PDA

View Full Version : Auction Auction!!! Red Hot!!!First Coast Discus

brewmaster15
02-14-2016, 01:16 PM
Hi all,

Its been a while since we have done an auction for Simply and I am really happy to post this one now. Ryan Smith (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/member.php?8404-Ryan) (aka former SimplyDiscus Webmaster Extraordinaire) and his company First Coast Discus (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?366-First-Coast-Discus-%28Ryan-Smith%29-Central-Florida) have offered us some seriously beautiful discus. We have a set of 4 each 5 " RSG Discus from Ricky Lim.!!!!:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shock ed: Thats right! They are a really beautiful group of fish! But why take it from me... judge yourself! These fish are really Nice. They are about 5 Inches SL (Standard Length--which is nose to caudal peduncle)!!

Auction Rules: Please READ BEFORE BIDDING!!!!

1. You have to be a registered member of the forum for at least five days prior to the start of the auction (the auction starts FEB 14) or have at least 5 posts prior to the start of the contest.. Any bid received from a member not meeting this criteria will be deleted.

2. Bids are to be placed in this thread. You are bidding on the entire set of 4 pcs 5 " RSG. This is a beautiful group and will be sold as a group.

3. Canadian members may participate if they can take delivery of the auction fish within the US. Please contact Ryan (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/member.php?8404-Ryan) prior to bidding to ensure a delivery location. Also ensure you are aware of any paperwork required to bring the fish into Canada.

4. Shipping will be included in the Auction so take that into account when you bid. (Fedex to all locations in the USA), that alone is $100 value!

5. The auction ends at Sunday, February 21th at 8:00 PM EST (eastern standard time). Any bid time stamped after 8:00 PM is considered null and void. Be wise, Bid early if you want to win and bid generously! Payment is due at Auction end and shall be made through Paypal. Winner will be notified at contest end.

6. We have tried to anticipate all issues and make the rules clear and concise, but should an issue or problem arise we maintain all rights to resolve it as we see fit. You agree to this by your participation in these auction.

****For this auction all Moderators and Admins with the exception of myself will be allowed to bid. I would absolutely Love these fish but I will not participate.***

In addition to Ryan's generous donation, I will also contribute 100 grams of my Freeze Dried Black Worms with Spinach, shipping included as an extra prize for the auction winner.

I'd Really like to thank Ryan for this Auction. He spent years and years donating his time helping to build this forum with the teams here past and present. Now as he has turned the page and become an Importer of Ricky Lim Discus, he again comes through for SimplyDiscus. Sponsors like you help keep the forum here for our members. Thank you Ryan!!!

If you are looking for some seriously nice fish , be sure to check out his sponsor board (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?366-First-Coast-Discus-%28Ryan-Smith%29-Central-Florida) and consider him for your Discus Needs.

Let the Bidding Begin!!! Who will be the Lucky SimplyDiscus Member to win these awesome fish?

Al

Caseydiscus
02-14-2016, 01:30 PM
100 dollars

brewmaster15
02-14-2016, 01:37 PM
100 dollars
There you go! Our First Bid for our First Coast Auction! thank you Caseydiscus!!

al

astrochick00
02-14-2016, 01:41 PM
$200

RichT
02-14-2016, 01:55 PM
$400.

astrochick00
02-14-2016, 02:20 PM
$500

:p

nc0gnet0
02-14-2016, 02:39 PM
$575.00

AquaMike
02-14-2016, 03:37 PM
$600

brewmaster15
02-14-2016, 05:02 PM
Great start to the auction everyone! Good Luck and Thank You!
Al

rickztahone
02-14-2016, 09:18 PM
Great start indeed! AquaMike leads the pack with a $600 bid.

magplate
02-14-2016, 10:41 PM
$650

brewmaster15
02-15-2016, 08:37 AM
$650

NICE! Thanks Steve!

