PDA

View Full Version : Prettier Every Day

Cosmo
02-24-2016, 10:35 PM
Thought I'd post a pic of the Vertical Stripe Tiger without his bars out, but when I pointed the camera one kind of came back... guess he/she didn't know the camera was harmless lol This little guy/gal is stunning when the bars are completely gone :) In the same pic I got one of the two Heckel Crosses - this one is the bigger of the two and his/her Heckel Bar is prominant and the corona on the Dorsal and Anal fins are coming in nicely. May be too dark to get the full color of these little guys, I keep my lights kind of dim for the fish's sake :)

rickztahone
02-24-2016, 11:37 PM
Very nice. Chicago Discus?

ericNH
02-25-2016, 09:34 AM
That is a nice looking fish. Something unusual in the pattern, can;t put my finger on it..

John_Nicholson
02-25-2016, 10:15 AM
Nice.

-john

Cosmo
02-25-2016, 10:26 AM
Very nice. Chicago Discus?

Yep, Chicago Discus :)

That is a nice looking fish. Something unusual in the pattern, can;t put my finger on it..

We are more used to seeing Discus with the "stripes" horizontal whereas this little guy has his vertical .. a very stunning effect IMO :)

Nice.

-john

Thanks John, I've very happy with the fish I've gotten from Miranda and Josie :)

ericNH
02-25-2016, 10:29 AM
...EricNH = the one is a Vertical Stripe Tiger which is kind of like taking a Turquoise and changing the stripes from horizontal to vertical

Ah yes, I see it now. The more I see it the more I like it. And you keep a nice-looking tank btw, from I can see in that pic.

Cosmo
02-25-2016, 10:38 AM
Ah yes, I see it now. The more I see it the more I like it. And you keep a nice-looking tank btw, from I can see in that pic.

Thank you Eric :) Seems I spend more time on the fish lately than I do on myself :p

A very unusual pattern, but I think a very attractive one :)

Cosmo
02-25-2016, 10:39 AM
DOH! Just saw a typo - the little striped guy is a Tiger, not a Tiber :p

Phillydubs
02-25-2016, 02:00 PM
Did you head back to chicago discus for more? I believe you said that was in the plans, just following up?

Cosmo
02-26-2016, 10:37 AM
Did you head back to chicago discus for more? I believe you said that was in the plans, just following up?

Have been back twice :) First time to get up to 14 I brought home the cutest little 3in Checkerboard Pigeon, then again yesterday to pickup an Albino Super Red Marlboro. Both are gorgeous and I'll have to get some pics up to show them off :)

Second Hand Pat
02-26-2016, 10:40 AM
DOH! Just saw a typo - the little striped guy is a Tiger, not a Tiber :p

Fixed it for you Jim. :)
Pat

Cosmo
02-26-2016, 12:21 PM
Fixed it for you Jim. :)
Pat

Thanks Pat :)

Phillydubs
03-03-2016, 11:49 PM
How are those heckle crosses doing ? You have 2 right? Have they really colored up and filled in w that nice brown red ?? I can't keep my eye off of those so tempted ...! Need to set up a new tank!

Cosmo
03-04-2016, 04:34 PM
How are those heckle crosses doing ? You have 2 right? Have they really colored up and filled in w that nice brown red ?? I can't keep my eye off of those so tempted ...! Need to set up a new tank!

You mean Jeckle and Hyde? lol They are doing tremendous, especially Jeckle, the larger one. They both have a beautiful red hued brown but Jeckel only displays his Heckel and eye stripe while all of Hyde's are still visible. Jeckle also has a nice black corona starting around the Heckel bar on the Dorsal fin and wrapping around his back to the same area on his/her Anal fin - like a backwards capitol D .. they're growing quite nicely too.. love em :) You should grab some before they're gone!

That's Jeckle in the pic on the top of this page (about a week 10 days ago)

Phillydubs
03-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Might you have some other pics to share or can you take a few for me? Please!

Cosmo
03-04-2016, 10:24 PM
Might you have some other pics to share or can you take a few for me? Please!

I'll try to get some good ones with my DSLR instead of my phone. I swear they were mostly red today.. beautiful. One problem I have getting pics is that I use low lighting, and, the LEDs are located about midway because of the way the hood is hinged, so unless they really cooperate and get under the lights it's hard to really show off their colors.

Chicago Discus
03-04-2016, 11:05 PM
I know exactly how hard it is to get good pictures in low light. And then if you increase the light, they get spooked and hide. And if you use the wrong light, the colors are all off. Jim know how hard I worked to get accurate pictures of the Heckels. I must have taken a hundred pictures before I got the light right and was satisfied with the color. Jim may want to comment on whether I got the Heckel color correct on the website photos. ... Miranda

Altum Nut
03-04-2016, 11:24 PM
Jim are these the White Tigers as seen in vid...absolutely gorgeous and hope Josie and Miranda does not mind me posting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWKD4zrhdXo

Phillydubs
03-05-2016, 02:06 AM
Jim I know exactly what you mean... Wild crosses can be quite frustrating fish at times. I have two cuperia crosses from Chicago discus and they are constantly changing colors on me and flashing bars it is like one min they look marvelous the next you are like ugh what's this bland thing doing in my tank...

I'm at the point now where I am stupidly contimplating rehoming a few fish that are low on my todum pole for a few fresh ones that I absolutely love. I hate to break up my group and all but we will see

Miranda you warmed me wheni got the cross that it was so hard to truly capture them. Even now I can never get a pic that really shows them. Jims pic on this thread is a realy good one if they all looked like that I would already have mine but I feel like if I got ten . 5 would be amazing and other would be ah...

How many are left ;)

Cosmo
03-05-2016, 05:00 PM
I know exactly how hard it is to get good pictures in low light. And then if you increase the light, they get spooked and hide. And if you use the wrong light, the colors are all off. Jim know how hard I worked to get accurate pictures of the Heckels. I must have taken a hundred pictures before I got the light right and was satisfied with the color. Jim may want to comment on whether I got the Heckel color correct on the website photos. ... Miranda

We have different lights, but I'd say that's pretty close to what mine were when I brought them home. They are a much richer brown/red now, and - they get prettier every day :) As they acclimate and grow the Heckel bars on mine became more prominant and the corona around the back came in darker - suspect these little guys will grow out somewhat similar :)

Cosmo
03-05-2016, 05:02 PM
Jim are these the White Tigers as seen in vid...absolutely gorgeous and hope Josie and Miranda does not mind me posting it.

Ralph, those are what I've been referring to as "Verticle Stripped Tigers", never heard them called white before but look to be the same or very similar fish :)

Chicago Discus
03-05-2016, 05:59 PM
We had a few of the White Tigers that we sold. They are a new strain developed by Lawrence and are not the same as the Vertical Stripe Tiger. The VST are a type of turq with a blue background and red vertical stripes. The White Tigers had a greyish white background with iridescent red stripes. The stripes were almost like they were painted on with day-glo paints. Very rare, and the ones we had were the only 4 in the US.... Miranda

Phillydubs
03-05-2016, 08:28 PM
Did you keep two white tigers and sell two Miranda?

If so any updates on your end or from the other buyer. Any pairs

rickztahone
03-05-2016, 11:11 PM
sorry...who‘s Jim?

Member Cosmo