PDA

View Full Version : Plant Suggestions

bamzam
01-25-2016, 02:26 AM
Hi all,

I think I'm ready to take a dive into the world of planted tanks. I like the look of the tanks that have a nice piece of manzanita wood as a centerpiece and very sparsely planted (3 or 4 plants). I don't want to use CO2, so I'm looking for some very low tech, easy plants to maintain. My LFS recommended amazon swords, so I think I'll go with a couple of those. But it might be nice to have some variety...do you guys have any recommendations for another type of easily maintained plant that can survive in a discus atmosphere?

Just some background, I have a standard size 75 gallon community tank that I keep at 84 degrees with 5 discus that I've grown out to about 5" so far. The tanks mates are 2 angelfish, a school of cardinal tetras, 2 german blue rams, and 1 albino BN pleco. The tank has sand as substrate and is currently decorated with a lot of large rocks, some fake plants, and a piece of malaysian looking driftwood. I think the fish would appreciate the extra room if I get rid of all this stuff and replace it with one manzanita and just a few plants. For equipment, I use a Eheim classic 600 for filtration with purigen instead of the carbon filter, a coralife turbo twist 9 watt UV, Eheim jager 250 watt heater, and a marineland LED that came with my tank. I feed 2 or 3 times a day, with 50-60% daily water changes, and leave the light on about 5 hours a day. It's really a pain to clean around those rocks which is what brought about this decision to change up the decor.

Any recommendations for plants other than amazon swords that will work with these conditions/equipment? I wouldn't mind upgrading my LED if needed. Or last chance to talk me out of it?

Thanks in advance!

Wes
01-25-2016, 09:48 AM
These plants could handle the higher temps in a discus tank.

Red Melon, Ruffle, Rangeri, Ozelot or Jade Swords

Heteranthera
Didiplis Diandra
Hygrophila
Rotala Indica
Anubias
African Bolbitus
Vals
Crypts
Spatterdock
Java / Lace Ferns
Java moss