astrochick00
02-15-2016, 08:45 AM
I want to raise the bar a little bit here. These are very, very nice fish and the free shipping adds $100-$150 of value to the auction. But the purpose is not just for one person to get these nice fish; the purpose is to raise money for simply. I'm going to bid ONCE more, mostly because I don't realistically have a tank for these guys (though I can slap one up in a hurry if I got really lucky). My bid comes with a pledge, and I want to see if anyone else will do this:

I'm bidding $725. I seriously don't think that's enough to win this auction, so I'm also pledging to donate 10% of that bid if I don't win. So Simply will get $72.50 out of me regardless. Are any of the previous bidders or future bidders willing to do the same?

brewmaster15
02-15-2016, 11:08 AM
I want to raise the bar a little bit here. These are very, very nice fish and the free shipping adds $100-$150 of value to the auction. But the purpose is not just for one person to get these nice fish; the purpose is to raise money for simply. I'm going to bid ONCE more, mostly because I don't realistically have a tank for these guys (though I can slap one up in a hurry if I got really lucky). My bid comes with a pledge, and I want to see if anyone else will do this:

I'm bidding $725. I seriously don't think that's enough to win this auction, so I'm also pledging to donate 10% of that bid if I don't win. So Simply will get $72.50 out of me regardless. Are any of the previous bidders or future bidders willing to do the same?

Lindsay, That is super generous of you! Thank you!!!:)

Al

brewmaster15
02-16-2016, 08:45 AM
Get your bids in on these awesome fish everyone! You never know, you could be high bidder and win!

Al

rickztahone
02-16-2016, 02:56 PM

Very generous indeed Lindsay. I know what it is like not having a tank setup for something you are bidding on, but I'm sure it can be done! Good luck!

astrochick00
02-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Thanks Ricardo,

I will be seriously shocked if someone doesn't increase this bid. These fish retail for $200 each, I'm sure, plus the shipping and FDBW's....it's a steal at $725. I will have a tank up in no-time and be doing a happy dance the whole time. My realistic meter, sadly, says that this auction is about an $1100 value. But my fingers are crossed!!!

brewmaster15
02-18-2016, 01:13 PM
4 days to go !!!
al

Second Hand Pat
02-19-2016, 08:29 AM
Three day count down folks. These are sweet fish. :) I have seen them in person so I know. :D:D At this rate Lindsay is walking away with a sweet deal. :D
Pat

brewmaster15
02-21-2016, 09:00 AM
Just under 12 hours left everyone. Dont miss out on these awesome fish and the chance to do a good thing here for SimplyDiscus. We don't get these opportunities often to auction off Fish here...but when we do they are always super nice Fish..hand picked for us.

You know you want these fish...go for it!

Good luck !
Al

Keith Perkins
02-21-2016, 04:41 PM

Less than 4:30 left and this bid still stands? That's pretty amazing. Too bad my taxes didn't come out better.

brewmaster15
02-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Less than 2 hours to go... Lindsay, you may need to get a tank ready!

astrochick00
02-21-2016, 08:08 PM
This is insane. I did bring a tank up, just in case. I can't believe that there's not somebody out there that's just playing it cool and waiting until the 11th hour to try to keep the price down. These are the nicest RSG's I've ever seen.

LizStreithorst
02-21-2016, 08:59 PM
$775.

brewmaster15
02-21-2016, 09:00 PM
Folks auction is over and we have a winner!

brewmaster15
02-21-2016, 09:02 PM
Congratulations Liz! You got a royal steal here!.

Thanks everyone for bidding...and thank you Ryan for your generousity!

Al

Ryan
02-21-2016, 09:11 PM
Congratulations, Liz! And thank you to everyone who bid in the auction. These have been one of my favorite strains since I first saw them in person in 2014. I jumped at the chance to import them again. Ricky does not have these available very often!

Second Hand Pat
02-21-2016, 09:29 PM
Congrats Liz, very nice group of fish. One of my favorites too. :D
Pat

LizStreithorst
02-21-2016, 09:31 PM
Ryan I've had tried unsuccessfully to buy a pair of good non-albino RSGs for 8 years. I even tried having a sponsor here special order some for me!

