PDA

View Full Version : Filter - water turnover

thommo75
01-27-2016, 08:56 PM
Guys,
I have a 340L tank and running a single 2217 eheim canister filter. It has a flow rate of 1000L/H so obviously I'm turning over the volume of my tank three times an hour. Is this sufficient? Was thinking of getting a second 2217 eheim to give more water turnover and assist when doing alternate cleaning of filters to prevent any mini cycles. Thoughts???

FishFanMan
01-28-2016, 02:14 AM
Not convinced turnover is paramount. As long as you have enough biological capacity to keep ammonia and nitrites at undetectable levels then you have enough filtration. I suppose the more turnover the clearer the water will be. I have a nitrate reactor with very slow flow rate but that's what it requires to convert nitrates to nitrogen gas. So for that turn over should be minimized.

jim LI
01-28-2016, 10:49 AM
I have a 72 gallon bow front tank. (275L) and i use 2 - 2217. great for the tank, plus double the media for BB. I also use Sachem Matrix http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Matrix.html with the substrat pro in the filters. This also gives you redundancy should 1 filter breakdown.