PDA

View Full Version : Biological media: Would this Work?

Mattgrizzlybear
02-13-2016, 12:12 PM
Hello i was just wobdering if this stuff would work for biological media or more mechanical, i think it coukd go both ways so i came here to ask :o Thanks!9444094439

Jack L
02-13-2016, 12:20 PM
would do both if its chem free and aquarium safe

i actually was looking at getting these, they are dirt cheap and there come in different densities, but i already had a working setup. i was going to use the various densities as a staged mech/bio filtration. but like i said, already have working setup.

Mattgrizzlybear
02-13-2016, 03:10 PM
would do both if its chem free and aquarium safe

i actually was looking at getting these, they are dirt cheap and there come in different densities, but i already had a working setup. i was going to use the various densities as a staged mech/bio filtration. but like i said, already have working setup.
Yeah i saw the different densities, do you think the harder ones would work better as bio?

brewmaster15
02-13-2016, 04:50 PM
From a surface area point of view they would work fine, but not sure what they are made of.. Its got to be inert.

I've known people in the past that have killed tanks of fish using foam that wasn't aquarium safe (furniture foam)

.. not sure I'd risk my fish. Those pads are meant to be disposable things...I would wonder about how the material would hold up and what it would leach into the tank.

Honestly as a safe alternative check out the Poret foam that Stephan sells at Swiss tropicals.

http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/

Many here use that material and love it.

al

Mattgrizzlybear
02-13-2016, 05:15 PM
From a surface area point of view they would work fine, but not sure what they are made of.. Its got to be inert.

I've known people in the past that have killed tanks of fish using foam that wasn't aquarium safe (furniture foam)

.. not sure I'd risk my fish. Those pads are meant to be disposable things...I would wonder about how the material would hold up and what it would leach into the tank.

Honestly as a safe alternative check out the Poret foam that Stephan sells at Swiss tropicals.

http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/

Many here use that material and love it.

al
Ok thanks, i will look into other media. Btw is that foam used for biological filtration on that website that you linked?

farebox
02-13-2016, 06:44 PM
I been using Poret foam from Swiss Tropicals in my 20G DIY sump well over two yrs now. Excellent bio filter, will last a very long time, easy to clean with garden hose when required.