PDA

View Full Version : first discus...need some info

B1gc1ty87
01-31-2016, 09:28 PM
hey,
ive recently purchased my first discus. its seems very happy in the new aquarium93920 but i would like to know what kind i have and if its possible the sex!

ericNH
01-31-2016, 09:34 PM
It looks like a Red Turquoise to me. Couldn't tell you the sex.

Akili
01-31-2016, 09:41 PM
To me it looks like a turquoise not sure if it Red or Blue and there is no way of telling its sex from a picture and furthermore it is very young. A sure way of sexing a discus is when they spawn. Nothing personal but your Discus is not a shape that a good looking Discus should look like.

Phillydubs
01-31-2016, 10:16 PM
Is that your only discus? What else is in the tank and what size tank?

Akili
01-31-2016, 10:26 PM
Since this is your first Discus,please take some time and go through the stickies in Discus Basics for Beginners section and spend about an hour or so to watch this video Link below
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?48-Discus-Basics-for-Beginners

https://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8

rickztahone
02-01-2016, 04:35 PM
A turquoise discus. Welcome to the forum. Having only one discus is not ideal for that discus. You want them in groups of at least 5, however, you have to have the room for them. Preferably a 55g or larger

briztoon
02-01-2016, 05:04 PM
Welcome to Simply mate.

Keeping discus isn't like keeping most other fish. I highly recommend watching/listening to the video Akili posted.

B1gc1ty87
02-02-2016, 10:00 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. It's a 35 gallon and its housed with cherry shrimp, female Bettas, guppies and ottos.

Cosmo
02-02-2016, 10:41 PM
To me it looks like a turquoise not sure if it Red or Blue and there is no way of telling its sex from a picture and furthermore it is very young. A sure way of sexing a discus is when they spawn. Nothing personal but your Discus is not a shape that a good looking Discus should look like.

I'd rephrase that to your Discus's shape is not in accordance to the "standard" and would never win any prizes at a Discus competition, but at the same time, to me at least. he/she's a cute little guy. Looks healthy and has good color, if your fish are solely for your enjoyment and not for bragging rights, it's what you like that really counts :)

B1gc1ty87
02-04-2016, 12:36 PM
Thank you. Not trying to win any awards lol. Just really like them and found this forum from a YouTube video I watched, thought it would be a good resource in the event something went wrong.

Meshelly
02-04-2016, 01:46 PM
Well, welcome! You are in a good place for just about anything you need to know for the good of that little guy (non-gender specific term).

Darrell Ward
02-23-2016, 08:30 PM
Yeah, it looks a little stunted, but has good color, and otherwise looks healthy. Every discus keeper around has had a stunted fish at one time or another.:)