PDA

View Full Version : 60gal Filtration

djdirte
01-31-2016, 05:36 AM
hey guys... just about to get my 60gal tank going. I was given a few HOB filters- An Aquatech 20-40 and an Aquaclear 70. Both are pretty beat up, n need some heavy cleaning. Saying they are still working, are either of these recommended for my filtration? Should i use one? both? neither? If so, what kind of filtration medium would u suggest? If neither, what are some good suggestions you might have? I've been out of the aquarium game for quite a bit, n theres so much to look at.

I wanna do things right the first time, even if it means spending a few extra bucks.

briztoon
01-31-2016, 07:51 AM
If you haven't got water in the tank consider having your tank drilled and go with a sump.

Filtration really depends on what type set up you want, and how much work you want to do. Regardless of what type of filtration you go with, very regular water changes will always be more important.

djdirte
01-31-2016, 08:38 AM
If you haven't got water in the tank consider having your tank drilled and go with a sump.

Filtration really depends on what type set up you want, and how much work you want to do. Regardless of what type of filtration you go with, very regular water changes will always be more important.

of course, i recognize the importance of the water changes. i already have a 44gal brute that i use for water aging/preheating.

why do you suggest a sump vs HOB or canister?

MD.David
01-31-2016, 02:41 PM
Clean and use one of the HOB to remove particles out of the water.
I strongly recommend using 1or2 sponge filter(s) as your nitrification filtration.
I use ATI Hydro sponge #5 or XY380 Chinese sponge filters.
IMO, HOB are good for water particle removing but only ⅛ the nitrification of a seasoned sponge filter.
I would use the aquaclear 70 with a ATI#5 or XY380 sponge filter.

Cheers,