PDA

View Full Version : Discus are fighting

delta5
01-26-2016, 11:47 PM
They been doing this rubbing each other thing for a few hours. As soon as the lights are near down to just the moon light setting one starts chasing the other one around the tank. Keeps bumping into her. Then they stay on opposite sides of the tank. The one I assume to be the male will eventually venture back over to her and try again.

discuspaul
01-26-2016, 11:52 PM
But nobody's getting hurt right ? They're just having fun with each other - their idea of being romantic ?

delta5
01-26-2016, 11:56 PM
But nobody's getting hurt right ? They're just having fun with each other - their idea of being romantic ?

No injuries. I don't think he is biting at her. Just using his mouth to push against her, but then sometimes she darts around really fast. I turned off the auto mode to my light and have it set really low so I can observe.

John_Nicholson
01-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Animals fight. It is completely normal. What I find odd is that people expect then not too. Fighting is a very important tool in nature. In all of my years of keeping discus I have never separated fish for this reason. I just let nature work it out.

-john

Phillydubs
01-27-2016, 12:02 PM
Delta, is this the "pair" or possible pair you think you have? That is fighting?

John- I know you are big on leaving it alone and I strongly agree... Have you ever noticed a pattern or time frame that is "normal" for sorting things out... Thankfully I have never had any major issues with this, just curious in your experience if you usually see a timeframe where the dust settles and all is well or it depends on the set-up, strain, environmental factors, etc...

delta5
01-27-2016, 12:25 PM
Delta, is this the "pair" or possible pair you think you have? That is fighting?

John- I know you are big on leaving it alone and I strongly agree... Have you ever noticed a pattern or time frame that is "normal" for sorting things out... Thankfully I have never had any major issues with this, just curious in your experience if you usually see a timeframe where the dust settles and all is well or it depends on the set-up, strain, environmental factors, etc...

Yes, but they're back to rubbing each other's underside. No torn fins or missing scales.

DISCUS STU
01-29-2016, 12:02 PM
It's animal and human nature to fight. Unless they're injuring each other or one is being incredibly stressed to the point of not being allowed to eat or illness, I wouldn't worry about it very much.

Aggression in Discus isn't necessarily gender related. This could be an aggressive female, there's no good way to tell, 50/50, unless you know the gender of the fish. Some of the most aggressive fish I've ever had were females.

Goldenmelondiscus
01-29-2016, 12:37 PM
I noticed last week that my biggest discus was guarding the frozen food I dropped in the tank. I have since solved the problem but thawing the cube in a cup of warm water and using a turkey baster to distribute the food. It works, but the bigger of my discus still chases the smaller one around. They both eat.

Akili
01-29-2016, 02:40 PM
I noticed last week that my biggest discus was guarding the frozen food I dropped in the tank. I have since solved the problem but thawing the cube in a cup of warm water and using a turkey baster to distribute the food. It works, but the bigger of my discus still chases the smaller one around. They both eat.Good to know another use of a turkey baster

delta5
01-29-2016, 07:00 PM
It's animal and human nature to fight. Unless they're injuring each other or one is being incredibly stressed to the point of not being allowed to eat or illness, I wouldn't worry about it very much.

Aggression in Discus isn't necessarily gender related. This could be an aggressive female, there's no good way to tell, 50/50, unless you know the gender of the fish. Some of the most aggressive fish I've ever had were females.

Is the male usually smaller than the female?

John_Nicholson
01-29-2016, 07:04 PM
No.

-john

Len
01-29-2016, 07:42 PM
No.

-john

John, could you just get to the point? You're so long winded lol

delta5
01-29-2016, 09:31 PM
If I go off size and the dorsal fin having a point, then the male is harassing the female.When he does this he loses his strips and sometimes becomes dark. It's like she is into the foreplay, but then it goes south really quick.

MD.David
01-29-2016, 10:46 PM
John,
I just wanted to say thanks for being so active on a forum like this, I notice you are so active in giving guidance to so many.
A person like you certainly add benifits to so many lives... (And discus lives as well).
Hope you have a great weekend.

Cheers!

John, could you just get to the point? You're so long winded lol