PDA

View Full Version : First discus tank - help needed :)

neoncrypnid
03-05-2016, 05:42 AM
hi all,
I have been keeping fish for a long time and am quite experienced, but not with discus. I have found two healthy discus in a pair for sale. they are adults and good quality. i want to get them and have done some research but i still have lots of questions. I have a tank that is approximate 200l/52gal. would this be enough for two adults? I can upgrade if necessary. also, what should i feed them? i was thinking pellets and blackworms. Should i get a light for the tank or not? Thanks for all the help, as i said i have no past experience with discus.

Thanks again!

Akili
03-05-2016, 08:17 AM
hi all,
I have been keeping fish for a long time and am quite experienced, but not with discus. I have found two healthy discus in a pair for sale. they are adults and good quality. i want to get them and have done some research but i still have lots of questions. I have a tank that is approximate 200l/52gal. would this be enough for two adults? I can upgrade if necessary. also, what should i feed them? i was thinking pellets and blackworms. Should i get a light for the tank or not? Thanks for all the help, as i said i have no past experience with discus.

Thanks again!Hi and welcome to SimplyDiscus,as you indicated that you are new to Discus my first suggestion is to watch this video, spend an hour of your time and watch it
https://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8

Second A 52 gallon tank will be fine for a Pair. Do you know if it is proven pair?. Next about the light the light sure get one, some people prefer lots of lights and some do not.Personal choice here.Discus do well in dimly lit aquarium too. To have healthy discus you should try to provide a nourishing and varied diet for them.Lastly read this http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

Filip
03-05-2016, 05:37 PM
hi all,

Thanks again!

Akilli gave you some good reference links for keeping discus.Watch and read them through , they are very helpfull for every discus keeper , espetially a first timer.

As for you questions :

1. 50 gallon tank is more than good enough for one pair of discus fish . A General rule for discus given the right maintenance and care is 10 gallons per discus .
2. Beef heart , shrimps , artemia , mysis , tetra granules , pellets .Live or frozen Blackworms are controversial as they can carry parasites and other nasties on them, so try to avoid them . Fresh dryed blackworms FDWB are much better option that many here use it and swear on it as a no1 protein food .
3. Discus like dark surroundings naturaly but they can adjust to brright lights also . So they ussualy dont need any light other than your room daylight, but we put different kinds of light so that we can admire and enjoy their lush and beautiful colours and patterns more pronounced.

IMHO only distinguishing feature that separates discus from other fish that you have kept over the years is fresh and clean water and frequent Water changes they demand to thrive.
Good luck .

neoncrypnid
03-05-2016, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the quick responses,
They have layed eggs but no luck because they are in a community tank with other discus.
Thanks again

Filip
03-05-2016, 05:51 PM
They have layed eggs but no luck because they are in a community tank with other discus.
Thanks again

If you are specificaly into breeding them , keep the tank bare bottom and with less possible decor and plants in it.

Akili
03-05-2016, 05:51 PM
Thanks againMany a times a pair is not a true pair because two females will pair up.A pair is confirmed when there are wrigglers.

neoncrypnid
03-05-2016, 08:23 PM
One last question: what kind of flow do discus like. Like, is a powerhead ok, or little or no current?
thanks

Willie
03-05-2016, 08:42 PM
Despite what you may have read, discus are quite adaptable. Most of my breeding tanks just have sponge filters. My larger grow out tanks have powerheads. I've had discus spawn, produce wrigglers and raise fry under a range of circumstances. Most important is to have a bare bottom tank that you can keep very clean and make a lot of water changes.

Good luck.