PDA

View Full Version : ControlMyNikon App

Second Hand Pat
03-09-2016, 09:42 PM
Anyone have any experience with the ControlMyNikon application. Looks very interesting.
Pat

Fundulopanchax
03-10-2016, 10:53 AM
I have this and it is an excellent PC tether program for Nikons. If you are doing "studio shooting" where your PC is accessible it is a great program. I often use if for macro shoots. However, I mostly use a different product, though. It is "CamRanger" and it is a microprocessor box that connects to your camera and then wirelessly interacts with your phone, tablet or PC via a local WiFi that is sets up. I do a lot of HDR and intervalometer shoots and it sets these up flawlessly. With an optional focusing rail offered through CamRanger, it also interacts with the rail and automatically shoots a series of shots with tiny change in focus distance so you can put together HDR macro shots as well. You use your Android, Windows or iOS device to program it and then either leave the connection open (all the images will be downloaded in real time in addition to being saved on the flash card in the camera) or close the connection. It comes in a high quality nylon case that I just clip to the tripod.

I think ControlMyNikon runs about $30. CamRanger runs about $350 so there is a big difference in price. I tend to use the CamRanger since it is small - about the size of a cell phone - and not a hassle out in the field (I have read a few reviews that note difficulty sometimes in getting the local WiFi to work but I have used mine several hundred times and never had an issue).

For $30 you should try ControlMyNikon. You will like it.

Ron

Second Hand Pat
03-10-2016, 11:23 AM
Thanks Ron, I played with it last night and finally got it to consistently connect and disconnect from the camera. Also played with some of the simple controls. Hope to do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPjAHO0amR8

using Al's DIY softbox http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?123521-Homemade-softbox-made-easy.

Fundulopanchax
03-10-2016, 09:41 PM
I have found that it does the focus stacking well. You will have a lot of fun!

Second Hand Pat
03-10-2016, 11:04 PM
I have been scouting out flowers so have a couple of victims in mind. Planning on making Al's DIY softbox also.
Pat

brewmaster15
03-11-2016, 10:23 AM
I have been scouting out flowers so have a couple of victims in mind. Planning on making Al's DIY softbox also.
Pat:)