PDA

View Full Version : Guidence for future quarantine and prophyllactic treatment

drgnfly829
02-22-2016, 09:22 AM
Hello again'
I am sorry I don't mean to ask people to reinvent the wheel, but I can't find a definite answer regarding
eliminating flukes parasites and other disgusting creatures
I've gone on veterinary websites, looked at Florida extension, read on simply discus,
And I'm a veterinarian myself (for dogs and cats)
I had horrible experience years back with fenbendazole, Its is super safe for dogs and cats, not a lot of literature on it in fish
I murdered thousands of plecos and cichlids of my own. UGH
Live and learn, well I did anyway, the fish not so much
So
I don't want to overuse drugs,
But if I am starting with a brand new system in June, where any fish would be from same source, quarantined, and then never have any others added to their group
(I am thinking several smaller tanks for each group where filtration, nets , etc are separate)
Can I reasonably expect to have fish which are parasite free once through praziquantel levamisole, and flagyl?(metronidazole)
Once again
I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, I just would like to have a plan laid out which wil maximize my chance of success and enjoying my fish
Thank you for your patience

drgnfly829
02-24-2016, 05:15 PM
Please, I'm not trolling,
Someone with experience please chime in
Am I working to minimize the effects of parasitism or am I trying to eliminate it
I hate the idea of flukes tapeworms and other disgusting parasites feasting on my pets. Fleas ticks worms mosquitoes are the most horrible things.
We travel a lot.
If my house ever got bedbugs I would burn it down
I am trying to determine if I will always be dealing with some type of parasitic worm,
Once I actually get fish, that is,
Or, if I do treatments, fecal smears and quarantine and am meticulous can I keep a population of fish with no bugs?