PDA

View Full Version : My beginner story

tvo
02-17-2016, 06:40 PM
I finally committed to keeping discus after discovering the forum 3 months ago. Ever since, I started devouring information on the forum like going thru a GRRM’s book for the first time. I tear down the 55 gallon + 35 gallon sump planted tank with a few angels and neon tetras that had been running for over a year. All the plants and fish were sold off. My mind was set to having a discus only tank. The tank, sump and all equipment’s were disinfected with bleach and were left running as a fishless bare bottom tank. After a month, I was confident that the tank was ready for discus so on January 1st I placed an order with Kenny’s Discus for 6 (3.5 to 4 inches) discus. But I was wrong, the tank wasn’t ready because it wasn’t cycled correctly. I didn’t add any ammonia during the duration of the fishless tank to get the nitrogen cycle started. Worse of all was I realized my mistake only a few days before receiving the discus order. I panic and drove to PetSmart to buy one of the SafeStart bottles. I brought the SafeStart bottle home and wasn’t really sure if it was going to make a difference but I finally pour it into the sump’s poret foam anyway. I figured by doing so at least made me feel proactive that I did something. More research was done on the forum and I found out that doing large amount of water changes every day would reduce the amount of ammonia and nitrite until the tank is cycled. I was committed to do 80+% water change each day raising these discus anyway.

The 6 discus from Kenny finally arrived on January 20th, i was excited and worried at the same time. The discus were acclimated in their shipping bags to the tank’s temperature of 84C for an hour and then they were "drop and flop" in the tank. After that I let them be in the dark and left for work. I returned in the afternoon and tested the ammonia and nitrite level and as expected both were high on the scale so I did an 80% water change with extra Sechem Safe added to neutralize the Ammonia. On the second day, all 6 discus now started to come out more, responded well to the first feeding, though they get spook and hide, typical behavior of acclimating to the new tank. I continued my maintenance routines, 80% water change every day from an aging barrel with extra Sechem Safe added to condition the water.

After a week, the tank’s condition started to improve, ammonia and nitrite level begun to drop and all 6 discus were no longer spook every time I approach the tank. The discus now started to show some signs of aggression toward each other and to the smallest koi discus of the bunch but it wasn’t serious, at least I thought. After the end of the second week, i started to notice that the smaller koi discus had gone hiding and no longer interested in food. I wasn’t sure what to do with it then so I just let it be by itself. The other 5 remaining discus were fine, out and about, eating as normal on FDBW, homemade BH. After a few more days gone by and the smaller koi condition didn’t improve and I noticed it stomach had bulged up, like it was constipated. I figured it may be bloated so I treated the whole tank with 2 tbsp per 10gallon of Epson salt for 24hrs. The Epson salt treatment didn’t have any effect on the koi fish, though I did see some time after it was out swimming about with the group of 5 other discuses but it was still not eating. At that point I started to worry not only to the sick koi but to the wellbeing of the rest of group. I realized now that the correct approach then was to isolate the sick koi by moving it to a hospital tank but I didn’t have a hospital tank ready. It remained in the main tank for a few more days until it finally passed away on 2/15, almost 4 weeks after arrival.

What I gathered from my research thru the forum was the koi may have had dropsy, caused by stress, from shipping, being in an uncycled tank, being picked on, etc. It is now 2 days after the koi passed away in the main tank, all 5 other discus are doing great, showing no sign of sickness as of yet. My normal maintenance routine is still 80% water change each day. I hope they will remain healthy but just a precaution I am going to have a hospital tank ready and plan to buy some metro just in case.

rickztahone
02-17-2016, 08:33 PM
Although you joined in October, I'd still like to welcome you on board now :).

It looks like you did everything correct. It would have been great to have had a fully cycled tank via fishless cycle, but that isn't always possible. You seem to have adjusted in the circumstances, I think you did well regardless. Remember, these discus come in from overseas to Kenny, then QT'd for a period and then shipped to you. They aren't week, but their immune system isn't at an optimal rate to possibly fully combat an uncycled tank. That one simply may have been the weakest, got picked on and possibly gotten bloat, all of which could of led to its death. It doesn't seem like this has discouraged you, and I am happy to see that your other discus are doing well.

I wish more new members took initiative as you did.

However, you must know, if you have been reading here for a while, if you make a post like this, you MUST include pictures!

:)

ericNH
02-17-2016, 10:53 PM
Oh tvo you don't yet realize what you've done. You've been bitten by the bug. And judging by your post you are developing a particularly severe case. Discus Fever.

Joking aside I admire the intensity in your approach - you're diving right in and it sounds to me like there's great potential in your discus journey! And make with the pics, share!

Tshethar
02-17-2016, 11:11 PM
Best of luck and thanks for sharing. I'm pretty much right there with ya, learning through experience with some downs as well as, hopefully, some ups and some knowledge gained. Hope the rest of the group does well for you and look forward to the pics!

tvo
02-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Thank you. I really appreciate all the encouraging words.

Here is a short video of them feeding on FDBW this morning. Feisty red Fiamma Rossa discus is picking on everyone in the tank. There are some little brown Algea off the corner, lol guess I missed a few spots during the weekend tank scrubbing.

https://youtu.be/HRLeNKFlmbw

Second Hand Pat
02-18-2016, 10:24 AM
Welcome to Simply tvo (three months late :)). Nice looking group you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRLeNKFlmbw&feature=youtu.be

Akili
02-18-2016, 10:31 AM
Nice setup with good looking fish, Thanks for sharing.

Phillydubs
02-18-2016, 10:39 AM
Good morning and welcome... Although sad that you had a bit of an uphill climb to start it is very encouraging to me and I hope to yourself that you did all you could to combat your issues, so kudos to you!

You are off to a much better start than many others, myself included... You have purchased good fish from good stock, you are committed to maintenance and water changes and you are here asking for advice and gaining knowledge every day! Kinda hard to go wrong with that formula!

What you encountered happens, we all make mistakes or get so excited we miss a step... You kept the rest alive and they look healthy so keep on with what you have and chalk your loss up to experience and other factors that may have been out of your control...

Welcome!

delta5
02-18-2016, 02:22 PM
Have you tried breaking the cube into smaller pieces? Might help with the nipping. Maybe try two cubes.