PDA

View Full Version : Book Lovers?

brewmaster15
02-23-2016, 04:36 PM
I admit it. I am closet book lover. Actually my whole family is. WE spend a ton of time and money at book shops come to think of it.. I haven't bought alot of books the last many years as I used to because I didn't have a place for them. Thirteen years ago when we moved in here, one of the bed rooms was my office library..I had literally wall to wall books on biology, birds, plant, insects etc....you name it. Along came my kids and the library had to be packed up and carried up to the attic. That was 13 years ago. Very sad day for me.

Fast forward to today. I am finally reunited with my precious books! This past weekend A and E construction (thats Al and my son Ethan ) built a bookcase in my new office..

Its not as big as I had but its so much better than nothing at all.

Tell you what those boxes of books didn't get any lighter!!

I really missed these books!

So any other book junkies out there?

al

brewmaster15
02-23-2016, 04:42 PM
Still have some organizing but its just so nice actually being able to read them. I found books I forgot I even had....

al

Second Hand Pat
02-23-2016, 04:55 PM
Al, books are like old beloved friends. I have books even from my childhood. This is a pano from the living room. There also is the study with two bookcases and odds and ends in other places.

Nice too see you digging your old friends from the attic. :D
Pat

Bill63SG
02-23-2016, 04:59 PM
Still have a lot of the sci-fi from when I was a kid,and my son read thru a bunch.When I had to wait in-line to get into a dock,always had a book with me,sometimes an 1-1/2hr wait if it was near lunch.This current job,16yrs and counting,not so much.

brewmaster15
02-23-2016, 05:07 PM
Al, books are like old beloved friends. I have books even from my childhood. This is a pano from the living room. There also is the study with two bookcases and odds and ends in other places.

Nice too see you digging your old friends from the attic. :D
Pat

Pat thats really beautiful. I love the the layout@!

Bill,

Still have a lot of the sci-fi from when I was a kid,and my son read thru a bunch.When I had to wait in-line to get into a dock,always had a book with me,sometimes an 1-1/2hr wait if it was near lunch.This current job,16yrs and counting,not so much.
scifi , next to biology my favorite reads... Andre Norton, Edgar Rice Burroughs,Isaac Asimov,Frederik Pohl?

al

Second Hand Pat
02-23-2016, 05:11 PM

Old Star Trek books :thumbsup:

Bill63SG
02-23-2016, 05:14 PM
Actually re-read Daybreak-2250 by Andre Norton recently,my second sci fi to see if it stood up,and imo kinda didn't,but different times.My 1st sci fi read was Tarzan.Got a box of hardcovers at a rummage sale when I was a kid,,3 cent apiece,2 for a nickel.Still have them.Like Pohl,but never got into Asimov.Now Heinlein was a different story,ate that up.

Second Hand Pat
02-23-2016, 05:14 PM
Pat thats really beautiful. I love the the layout@!

Thanks Al, this room is slowly morphing into a library. An properly aged leather couch and couple of leather chairs should just about complete it. :D
Pat

rickztahone
02-23-2016, 06:54 PM
I actually became a huge bookworm when I first started working at my current job (over 10yrs ago). I found myself with a lot of time on my hands and started reading series of books, rather than just one. However, most of these are all fiction simply because I tend to save the bio's or non-fiction ones for home and at home I hardly ever get to read. Here at work though is where I first read Game of Thrones before it was a thing and once people started talking about a series I was already in to re-reading the series at least for the 3rd time in anticipation of his last (not latest, but last) book.

If people wouldn't mind, I would love to hear actual book titles people would recommend, fiction or not to have a good list of books to tackle :)

Larry Bugg
02-23-2016, 06:57 PM
I'm an avid reader. Sometimes one or two books a week, now that I'm retired. Amazon has all my books on bookshelves for me though, lol. I read on my phone using Kindle. My book is always with me wherever I go so even if I am sitting for just a couple of minutes, I can read.

