PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate effects on discus?

jared.emmanuel
02-10-2016, 12:01 PM
Hi guys im researching the effects of phosphates on discus fish .My level is at 0.25 mg/l .Will that be considered bad when keeping discus ?

Akili
02-10-2016, 12:30 PM
High levels of phosphates do not harm your fish directly but the results is that the algae blooms. When algae blooms, along with green water can deplete the oxygen which in turn can harm the fish.Phosphates naturally occurs as wastes are broken down within the aquarium.

dghby
02-10-2016, 03:25 PM
High levels of phosphates do not harm your fish directly
hmmmm, I am not sure I would agree with that. very high levels of PO4 can and will effect and even kill fish. a big reason why in the marine hobby it is HIGHLY recommended that frozen foods
get rinsed with R/O water over and over again til the strained water is clear before feeding. if you was to test the PO4 levels in water that frozen food was allowed to thaw you would fine "off the chart" readings.
so without rinsing that food first the PO4 is very lethal and will Kill.
a level of .25 is not going to Kill, but HIGH levels most definitely will.

Akili
02-10-2016, 03:38 PM
hmmmm, I am not sure I would agree with that. very high levels of PO4 can and will effect and even kill fish. a big reason why in the marine hobby it is HIGHLY recommended that frozen foods
get rinsed with R/O water over and over again til the strained water is clear before feeding. if you was to test the PO4 levels in water that frozen food was allowed to thaw you would fine "off the chart" readings.
so without rinsing that food first the PO4 is very lethal and will Kill.
a level of .25 is not going to Kill, but HIGH levels most definitely will.Not going to dispute your reasons and findings,my reply was based on what I had read here http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/watercare/a/phosphates.htm

dghby
02-10-2016, 03:58 PM
Not going to dispute your reasons and findings,my reply was based on what I had read here http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/watercare/a/phosphates.htm
Oh I'm not looking for a debate. its been proven over and over that PO4 at high levels will harm fish. just think the OP should know that is all.

Akili
02-10-2016, 04:10 PM
Oh I'm not looking for a debate. its been proven over and over that PO4 at high levels will harm fish. just think the OP should know that is all.Neither was I and much appreciated, just that is a different view out there too in my opinion.

jared.emmanuel
02-11-2016, 02:57 AM
Thanks guys for your input I learnt something new :)