PDA

View Full Version : I am looking into breeding.

Discus2004
03-10-2016, 12:27 AM
The title says it all.I am thinking about setting up a breeding area in my garage for discus for both pleasure, and maybe even a small reward (since they are good for making money) I need osme help finding the equipment and that kind of stuff.

Thanks, Gavin

warblad79
03-10-2016, 12:33 AM
The title says it all.I am thinking about setting up a breeding area in my garage for discus for both pleasure, and maybe even a small reward (since they are good for making money) I need osme help finding the equipment and that kind of stuff.

Thanks, Gavin

I hate to break it to you but there's not much profit breeding discus. Fry is really hard to sell nowadays. I just do it for the love of the hobby.

Discus2004
03-10-2016, 12:43 AM
That is what I said...

Discus2004
03-10-2016, 12:44 AM
That is what I said...I said I wanted to do it for pleasure, and I need to get some help with what I need for equipment.

warblad79
03-10-2016, 12:47 AM
"Since they are good of making money" not so true

Discus2004
03-10-2016, 12:50 AM
I said I wanted to do it for pleasure, and I need to get some help with what I need for equipment.

FishFanMan
03-10-2016, 02:42 AM
Read the stickies! Then get ready to spend $$$ for a breeding pair. Endless clean RO water and time keeping the tank really clean .

Filip
03-10-2016, 03:53 AM

Thanks, Gavin

Do you have any prior experience in keeping discus?

Discus2004
03-10-2016, 09:59 AM
Do you have any prior experience in keeping discus?

:argue:
I have not yet but...I have kept a ton of different freshwater fish with success.

John_Nicholson
03-10-2016, 10:08 AM
Discus are a completely different ball game. You prepared to change at least 50% of your water every day? Is your water soft enough for eggs to hatch or do you need an RO unit? If you have success do you have 4 or so 75 gallon tanks to raise fry from each pair you have ( if you are in a market where you can move them out fast ). I could list several other questions but you get the drift. If you are serious about it then I highly suggest you attend the North American Discus Association ( NADA ) convention in Chicago in July. You will learn more then in 3 days then you will in 3 years on your own.

-john

Second Hand Pat
03-10-2016, 10:22 AM
Hi Gavin and welcome to Simply, the reason members are asking some of the questions, they are getting a feel for your experience level. Discus are a bit different then keeping other fish. Their food and water requirements a bit different. You are trying to run before you walk. There are stickies in the beginner section you will find helpful plus a video by the Al, the owner of SimplyDiscus about basic discus care.

To answer your question most here keep their pairs in 20 or 29 gallon bare bottom tank with a simple sponge filter with large daily water changes and good food. Many here run RO units to provide the breeding pairs with soft water for hatching purposes using a RO/tap mix. Check out the breeding section also, lots of good info there.
Pat

Discus2004
03-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Thanks.

Filip
03-10-2016, 06:40 PM
:argue:
I have not yet but...I have kept a ton of different freshwater fish with success.

Try keeping them for a while first .
Get a group of juvies and try to keep them alive and healthy and grow them all the way to adulthood .That should take you about a year of experience.
If you succeed that , than you can try yourself in breeding them .

Akili
03-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Try keeping them for a while first .
Get a group of juvies and try to keep them alive and healthy and grow them all the way to adulthood .That should take you about a year of experience.
If you succeed that , than you can try yourself in breeding them .I have always been a proponent of this idea.I have done three times now, starting in 1990 then again in 2006/2007 and once again last year.In 1990 at one point I had 8 pairs going.The 2006/2007 venture was a complete failure in number of ways.This time around I have three pairs from a group of ten juveniles.