PDA

View Full Version : Treating Hex?

delta5
01-25-2016, 10:41 AM
Both of my fish are eating, but while cleaning the excess food and poop this morning I found a transparent/white string. Looks like the photos of hex. I know it could be the frozen bloodworms, but I don't want to wait. Is it safe to treat for hex even if they don't have have it?

Altum Nut
01-25-2016, 11:17 AM
Never administer meds unless your sure what your treating for. No need to stress any Discus just because. Your suspicion of being bloodworms is possible but what to look for is any stringy poop that maybe to still dangling from bottom of fish. Keep up with your w/c for the time being.
Photos are always helpful...

...Ralph

delta5
01-25-2016, 01:23 PM
Never administer meds unless your sure what your treating for. No need to stress any Discus just because. Your suspicion of being bloodworms is possible but what to look for is any stringy poop that maybe to still dangling from bottom of fish. Keep up with your w/c for the time being.
Photos are always helpful...

...Ralph

They're pooping a lot. The following photos are x8 zoom.

seankelly
01-25-2016, 10:27 PM
I agree,don't jump the gun!!!!

Akili
01-25-2016, 10:33 PM
I agree,don't jump the gun!!!!+ 1 Hold on the meds just up the water changes and if you suspect bloodworms then just cut them back for a few days.

DISCUS STU
01-26-2016, 11:32 AM
Depending on what they're eating it may sometimes look like Hexamita when it's really just something working it's way through their gut. This doesn't look like Hex but it's a good idea to keep on top of it. Posting pictures is always a good idea.

John_Nicholson
01-26-2016, 11:57 AM
All fresh water fish have hex in their guts. It only becomes a problem when something else is going on. It is also why som many people fail in their treatments. They treat for hex but never for the real problem.

-john