PDA

View Full Version : Fry Eating Beef Heart

Fishquake
03-02-2016, 11:32 AM
Curious if anyone has any concerns about fry eating parents beef heart? constipation issues? or just let them have at it?

pitdogg2
03-02-2016, 11:41 AM
shouldn't be a problem I'm aware of.

John_Nicholson
03-02-2016, 11:55 AM
Mine always do. Why would you think it would cause constipation issues?

-john

Fishquake
03-02-2016, 01:23 PM
An associate of mine indicated that beef heart could cause bloating in fry and young discus leading to constipation issues. It seems a little dubious to me since they seem perfectly healthy. Additionally, is it acceptable to seriously load up the fry up with freshly hatched brine shrimp before I go to work and then again when I get home? I have been doing that with no ill effects so far and they seem to be growing at an accelerated rate then previous spawns.

Keith Perkins
03-02-2016, 01:31 PM
:D You've just described the Nicholson fry feeding method to a T.

RogueDiscus
03-02-2016, 01:32 PM
Additionally, is it acceptable to seriously load up the fry up with freshly hatched brine shrimp before I go to work and then again when I get home? I have been doing that with no ill effects so far and they seem to be growing at an accelerated rate then previous spawns.

Just watch your water quality and be sure to clean up what they don't eat.

Fishquake
03-02-2016, 01:34 PM
Then I guess it must be ok!! I' also using RO reject water for them now and it's working great. Plus I'm saving a heck of a lot of water that used to just go down the drain.

Fishquake
03-02-2016, 01:45 PM
I add an extra canister filter on their tanks, as my wife and I call it, a fry-saver. Plus I have a drip going in it 24/7. Plus I have no life...

mee
03-02-2016, 02:19 PM
double post, sorry.

mee
03-02-2016, 02:20 PM
Discus have very short intestines, hence the need for such a high protein diet and frequent feedings, if they were constipated it would be obvious pretty soon IMHO. I have seen it a bit from pellets, but in my experience they recover much quicker than other fish that overeat.

John_Nicholson
03-02-2016, 02:50 PM
An associate of mine indicated that beef heart could cause bloating in fry and young discus leading to constipation issues. It seems a little dubious to me since they seem perfectly healthy. Additionally, is it acceptable to seriously load up the fry up with freshly hatched brine shrimp before I go to work and then again when I get home? I have been doing that with no ill effects so far and they seem to be growing at an accelerated rate then previous spawns.

Your associate has no clue what they are talking about. The problems they saw was from poor water and not from the food. Keith is correct. What you are doing is what I do and have done for 20+years.

-john

Fishquake
03-02-2016, 04:07 PM
Thank you John. Your 20 years beats my 8 months.

Las Vegas
03-02-2016, 04:09 PM
......Plus I have no life...

LOL! Funny.