PDA

View Full Version : 85g Rimless discus tank

david p.
02-13-2016, 07:36 PM
Hi,

Initial projet was a 72''x36''x30'' custom tank with 75g acrylic sump. Major set back last week, before ordering the tank i did a wood frame the same size of the tank and it could not go throught my stairs to the basement, a couple of inches were missing. (my initial post : http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?123043-300g-tank-advice-needed-for-plumbing-sump-pumps

I had to rethink everything, acrylic was not an option, my sump was my first acrylic build, don't want to risk it on my tank. So i was going for a smaller 72''x24 or 30'' tank. Yesterday, in my great despair i was surfing the net and stumble on a 85g Rimless (Blau) tank (used) at a reasonable price. I call the guy just to see the tank, it was in perfect condition. It size is 48''x20''x20''. It's now in my basement :o I already have a 65g hi-tech planted tank (Blau), and these tanks are sexy. The tank already has an overflow on (drilled on the bottom of the tank).

The project has downsized significantly (300g to 85g sight!!!), but for my first Discus tank, maybe it is wiser to start smaller than go big later. Who knows, I might get my 72'' anyway if i fall in love with Discus. And for much cheaper, i will be able to invest more on the fishes and hardware :)

I was also planning to get manzanita wood in it, but with a Blau, i might even go barebottom.

Tomorrow i will build my stand and order my acrylic for the sump.

Any good breeders that can ship in canada ? i found a couple, but don't know their reputation.

David

magplate
02-20-2016, 10:20 AM
Those tanks are beautiful, can't wait to see your setup.

Akili
02-20-2016, 10:59 AM
Hi,
Any good breeders that can ship in canada ? i found a couple, but don't know their reputation.

DavidContact Vern Archer at http://www.archersdiscus.com/ He is one of the best that I have known over 25 years.

david p.
02-20-2016, 03:38 PM
wow, thanks. i will certainly contact him once my set up is ready.

david p.
02-20-2016, 04:24 PM
I completed my stand, nothing fancy. It will be covered with black panels on the sides, and 2 doors with the same finish. Similar to the furniture you see on the right of the stand.

Next item on the list is the sump. I was going for a custom acrylic, but i found a brand new 40g tank for cheap. I received my baffles. Next step is to silicone all that.
Section 1: First step of filtration will be mecanical, some filter pads and ceramic media in the lower part.
Section 2: Moving bed with 1 cubic feet of K1 Media. I'm lost for the selction of the air pump, i find a lot of info on big moving bed for the air pumps, but have not been lucky for that small quantity of media.
Section 3: mostly ceramic media
Section 4: 2x 300w heaters and return pump

I will run a UV sterilizer in line with the return. i got the Coralife Turbo Twister 18watts, i know it's not the best, but for now it will do.
My return pump is a lifegard QuietOne model 6000, i get plenty of flow and it's adjutable, i want to target a 7x to 10x turn around with a head of 4feet.

I will drill an overflow in the sump beacuse of the drip system iwant to try.

If any of you use moving bed, what type of air pump do you use for what volume of media ?

thanks

david