PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful fish from Chicago Discus

Cosmo
02-18-2016, 10:33 PM
So, in my original thread, it ended with Phillydubs asking "so, what did you get?" - a question to which I haven't replyed yet... shame on me. In the past two months I've brought home 13 beautiful Discus from Miranda and Josie, my once near empty tank is now a hotbed of sexual intrigue... no kidding .. but .. I digress. I don't remember what order, but the tank is now home to 13 Discus (which means I need to get 1 more ASAP:p) and they make this the most beautiful Discus tank I have ever had the pleasure to keep :) Now, as some of you who have known me for awhile, I am not the best fish photographer, and, the pics here were all taken with my iPhone 5S, not my Canon DSLR, so ... don't remember how many pics I can fit in one thread, so I'll just have to play it by ear... we'll get to the sexual intrigue after the pics :p

First up are some of the last two I've bought, which are BEAUTIFUL Heckel Crosses. Their bodies are a deep brown/red with the very visible Heckel Stripe, and, now that they've grown some over the past week, they're developing really nice black corona's on their Dorsal and Anal Fins - because of my love of Heckels, I am just thrilled to have these beauties in my tank. They still have some very nice specimens of these in stock so you can still grab some!

Second pic is a group photo, cause I couldn't isolate one of the other of the newest batch, in the center is the Vertical Stripe Tiger - absolutely gorgeous fish, I can't wait until he hits 7 inches or so, he will be magnificent (aggressive so I'm guessing a male). Behind him is my Red Turqouise, towards the back is the Tiger Pigeon, and sticking his bullhead into the lower left is the Albino Pigeon (better pics of each to follow)

Next up is the Albino Yellow Butterfly, he was about 6 inches when I brought hime howe several weeks ago but he's grown considerably. I know he's a he cause he's spawned already with both the Mandarin Passion visible behine him, and the Snow White coming along in another pic. Trying to decide which two to put in a breeder first :bandana:

Fourth pic is the other lady in the AYB's life, the Snow White - she was about 6.5 inches when I brought her home and is probably about 7 or so now. The poor Albino Pigeon wants desperately to mate with her but so far all his efforts have been in vain :( Poor guy :p

Speaking of the Albino Pigeon, he's next up. This guy I swear has grown the most out of all the original group we brought home, and, probably has the most character of all of them.. other than the fact that he is unluck in love ..

And lastly for this post, the third leg of the love triange, the beautifully colored Mandarin Passion. I originally thought she was a male until she started laying eggs, which of course was a dead give away that I was wrong :antlers: She started laying eggs all on her own a few days ago so the Albino Yellow Butterfly swam over and started fertilizing them. Some of them were viable but obviously in the big tank they didn't stand a chance

rickztahone
02-18-2016, 10:34 PM
Those heckel crosses are something else!

Akili
02-18-2016, 10:34 PM
Very Nice Thanks for sharing.

Cosmo
02-18-2016, 11:02 PM
Ok, picking up where we left off :)

First up is Snake Plisken, my beautiful Blue Snakeskin - another male who is having an on again off again affair with the Red Turquoise. This guy is growing out really nicely and it's a shame I couldn't get a pic of him in good light because is is literally irridescent. He and the two Albinos battle occassionally for top dog and I'm not really sure which one has won, unless the fact that the AYB has two females is an indication :p I've always loved Snakeskins and this guy is gorgeous. He I believe was in the first batch we brought home

Then there's his lady friend the Red Turqouise, who unfortunately I couldn't catch full body under the lights (but in the pic of the Heckels you can see the brilliant color she has). Love the corona she has on her Dorsal and Anal Fins and she just glows when she swims under the lights. She and the Snake had a thing going for awhile but then drifted apart for some reason, that's when the Albino Pidgeon made his moves - I swear I've never seen a male fish try to attract a female in all the manners he did, but ... her and the Snake seem to be getting back together, so we'll see what happens

