PDA

View Full Version : Mated Pair aggression ?

Discus3anatic
01-27-2016, 08:19 PM
The two discus i purchased from a local guy who was getting rid of his dads discus aparently are a mated pair and ive had em for like 3 months now.. I didnt know that when i got them as i just picked them out of the group of like 8 discus.. They are constantly laying eggs in my main tank and i do see wigglers after a couple days but then they are gone most likely eatin by the parents or the other fish in my tank.

However the main problem im having with these 2 discus is they are overly aggressive.. Like they swim as a pair and they pick on my other discus as a pair.. My snow white discus for expample constantly gets attacked by both of them together.. So do my other discus, and they zip around the tank and charge anyone and everything even when there are no eggs in the tank

So i finally got fed up with and i took one of them out just now and put him in my 29g tank in my bedroom which is where the main discus tank is as well. That tank is setup for discus as well but ive mainly used it just as a medication tank or a tank in case i have a discus that suddenly stops eating due to bullying or something.. I have two discus in it already, smaller ones who im trying to get eat again, they just couldnt handle the bigger discus in my tank as they got picked on or they were too scared to swim around..

Should I put the other discus in this tank as well ? So the mated pair are together ? I can move the two smaller discus in another tank (i ave 8 aquariums) or put them back in the main tank, since these two mated discus are my biggest and the main cause of aggression i think they will be ok going back in the main tank... But whatever i do i just cant have these two together in the main tank anymore they are litterally kicking the crap out of my other discus, no marks but 24/7 bullying as a pair.

Its a shame too because i love they way they look, and ive considered maybe just sell them and get different discus, but i like the size and colors on these two lol.

Kyla
01-27-2016, 09:10 PM
i just sold a lovely male discus for exactly the same reason u mention, cuz he was a terror. but before i sold him he stressed one of my other discus to the point that he died. he literally singled him out and bullied him to death.

some people will say that the aggression works itself out over time, and in most cases it probably does. but from now on i plan to intervene before any permanent damage is done.

Discus3anatic
01-27-2016, 10:03 PM
works it self over time is ******** because its getting worse over time actually, they never went as a pair and beat the crap out of my other discus and now they do.. But the agression is so bad some of my other discus dont even come out anymore..

Akili
01-27-2016, 10:42 PM
Since you have extra tanks move the pair to their own tank.You have a better chance of getting a spawn out of them.Any tank from 29 gal to 40 gal will work fine