These fish are more than I ever dreamed of owning. They are magnificent. They are show fish. I thought that they'd go for $1000. to $1200. They should have. I hope you can take consolation the fact that you have fulfilled my wildest discus dream. Thank you,
Liz

Disgirl
02-21-2016, 09:32 PM
Big congratulations Liz! For those here who don't know Liz, I can assure you she will give them the best of homes. They will want for nothing.
Barb

nc0gnet0
02-21-2016, 09:34 PM
Congratulations Liz, I expect babies soon!

LizStreithorst
02-21-2016, 09:40 PM
You know that's why I want them Rick. I was watching the clock. I was surprised that you didn't outbid me during the last 15 seconds.

nc0gnet0
02-21-2016, 09:46 PM

I'm good with this, didn't want to deter any bids so I didn't post until now.......

-Rick

Second Hand Pat
02-21-2016, 09:49 PM
I'm good with this, didn't want to deter any bids so I didn't post until now.......

-Rick

Very generous Rick, I think I will join you. :)
Pat

Mugwump
02-21-2016, 09:59 PM
Congrat's Liz...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

korbi_doc
02-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Congrats Liz, I'm so happy for you & I will be following this one & wish you the best...lots of beautiful babies!!!!

discuspaul
02-22-2016, 04:46 PM
Way to go, Liz !!!

rickztahone
02-22-2016, 07:04 PM
Liz, you got such beautiful discus coming your way! I know you will do right by them :). Remember, you must post pictures.

LizStreithorst
02-22-2016, 07:41 PM
Lady and gentlemen, I still can't believe that this is true. I think of nothing but these fish. Something must be wrong in my head.

I spoke to Ryan on the phone today. I judge him to be an honest, kind man, who knows Discus well. I give him two thumbs up. I'd give him three if I'd been born with an extra thumb.

rsawest@yahoo.com
02-22-2016, 08:26 PM
So happy for you Liz! Way to go.

LizStreithorst
02-22-2016, 08:39 PM
Thank you Linda.

Second Hand Pat
02-22-2016, 09:51 PM
Lady and gentlemen, I still can't believe that this is true. I think of nothing but these fish. Something must be wrong in my head.

I spoke to Ryan on the phone today. I judge him to be an honest, kind man, who knows Discus well. I give him two thumbs up. I'd give him three if I'd been born with an extra thumb.

You judge correctly Liz :)

Altum Nut
02-23-2016, 12:24 AM
Congrates Liz...you scored some real beauties. You can breath now...Dim the lights with some Barry White playing in the background and that should set the mood.
Special thanks to Ryan of First Coast Discus for the generous support...your a class act my friend.

...Ralph

Phillydubs
03-03-2016, 11:38 PM
Any update here? Have these been shipped? How are they doing Liz?

LizStreithorst
03-04-2016, 12:35 AM
I asked Ryan to hold them for me until next week. He'll be shipping them Monday. I can't wait.

Ryan
03-04-2016, 01:18 AM
They've been very feisty here. Lots of swatting and tail-slapping and attacking my hands when I feed them. They've got good personalities. I hope Liz loves them.

Phillydubs
03-04-2016, 09:59 AM
Hell if she doesn't send them
My way!! Haha!!

Akili
03-04-2016, 10:55 AM
Hell if she doesn't send them
My way!! Haha!!LOL and I thought I was next in line.

Phillydubs
03-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Exciting stuff Liz!!! Good luck with them!

LizStreithorst
03-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Nobody is next in line, sorry. If you wanted these fish as much as I do you'd have bought them. They are superb fish and they were a steal. I'm getting their QT tank set up for them now. Everything will be separate from the fish room and sterile. If they are not all males I'll make many beautiful babies. If they are all male I'm pretty sure how I will proceed.

I may well take the best of these to the NADA show. It'll be a 2 day trip for me but Dottie says that I can tank them overnight at her house. Ryan is unsure if he will be able to make it. The fish he sells from Ricky Lim should be represented at the show.