I couldn't get a good shot of the White Butterfly all by herself (or himself, still unsure) but she was one of the 4 I brought home last week - I'd swear she's grown an inch already. Absolutely beautiful coloration and she's already shedding her body colors and taking on the appearance of an adult - will be fun watching her develop as she grows. The other three in the pic have already been identified :p

Then there's the High Body Blue Diamonds, the only fish other than the Heckels that I bought two of, primarily because they were acting like a mating pair before I bought them, plus... they are beautful, and. HUGE. This pic really doesn't give justice to how big and beautiful these two fish are (remember this is a 180gal tank). They are inseprable and swim as though they were an olympic synchronized dance team - always together, so I'm thinking... maybe :) They pretty much stick to themselves, except of course at feeding time when it's every fish for themselves hahaha

I think that pretty much covers it, unfortunately I couldn't get a good shot of the Tiger Pigeon cause he/she is the shy type and only comes out when I'm not around (could it be my breath? lol) so, jus through in a little community shot. And then, a shot of the tank to wrap things up. The Heckels, the Vertical Stripe Tiger, and the White Butterfly were added after the tank pic was taken, that's why it looks so empty :alien:

Since I bought the last four they've gotten in two new shipments, not sure if they are all out of quarantine or not, but I'm planning on going over tomorrow to at least round the number of fish up to 14 .. maybe a couple more.. not sure buwahahaha

I'd keep an eye on their website if I were you ... I saw some of the fish that should be coming out of quarantine any day now, and they are stunning :)

Hope you enjoyed looking at them as much as I do :)

Cosmo
02-18-2016, 11:03 PM
Those heckel crosses are something else!

They really are aren't they! May get a few more if I decide to setup my 90 gal tank again :)

brewmaster15
02-18-2016, 11:30 PM
Jim, I was thrilled when you pmd me about getting into the hobby more. I was really happy to see that. I worked with you years as a moderator, got to be friends with you and now you are back.:) Its great when things like this happen!
In the past two months I've brought home 13 beautiful Discus from Miranda and Josie, my once near empty tank is now a hotbed of sexual intrigue. I like the way you dive into things my friend!

Great having you back and youve a tank of really nice discus again!
Al

EJ_B
02-19-2016, 01:41 AM
Beautiful fish. I am from the Chicago area and getting ready to get back into discus after a 15 year hiatus. I'm looking forward to the NADA show, I live just a few miles from Lombard. Question about your tank. Is that an undergravel filter you're running? I thought they frowned upon for discus tanks. Also, what kind of substrate is that?

Cosmo
02-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Jim, I was thrilled when you pmd me about getting into the hobby more. I was really happy to see that. I worked with you years as a moderator, got to be friends with you and now you are back.:) Its great when things like this happen! I like the way you dive into things my friend!

Great having you back and youve a tank of really nice discus again!
Al

Hey Al, thanks again my friend :) Have to admit, having these fish is like completing a part of my life that was missing when they weren't there, I've kept Discus for almost 40 years on and off, mostly on, that they've become part of the fabric of my reality. Didn't realized how much I missed them until I had them back. I did have a few Liz was nice enough to send me a few years ago, but it wasn't until I noticed Chicago Discus on the forum here, and realized they were only a few miles away that my interest really started to spike. Once I walked into their shop, I became a child in a candy store all over again and the thought of leaving without some of that candy just wasn't in the equation! I'm even enjoying the daily WCs, and watching my new little charges interact with each other .. what a joy!

And now, to reconnnect to many old friends, and new friends .. almost feels like I never left :)

Cosmo
02-19-2016, 11:17 AM
Beautiful fish. I am from the Chicago area and getting ready to get back into discus after a 15 year hiatus. I'm looking forward to the NADA show, I live just a few miles from Lombard. Question about your tank. Is that an undergravel filter you're running? I thought they frowned upon for discus tanks. Also, what kind of substrate is that?

