PDA

View Full Version : fluval stratum substrate

Kelvin0727
02-29-2016, 07:37 PM
I starting a new planted tank and wanted to make sure if using Fluval stratum substrate will provide enough nutrients to my plant. I heard some experts recommend to mix it with flourite to give the substrate all the nutrients. I was going to use fluval stratum on the bottom layer and PFS on the top layer. What's your advice?

nofearengineer
03-01-2016, 04:22 AM
In the humble opinion of this experienced planted tank enthusiast...substrate should never be the primary source of nutrients for your plants. Why? Because it gets used up, and you just end up fertilizing anyway. I tend to use ADA Aquasoil, but not really for its chemical properties...rather for its mechanical properties. It is easy to plant, and it doesn't compact. I think you will find Fluval Stratum to be similar in that way. I will say though, that I have also grown fabulous plants in Flourite, both original and sand versions. Either way, use good water column ferts, and/or root tabs for root feeders like swords and crypts.

Filip
03-01-2016, 06:52 AM
I have use it in my nano planted shrimp tank in the past and I'm very fond of it.
Like no fear said it has similar mechanical and chemical properties as ADA aquasoil. But I do believe that it would be more than sufficient plant nutrition on its own , without mixing it with anything else.
BTW mixing different granule size substrates is not possible because in time the smaller grain size would always end up on the bottom.
So caping fluval stratum with PFS would be failure.

Kelvin0727
03-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Thanks nofearengineer! I plan to use fertilizer and eventually CO2.

Kelvin0727
03-01-2016, 11:20 AM
Filip, thank you for your advice, they are very helpful. I've read on some of the forums saying that the fluval stratum particles are very soft and they eventually break down into dirt like potting mix so the grain size of the PFS will be larger and will stay on top. Is that true?

jmf3460
03-01-2016, 12:24 PM
I am not a fan of fluval stratum, I realize several people are but I much prefer eco complete in my planted tanks. I used fluval stratum in a shrimp tank once and it broke down and kid you not, my shrimp started turning black and dying. I came to the conclusion that it was breaking down and being eaten by the shrimp and then they could not pass it. Also, regarding PFS, its going to sink to the bottom regardless of what type plant substrate is underneath it. It just happens over time and ive never had success avoiding the eventual sink of the sand. I do find with eco complete, it happens much slower though.

Filip
03-01-2016, 04:50 PM
Filip, thank you for your advice, they are very helpful. I've read on some of the forums saying that the fluval stratum particles are very soft and they eventually break down into dirt like potting mix so the grain size of the PFS will be larger and will stay on top. Is that true?

No. Not in my case . After 2 years of using it I broke down the tank and kept the fluval stratum 1-2 mm substrate particles.They were big and round just like the first time I put them in . No mush at all.
PFS is 10 times smaller grain size plus its much heavier than fluval stratum.No way you can cap it with sand .Just use fluval stratum as it is .