I'm excited all over again. Just 2 more days until these beauties are here.

Keith Perkins
03-06-2016, 04:30 PM
It would be a shame not to have Ricky's fish represented at the show. I'd love to meet Ryan, but I guess I'll have to settle for seeing some of his fish through you Liz if he doesn't make it.

Ryan
03-09-2016, 06:04 PM
After a crazy week, topped off by one of the most stressful and unusual FedEx service interruptions I've ever personally dealt with, I think Liz finally has her fish! Now I can take a Xanax and go to bed.

Phillydubs
03-09-2016, 06:08 PM
Eeeessshhh! Last thing you want to hear with such nice fish is fed ex issues!!

Hope all went well and they are safe, healthy and happy!!!

Second Hand Pat
03-09-2016, 06:36 PM
After a crazy week, topped off by one of the most stressful and unusual FedEx service interruptions I've ever personally dealt with, I think Liz finally has her fish! Now I can take a Xanax and go to bed.

Sleep well Ryan.

LizStreithorst
03-09-2016, 06:37 PM
It would be a shame not to have Ricky's fish represented at the show. I'd love to meet Ryan, but I guess I'll have to settle for seeing some of his fish through you Liz if he doesn't make it.

I would love to meet him as well, Keith. He is a fine man.

The fish arrived today. Fed Ex was totally screwed up by severe weather and then their tracking system went down! They didn't have a clue what box was where. Tracking still says that they are sitting in Memphis but they were delivered this afternoon and they fish are alive and fine and vibrant. They are everything my heart desired. Shipping was a mess for sure, but it ended well.

Ryan I wish you the same success with the other 2 shipments. We underwent a huge amount of stress while both doing our best to stay calm. (you were better at calm than I was but I did my best). You are a fine man. I look forward to buying more fish from you.

LizStreithorst
03-09-2016, 06:46 PM

I wish I could do the same. I'm so overly worn out from stress that I don't want to eat. I still have a huge ton of water to change before I it the sack. I won't need a Xanax. I will totally zonk on my own. Thanks again for everything.

Phillydubs
03-09-2016, 07:42 PM
Happy to hear! Please post pics when they settle and best of luck!!

Keith Perkins
03-09-2016, 08:01 PM
Great to hear those beautiful fish arrived in good shape, even if a little late.

Second Hand Pat
03-09-2016, 09:25 PM
Definitely want pictures Liz. Loved these fish in person...totally lovely. :)
Pat

LizStreithorst
03-09-2016, 09:34 PM
They just got put into a Qt tank. I'll post pics when the fish are ready for pics. I'm not much of a photographer, but I will do my best. I promise you will see one in person at NADA.

rickztahone
03-09-2016, 09:54 PM
They just got put into a Qt tank. I'll post pics when the fish are ready for pics. I'm not much of a photographer, but I will do my best. I promise you will see one in person at NADA.

LizStreithorst
03-09-2016, 10:12 PM

I actually have a very good camera but I'm not smart with some things. I'd need a human being in the flesh to show me how to get the best pics. Photo shop is over my head. I don't have the time nor the passion to learn.

I'll post pics of the fish when I can. If my pics disgrace them, everyone will have to wait until NADA and see one in person.

LizStreithorst
03-13-2016, 02:34 PM
Here are a couple of pics of them in their 30 gallon QT tank. There is a good bit of aggression in the tank. Lots of tail slapping and biting. As long as I see that no harm is being done it's OK with me. After all, these are adolescents on the way to becoming adults. Boys that age will fight over a woman.

I am no photographer. The first pic of is of a bit of an altercation among 3 fish. The second is is of the two that I caught shimming and shaking to one another.

I wasn't able to upload the pics.

Second Hand Pat
03-13-2016, 02:45 PM
Here are a couple of pics of them in their 30 gallon QT tank. There is a good bit of aggression in the tank. Lots of tail slapping and biting. As long as I see that no harm is being done it's OK with me. After all, these are adolescents on the way to becoming adults. Boys that age will fight over a woman.

