PDA

View Full Version : Wild Cameta brown discus

Allapart
03-05-2016, 10:05 PM
Ok talk about jump right it!!!
over christmas holidays set up a 15 yr old 10 gallon tank, spoke to a friend that has a 120 gallon tank with 23 wild P altums. I didn't even know he kept fish. Seeing a pic I sent him he informed me I had no media in the aquaclear 10 gallon filter. This prompted the question how did he know that hence the return answer to come and see his set up. So high gear to kijiji and later my wife wanted another 10 gallon and my 21 yr old daughter a 5 gallon and I bought a 90 gallon, huge learning curve ,new tank syndrome etc etc. I can't start slow I'm wired that way, plants, CO2 , tetra's bought pair of kribensis,they spawned have younge plants growing well. Yeh,,,,I want discus,my friend has P altums challenging!! I want discus challenging.
So as of yesterday at 9:00 am I received 6 wild caught discus,average 5 to 6 inches. Today just finished feeding them live black worms from a dropper and worm cone for lack of better description. I only had one fish lay on its side and look black for about 12 hrs now I can't tell which one it was. PH is about 6.5 water hardness is from what the town says around 9. What ever that means and I bumped the temp up today to around 84.
They look healthy and pecking order looks like it's forming already, so my plan is to do around 20 percent change every other day . I need all the help advice pointers etc. And no I'm not going to go bb tank I like the plants as much as the fish but if they pair off I will set up a tank to try to breed and hence another thread/blog.
Allapart

Akili
03-05-2016, 10:23 PM
Welcome to SimplyDiscus,20 percent change every other day is not enough,Wild discus need large water changes and more frequent. Daily water changes are very common with people who have wilds. While you wait others chime in I suggest you spend an hour of your time and watch this
https://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8

Allapart
03-08-2016, 11:15 PM
Doing 50% WC every other day, one fish is dark,but eating and swimming with the rest,slight white spots on fin,looks like a piece of frozen brine shrimp for lack of better description, one fishes eye looks slightly cloudy. All of which sound based on different blogs as possibly due to stress.
What is the normal amount of time for them to get used to new surroundings and new tank. Five of the six look as if they have always lived here. mind you 1 in six being stressed I guess isn't that bad. Two of them really bully the other 4.

Len
03-09-2016, 12:31 AM
Welcome to Simply :)

Allapart
03-11-2016, 12:07 AM
Fish are sick, fins have white on them ,eyes foggy. slimy white looking coat

Second Hand Pat
03-11-2016, 12:39 AM
Hi Steve, please check your ammonia and nitrites. Guessing the tank is having a mini-cycle after adding the wilds which is a lot of extra bio-load. Would suggest doing several large water changes.
Pat

Kyla
03-11-2016, 10:30 AM
do u have the other fish in the same tank with the discus? what knd of filter do you have? can you describe your maintenance plan for the tank and filter?

i def second pat's suggestion for more wc, as large as you can, as many as you can! the more water you change the better.

would you consider removing the substrate and putting your plants into pots? at least for several months while you work with the fish and learn their needs? this way you can keep the water quality TOP notch and the plants are still there so in the future when you are ready you can simply add substrate back to the tank.

if you do consider this and decide to try it out let us know and we can give advice on how to remove the gravel safely.

here is a pic showing a heavily planted BB tank. the plants grew like crazy in the pots!

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/kylasfish/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6n4f1ivv.jpg (http://s296.photobucket.com/user/kylasfish/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6n4f1ivv.jpg.html)

Allapart
03-11-2016, 02:20 PM
Ph,around 6.5 to 7,,, temp 84degrees, six discus 4 to 6 inches, one danio,can't catch him,4 tetras. planted 90 gallon,0 nitrites,nitrates,amonia, add ,one ml of phosphate a day, one ml flourish fert, CO2 injected, heavy cover on top so nice and dark even with light. on third dose of Furan 2 and second of Kanaplex. Water changes every other day till today ,50% ,going away back in 4 days.

delta5
03-11-2016, 04:02 PM
Are you aging the water first? Is the aged/replacement water's ph different from the tank's ph?

Allapart
03-15-2016, 11:28 PM
No I am not aging the water,our tap water is about 7,I just got home checked nitrites O, nitrates were about 5PPm after 4 days,amonia 0.
Plants not so good as I forgot instructions for fert. Fish look alot better, did 40%WC. Looks like they hunt the tetra's after dark.
LOL
Feeding blood worms, and shrimp. Tank had been cycleing since mid january.