PDA

View Full Version : Super Red Turq's from Chicago Discus are tough fish

Markv
03-05-2016, 09:30 AM
I just wanted to send some quick praise for Chicago Discus. I ordered 5 5" Super Red Turquoise Discus for my 125 planted tank. Fedex had mechanical issues with the plane, and fish were delayed an extra day. I was quite worried since outside temps were in the 30's. When the package arrived, the temp inside the cooler was 63 degrees. The packing was superb. All fish were triple bagged, and there were plenty of heat packs. The cold temps were simply a result of the shipping delays. I floated them for a bit to bring up water temps and let the fish loose in my q-tank. A few hours later, they were already begging for food and ate some freeze dried blackworms with gusto. Miranda checked in with me through the whole Fedex mishap. I could tell she cares a lot about the well being of these discus.

After a few days, I noticed some bullying in the q-tank. It was a bit cramped for these large fish, so I decided to move them to the planted tank. The planted tank is essentially dedicated for them(I don't have any other discus and don't plan on more), so I don't mind treating it if something comes up. At some point I'll start a tank thread. Thanks again Miranda!

Here's one that isn't camera shy. The other discus don't like my camera and show their stress bars, but are stress bar free the rest of the time.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1564/25406880572_c35aa7ec6d_z.jpg

Phillydubs
03-05-2016, 11:41 AM
Very nice!! Sucks to hear the mishap but I am glad to hear thanks to the superb packing of one of the sponsors the fish were safe and healthy!!

How many did you get... Can you post some full tank pics and info?

Markv
03-05-2016, 01:52 PM
I picked up 5. I wanted a single strain tank, and I knew it was better to introduce all at once. I was on the lookout for red turq's that were large since I didn't want the hassle of growing out in a planted system. They are still very shy, except when there is food in the tank.

I don't have a good full tank shot yet. It's a 125 gallons. Pool Sand, Driftwood, and some inert rocks from the yard. Filtration is an eheim 2217, backup sponge filter in the corner, and a small internal power filter for now. I will add another Eheim eventually. Heating is 500-watt titanium with Finnex controller. I will be adding an Neptune Apex soon, so that I can monitor/control the tank alongside my reef aquarium via the same Apex Fusion portal.

warblad79
03-05-2016, 02:19 PM
I'm confused, what's the difference between super red turq and regular red turq?

Markv
03-05-2016, 03:04 PM
I'm confused, what's the difference between super red turq and regular red turq?

Not sure, that's what they were called when I ordered them. :)

LizStreithorst
03-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Super usually means high bodied.

Markv
03-05-2016, 04:48 PM
Started a thread on the tank:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?123511-125-Gallon-Planted-Red-Turq-Tank&p=1203377#post1203377

Markv
03-05-2016, 04:48 PM
Tank thread: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?123511-125-Gallon-Planted-Red-Turq-Tank&p=1203377#post1203377