PDA

View Full Version : Sunsun prefilter

djdirte
02-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Just picked up one of those sunsun canister filters(the one suitable for 130g tanks). The intake 'screen' is quite big. I was wondering how people that have the sunsuns set up their prefilter sponge. I have a few of those fluval edge prefilter sponges, but it only fits on the intake tube if I take the filter screen off. I'm wondering if this sponge is sturdy enough to run minus the screen.

tvoydan
02-09-2016, 10:53 AM
I just ordered some fluval pre-filters for my aquatop. I'll let you know how it works out for me. Should arrive Wed.

I was planning on slipping it over the intake or maybe cutting out the pre-filter a little if it's to small.

DJW
02-09-2016, 12:48 PM
I have found that in a planted tank where there are more bits of stuff floating around the fluval prefilters need to be cleaned every day, or they collect enough crud that they cave in at the middle because of the suction, and get an hourglass shape. That's because I only slip it on the tube half way to allow more surface area. Danner makes a pre-filter that has a courser sponge and a large enough opening that I can get the intake screen inside it, but my intake screen is a fluval so I don't know about the size of the sunsun intake screen.