PDA

View Full Version : discus egg help

delta5
02-15-2016, 11:38 AM
My discus laid their eggs high on the pvc pipe. So if I were to change the water the eggs would be exposed to the air. What should I do?

Akili
02-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Just remove enough water that the eggs are not exposed to air. Drop the water level just above the eggs.

dghby
02-15-2016, 12:01 PM
is it just PVC pipe you have in there for the purpose of them laying eggs? if so, just turn the pipe around.

delta5
02-15-2016, 12:18 PM
is it just PVC pipe you have in there for the purpose of them laying eggs? if so, just turn the pipe around.

I have it stuck inside a clay pot to hold it in place. The eggs are to close to one end and I have about 65-70g of water in the tank now. I can prob remove only 10-15g of water without exposing the eggs. I just hope they don't eat the eggs when I go to remove the fish poop.

Akili
02-15-2016, 12:24 PM
I have it stuck inside a clay pot to hold it in place. The eggs are to close to one end and I have about 65-70g of water in the tank now. I can prob remove only 10-15g of water without exposing the eggs. I just hope they don't eat the eggs when I go to remove the fish poop.Most likely they will not, as a matter of fact they sometimes get aggressive. I have young pair that when they have eggs the female will attack my hand.

delta5
02-15-2016, 12:37 PM
Most likely they will not, as a matter of fact they sometimes get aggressive. I have young pair that when they have eggs the female will attack my hand.

When I had a pair of black convicts they became brutal. I could put my finger on the outside of the glass and they'd ram the glass trying to get my finger. Removing waste was ww3 with them. If these eggs hatch and survive they'll throw a wrench into our vacation in June? We plan to be gone for 7 days.

Alight
02-15-2016, 12:40 PM
You can also remove and add water at the same time. Use one hose to remove the water and the other to add water back in. Just control the rate to make sure you neither take the level too low, or allow it flood out of the tank.

delta5
02-15-2016, 12:42 PM
You can also remove and add water at the same time. Use one hose to remove the water and the other to add water back in. Just control the rate to make sure you neither take the level too low, or allow it flood out of the tank.

I will try the 2 hose idea.

btw, any idea what the fry will be worth at 2.5"?

Alight
02-15-2016, 06:24 PM
If this is your first hatching, as they say, don't count your fry until they are 2.5 inches long. Typically, first hatching get eaten or the eggs are not fertile and none hatch. If they do hatch the fry sometimes don't attach or the parents eat them. If they do attach sometimes the parents still eat them at some point. Even if all works, sometimes the fry are misformed and not worth anything. If they do get past 15 days, sometimes the fry die off when the fry get dime sized, sometimes larger. I don't want to be too discouraging, but having eggs is the easy part. You can do fairly little about most of the problems above except for making sure they get feed lots of live brine shrimp when the time comes. Oh, yeah, and how much they are worth varies widely depending on where you live, how nice your parent fish are, the strain they are, how healthy the fry are, and how many discus people that want fish live near you, and whether you are willing to ship them, etc. So anywhere from a few cents to 10 even 20$.

lksdrinker
02-15-2016, 09:46 PM
Sounds like you're getting a bit ahead of yourself here. Can you even confirm if the eggs were fertilized?

Larry Bugg
02-15-2016, 10:08 PM
You can do a water change as normal. It won't affect the eggs to be out of the water for a little while.

delta5
02-15-2016, 10:26 PM
Sounds like you're getting a bit ahead of yourself here. Can you even confirm if the eggs were fertilized?

I watched one lay the eggs and the other go over them and noticed it do a wiggle motion. Reminded me of a male yellow lab's dance when he fert the eggs.

Larry Bugg
02-16-2016, 01:15 AM
Two females will do the exact same thing. Very common. Until you see wigglers you won't know for sure.

John_Nicholson
02-16-2016, 08:59 AM
Larry is correct on all accounts.

-john

Akili
02-16-2016, 10:52 AM
Two females will do the exact same thing. Very common. Until you see wigglers you won't know for sure.

Larry is correct on all accounts.

-johnGuys OP got this pair from LFS where they had spawned and had wrigglers, he has a thread when he bought them

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?122733-Are-these-good-Discus&highlight=delta5

delta5
02-16-2016, 01:19 PM
it's been roughly 39 hours since the eggs were laid. I noticed a couple have turned white.

Akili
02-16-2016, 02:16 PM
it's been roughly 39 hours since the eggs were laid. I noticed a couple have turned white.Most likely they did not get fertilized.

John_Nicholson
02-16-2016, 03:39 PM
You will almost always have a few that turn white. No need to worry yet. Hopefully the others wills tart to darken up.

-john

delta5
02-16-2016, 04:25 PM
You will almost always have a few that turn white. No need to worry yet. Hopefully the others wills tart to darken up.

-john

Like the color of a terracotta pot? Most of them look like that.

John_Nicholson
02-16-2016, 05:12 PM
If they are fertile they will hatch at approximately 60 hours depending on temp. All you can do is to be patent and watch them now. Use this as a learning experience.

-john

delta5
02-17-2016, 10:20 AM
I see tails!

Akili
02-17-2016, 10:36 AM
I see tails! Another 48 hours from the hatch, fry will start to swim off. The parents will capture the one that will get away and spit them back.

Akili
02-17-2016, 10:40 AM
Just in case you have not come across this.You may find it helpful.
http://www.discusnada.org/breeding-discus/
http://www.chensdiscus.co.uk/breeding

delta5
02-17-2016, 10:44 AM
Just in case you have not come across this.You may find it helpful.
http://www.discusnada.org/breeding-discus/
http://www.chensdiscus.co.uk/breeding

Thanks. I been doing a lot of reading but wasn't sure which links to trust.

Akili
02-17-2016, 11:14 AM
Thanks. I been doing a lot of reading but wasn't sure which links to trust.I read as much as I can and make notes.In this case one from NADA is a pretty good bet.