PDA

View Full Version : You would be so so proud of me

Nicole W
02-04-2016, 12:25 AM
Hi all,
As you all know I am new and I have started off with the not so good Discus.
But I do love them and will stick with them.
I bought a Discus last week and it wasn't acting like the others, hanging around the top and was getting picked on by ny tank bully.
I took him back to the shop and left him there for a week.
Sadly he died.
The guy at the shop said " Take another on, this one looks ok."
I observed the fish and I fought the urge to save one one from the same destiny.
I left the shop with a few items for my tank do over.
I love to save the sick and injured but after listening to every one here i opted to leave what ever disease in that display tank at the shop.
Yay me.

briztoon
02-04-2016, 04:14 AM
Awesome Nicole. Always good to see people taking hard lessons in their stride.

Akili
02-04-2016, 08:34 AM
:thumbsup: Well Done Nicole!!!

Second Hand Pat
02-04-2016, 08:59 AM
Good for you Nicole. :) The only one who makes out from buying a sick fish so the person who sold it. :(
Pat

DISCUS STU
02-04-2016, 11:39 AM
"Rescue" Discus are a tough proposition. On a related topic, sometimes I'll spot what seems to be a diamond in the rough, at the right price, at a lfs and will go for it with good results. Other times I wish I wish I hadn't as the full potential was unreachable from that particular specimen. These days I'm weaning myself off of the instant gratification because the long term results are hit or miss.

nofearengineer
02-12-2016, 04:36 AM
I talk with many aquarium hobbyists who quite naturally are animal lovers. Sometimes they get so bent out of shape over animals in pet stores being mistreated and kept in terrible conditions. Often their first reaction is "we need to buy those poor animals and get them away from that unscrupulous pet store!". And next they get mad at me for giving them the skinny: buying those animals will merely reinforce the pet shop's behavior, ensuring even more mistreated animals. Somehow, I'm the meanie... What they should be doing is ALWAYS be buying from the good stores....put those other slaughterhouses out of business.