LizStreithorst
02-23-2016, 07:43 PM
I have a good bookshelf in my living room that is all fiction. Mu deceased husband made it. I have a huge monstrosity of a bookshelf in the bedroom. The carpenter who built the monstrosity is the guy who built my house. He built me a good house but even though his mother is a librarian he didn't have a clue how to make a bookshelf. He admitted that he'd never built a bookshelf before.

brewmaster15
02-24-2016, 07:10 AM
I'm an avid reader. Sometimes one or two books a week, now that I'm retired. Amazon has all my books on bookshelves for me though, lol. I read on my phone using Kindle. My book is always with me wherever I go so even if I am sitting for just a couple of minutes, I can read.

I have quite a few amazon books as well Larry on my phone and a kindle .Cant beat it for convenience when out and about. I also use e-pub readers and down load the public domain books.... working my way through a bunch of Sherlock Holmes right now and old sci-fi short stories.

brewmaster15
02-24-2016, 07:13 AM
I have a good bookshelf in my living room that is all fiction. Mu deceased husband made it. I have a huge monstrosity of a bookshelf in the bedroom. The carpenter who built the monstrosity is the guy who built my house. He built me a good house but even though his mother is a librarian he didn't have a clue how to make a bookshelf. He admitted that he'd never built a bookshelf before.

Lol..Liz... guy that built my house was a mason. Anything masonary he was awesome at. He put a mantel shelf in the fireplace though thats massive thick but next to useless as its too narrow! Looks good but he wasnt a reader I guess.

brewmaster15
02-24-2016, 07:15 AM
I actually became a huge bookworm when I first started working at my current job (over 10yrs ago). I found myself with a lot of time on my hands and started reading series of books, rather than just one. However, most of these are all fiction simply because I tend to save the bio's or non-fiction ones for home and at home I hardly ever get to read. Here at work though is where I first read Game of Thrones before it was a thing and once people started talking about a series I was already in to re-reading the series at least for the 3rd time in anticipation of his last (not latest, but last) book.

If people wouldn't mind, I would love to hear actual book titles people would recommend, fiction or not to have a good list of books to tackle :)

Ricardo, what are some of the series you read and liked besides game of thrones? Fantasy or scifi? Historical fiction?

brewmaster15
02-29-2016, 08:01 AM
We took a family trip to one of our old haunts for used books Saturday. The four of us each found some treasures..

For me, I walked away with an old Audubons book on Quadripeds.. I have a similar one by him on Birds. The color plates rom his paintings are just amazing. Also picked up an old first edition Peterson's Guide to western Birds and a book on Big Cat ancestry as well as a few others. Oh and almost forgot...picked up Ansel Adams Autobiography .

Almost picked up some old Harry Harrison scifi but will go back for that.

All in all , a great day out.

rickztahone
02-29-2016, 11:29 PM
We took a family trip to one of our old haunts for used books Saturday. The four of us each found some treasures..

For me, I walked away with an old Audubons book on Quadripeds.. I have a similar one by him on Birds. The color plates rom his paintings are just amazing. Also picked up an old first edition Peterson's Guide to western Birds and a book on Big Cat ancestry as well as a few others. Oh and almost forgot...picked up Ansel Adams Autobiography .

Almost picked up some old Harry Harrison scifi but will go back for that.

All in all , a great day out.

Very jealous about the Ansel Adams Autobiography pick up!

Some of the other series I have read:

The Myst - very nerdy and WoW like, but I truly enjoyed this fictitious world.
The Sword of truth by Terry Goodkin - this introduced me to really long series and I loved it! I read this series a few times over
The Wheel of time - I figure many have read this series as well
Good ol' Harry Potter :). I'm actually a big HP fan. In fact, for my bday, my brother got me opening day tickets to Universal Studios for their April 7th opening.
I love Ken Follett. Of all fictional writers, he is by far my favorite. In fact, I have probably read about 85% of his work, and I've actually met him and his wife here at work.
Some of my favorite work of his:
The Century Trilogy
Pillars of the earth is probably my all time favorite of his
World without end
Lie down with Lions
Eye of the needle

I also like the Philippa Gregory's Tuddor series. My co-worker got me to read that and I actually liked it.