I am no photographer. The first pic of is of a bit of an altercation among 3 fish. The second is is of the two that I caught shimming and shaking to one another.

I wasn't able to upload the pics.

Liz, make sure the pics are less then 2MBs.
Pat

LizStreithorst
03-13-2016, 02:58 PM
They are smaller. I guess I have turned stupid. It's not like I haven'd uploaded pics to this site before.

Second Hand Pat
03-13-2016, 03:18 PM
Paul, redid the way some stuff works so not stupid :)

Liz's pictures posted with permission,

LizStreithorst
03-13-2016, 03:28 PM
Thanks, Pat.

Second Hand Pat
03-13-2016, 03:29 PM
Thanks, Pat.

:thumbsup:

Larry Bugg
03-13-2016, 03:30 PM
Those are amazing Liz. Great score!!

rickztahone
03-13-2016, 03:39 PM
absolutely gorgeous discus.

LizStreithorst
03-13-2016, 03:41 PM
I am in love with them, Mr. Bugg.

Disgirl
03-13-2016, 04:05 PM
Wow Liz, they are even more beautiful than I thought. A++++
Do you have one of my cones in with them? They may need it soon.
Barb

Ryan
03-13-2016, 04:34 PM
Their color is really something in person. There's an interesting swirling pattern in the blue-green iridescence that pictures don't really capture. I probably spent too much time examining them up close because I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Haha

LizStreithorst
03-13-2016, 04:36 PM
No cone yet, Barb. They are still in QT. If a female needs to lay she will lay on something.

A am actually not sure if I want to raise fry from these until after NADA. I've been told that a fish bound for a show should not be allowed to raise fry. That it's either a show fish or a breeder. I want the best of both worlds. I want to show a first and then bring it home and let it breed. It's a risk to take a fish to a show and be exposed to other fish in the same room. I've never seen a disaster at NADA but there was a huge disaster at an ACA years ago due to a shared net.. They are more careful at NADA shows than ACA, but still, taking one's best fish to a show always involves a degree of risk.

Ardan
03-13-2016, 08:05 PM
Awesome! Really nice.

I will see them in Chicago:)

Ardan

LizStreithorst
03-13-2016, 08:25 PM
Awesome! Really nice.

I will see them in Chicago:)

Ardan

You will indeed, Ardan :sun:

korbi_doc
03-13-2016, 08:45 PM
Hey Liz, I am so happy for you! those are just gorgeous fish & look like they are ready to take on the world....it'll be nice to see'm when they get to my place! I sure wish you the best of luck with them, but you don't need it, lol. see you soon...looking forward to the fun....

brewmaster15
03-14-2016, 08:25 AM
Liz, they Look awesome. I have to thank Ryan again for donating them to the forum for an auction. Really appreciate it Ryan!.. Liz said you were a fine man, You are also a fine sponsor and Friend.:) Thank you!

And thanks again to everyone that bid and especially to Liz for the winning Bid, I wish her the best with them!

Al

LizStreithorst
04-08-2016, 04:41 PM
I have eggs, folks. Thank you so much Ryan. You have made me feel that with me and Discus, the best is yet to come. It's been a long time since I've felt like that and the feeling is glorious.

Akili
04-08-2016, 04:43 PM
I have eggs, folks. Thank you so much Ryan. You have made me feel that with me and Discus, the best is yet to come. It's been a long time since I've felt like that and the feeling is glorious.Congrats and good luck!!!!

Phillydubs
04-08-2016, 05:04 PM
So awesome to hear!!! Have you see any make activity or passes ??

LizStreithorst
04-08-2016, 05:18 PM
I didn't see him make passes. He may have taken some swipes while my back was turned but I don't think so. Remember, these are young and males mature later than females. He's sure guarding the eggs though, so we will see.

Keith Perkins
04-09-2016, 08:56 AM
Here's hoping to seeing juvies available at the NADA show. :)