Yes, it's an Undergravel Filter, and yes many frown upon them, but, this is not your grandfathers undergravel filter. The media is roughly 50 liters of Eheim bio-substrat. But rather discuss this here, I think it would be more appropriate in the equipment and filter forum, but that will be a post for another day :) Or, feel free to PM me too :)

Phillydubs
02-19-2016, 11:17 AM
Cosmo,

First off, it is about time... Glad I didn't hold my breath waiting for that answer!! Hahah!!

Second, I hate you...

Budding TV actor and you are a few miles from one of my favorite places to get discus? Not fair! Hahaha!!

Nah, in all seriousness, you are a lucky man! Few miles to get over to the ladies of chi town with first dibs on all orders, JEALOUS!

Pretty much my whole tank is from them and I have purchased from them in the past and it is always an absolute pleasure, you got it good over there pal...

Amazing selections! You are making me wish I had my one of everything tank back! I feel like once you are on one side you want another, I had all different ones wanted a single strain tank then wilds then 2 of each, etc... They call it the discus bug for a reason...

Those Heckle Crosses look so cool and unique, I wish I had the space because a tank full of those looks to be the way to go!!! I jumped on their page here and there just to browse and I saw those a few days ago and mentioned to a member here I hope someone from simply gets a few of those and posts pics, glad it was you! Please keep me updated on them, how you don't have another tank set up right now for a group of those alone is beyond me! Get on that! Hahaha

I hope you keep up with the updates and welcome back. I wasn't on here I don't believe when you were back in the day but I have been enjoying all you have been bringing to the forum in your short time back so thank you!

Cosmo
02-19-2016, 12:42 PM
Cosmo,

First off, it is about time... Glad I didn't hold my breath waiting for that answer!! Hahah!!

Second, I hate you...

Budding TV actor and you are a few miles from one of my favorite places to get discus? Not fair! Hahaha!!

Nah, in all seriousness, you are a lucky man! Few miles to get over to the ladies of chi town with first dibs on all orders, JEALOUS!

Pretty much my whole tank is from them and I have purchased from them in the past and it is always an absolute pleasure, you got it good over there pal...

Amazing selections! You are making me wish I had my one of everything tank back! I feel like once you are on one side you want another, I had all different ones wanted a single strain tank then wilds then 2 of each, etc... They call it the discus bug for a reason...

Those Heckle Crosses look so cool and unique, I wish I had the space because a tank full of those looks to be the way to go!!! I jumped on their page here and there just to browse and I saw those a few days ago and mentioned to a member here I hope someone from simply gets a few of those and posts pics, glad it was you! Please keep me updated on them, how you don't have another tank set up right now for a group of those alone is beyond me! Get on that! Hahaha

I hope you keep up with the updates and welcome back. I wasn't on here I don't believe when you were back in the day but I have been enjoying all you have been bringing to the forum in your short time back so thank you!

Yeah Phil, when I saw Chicago Discus on Simply's sponsor page my heart started palpitating lol I used to have to drive hours to a Discus store but that had closed down at least a decade ago, so I made arrangements to go meet Josie and Miranda and found them both to be fantastic ladies. I stop by there on occassion just to see what fish they've brought in and to chat over coffee. You're right, I am a lucky man! You really should buy at least one if not more of the Heckel's, they get more beautiful every day as their colors fill in, and once gone who knows when we'll see them again. I used to have 9 tanks setup but the wife would never allow that again :antlers: But, I have 1 proven pair and two possible pairs so I may have to re-open my fish room in the basement again.... and there's a 90 gal tank sitting there unused .... hmmm.. what could I put in that do you think lol Going back today or tomorrow, depending on how time works out, and checking out all the new arrivals .... it's like having heaven within driving distance :)

And thank you for the compliment, I am loving being back and meeting so many new friends like you!

PS. Glad you didn't hold your breath too lol