Anyways, I have read a lot of books here at work. I have a lot of free time. However, not all books have been great. With that said, every time I pick up a book, I always try to finish it and give it the benefit of the doubt. A few books have surprised me by getting really good after a point where I would have probably stopped reading. Others, they were boring through and through, lol, but I still finished them.

brewmaster15
03-01-2016, 09:02 AM
Ricardo,

Check out Terry Brooks... http://terrybrooks.net/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Brooks

His Shannara series span generations of characters, story takes place along JRR Tolkien ..
Still writing to the series line.

Stephen R Donaldson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_R._Donaldson
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.
fantasy with magic

Piers Anthony... my all time favorite author of fantasy and SciFi ...a very prolific writer that really comes up with ingenious story lines..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piers_Anthony
For a light funny read and a huge series of books
Xanth Series...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanth

a great read... and ingeniuous
Incarnations of Immortality
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarnations_of_Immortality

Bio of a Space Tyrant
Sci adventure again with an very interesting story line.. a mature adventure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bio_of_a_Space_Tyrant

Tarot series.. sci fi..weird but entertaining
God of Tarot (1979)
Vision of Tarot (1980)
Faith of Tarot (1980)
Tarot (1987) The series omnibus as a single novel as originally intended

Apprentice Adept.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apprentice_Adept

You should look up.. Edgar Rice Burroughs. Old sci and fantasy, many titles in public domain
http://www.orderofbooks.com/authors/edgar-rice-burroughs/

"John Carter of Mars" one of my favorites story lines...

This author was ahead of his time, Imo.

Rick Riordan...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Riordan

Maybe geared for teens more so than adults... but his books are great reads even for us.
The way he uses mythology in his story lines is pure literary magic,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Jackson_%26_the_Olympians
Read it...the movie was a let down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kane_Chronicles... excellent

I could go on and and on!:)

ps.. of course if you havent read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings... You need to read it. The movies were okay....but the as is often the case.. the books are better..

rickztahone
03-01-2016, 11:41 AM
Thanks Al! I have this thread bookmarked so I can check out these books. I really appreciate it. I am always on the look out for good series, not just single books :).

I have read the classics and lord of the rings is a must ;)

Lilyann
02-27-2017, 03:05 PM
Just found this thread! Do I love books??? Oh, boy... I am in grad school and am a literature major. My specialty, however, may make others yawn... the long 18th century/ British Literature. Outside of this period- I have a huge love of anything Herman Melville. Needless to say, I have hundreds of books. I also have 1 discus book I picked up about 15 years ago. Schmidt-Focke's Discus Book. Copyright 1990.It says it was published in "Neptune", New Jersey... how perfect is that!

RogueDiscus
02-27-2017, 03:17 PM
My dad is a compulsive used book collector. Mostly first editions. At one point he had his own small shop in Santa Barbara. I'm not exaggerating, every room in his condo besides the kitchen is floor to ceiling books, including vertical stacks on the floor. You have to maneuver the paths through the books. He has a path from his desk to the TV. He sells them online, problem is, he doesn't get around to cataloging and listing them. Anyway, if you're looking for something in particular, let me know and I could ask him.

Lilyann
02-27-2017, 03:24 PM
I will keep this in mind Steve! Every semester I have to buy at least 15 novels, anthologies, etc... for my classes. I am trying to build a collection of literary theory books outside of the texts I need for my classes; Deconstruction, linguistic theory, post-colonial... any chance he would have these?

RogueDiscus
02-27-2017, 03:27 PM
I could ask. They might be old, but maybe that's good. Do you have authors in mind?

Lilyann
02-27-2017, 03:32 PM
Jacques Derrida, Michel Foucault, Judith Butler, Roland Barthes, Terry Eagleton, Stephen Greenbelt

These are the theorists I am looking for right now!

Lilyann
02-27-2017, 03:33 PM
Oh, and any Melville....

RogueDiscus
02-27-2017, 03:50 PM
Oh, and nice avatar :) I need to update mine.

Lilyann
02-27-2017, 03:58 PM
:)