PDA

View Full Version : An old Cross revisited....

brewmaster15
03-11-2016, 01:16 PM
Hi all,
I recently posted that I got some Blue snakeskins from Ryan as I wanted to try and recreate an old cross I have done.. Blue snakeskin X Wild Green. This cross was done about 10 -12 years ago. I had posted lots of pics but when we were hacked we lost alot of images years ago. I no longer have these fish as I lost them due to a bad batch of imports that came in...I always regretted that one. I did manage to find some pics of them and since people asked. Here they are. ..

Mom and Dad... Honestly they didn't look like knock out fish... The female was small and almost stunted. One thing she had genetically that is unusual these days is she was a 9 bar snakeskin. I bred her to the two wild males...

brewmaster15
03-11-2016, 01:20 PM
The offspring were artificially raised.... and I posted on that alot. AS adults these are some shots, I will see if I can find some more..

Most had a very irridescent green blue look..some were just plain non snake turqs

Phillydubs
03-11-2016, 01:22 PM
Wow Al! Some of those are very unusual and striking!! You were not kidding!!

So what happened with them? Were they all sold off? Did you continue breeding the off spring?

Do any still exist in your care or others today?

brewmaster15
03-11-2016, 01:26 PM
So now I am going to try it again.. I have a group of Red Spotted Greens from my friend Steve Colley which originally came from John (Snookin21) a few years ago...

brewmaster15
03-11-2016, 01:29 PM
and I have a group of 4 Blue snakes skins from Ryan @ First Coast

No idea what I will get when I cross them but I am looking forward to it.

brewmaster15
03-11-2016, 01:31 PM
Wow Al! Some of those are very unusual and striking!! You were not kidding!!

So what happened with them? Were they all sold off? Did you continue breeding the off spring?

Do any still exist in your care or others today?

Phil, at the time I was importing and reselling... and trying to breed. Its not something you can do without sooner or latter taking a hit. I brought in a group of fish that wiped out alot of stock. It was a hard lesson to learn. Breeding and buying to resell rarely works. It was devastating

al

Lighthouse7
03-11-2016, 01:44 PM
I think my favorite discus are the cross varieties, those were beautiful! Good luck on your new a tempt - Lighthouse

brewmaster15
03-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Found a few more pics of the old cross.. this set will show both some snakes and the turqs phenotypes I got.. I didn't keep any non-snakes to full adult.. I was really dumb back then...I had something unique and just had too much going on.

If I could go back...I'd sell every discus I had at the time and just work this cross...which is why I hope to repeat it and get something similar.

al

CrazyAngels
03-11-2016, 02:09 PM
Al, I wish you the very best on getting your cross back. the original offspring where totally awesome and would be nice to hear from someone who may have done something good with them. What you have now are some awesome discus to start from again. Best of luck..

jmf3460
03-11-2016, 02:21 PM
The offspring were artificially raised.... and I posted on that alot. AS adults these are some shots, I will see if I can find some more..
Most had a very irridescent green blue look..some were just plain non snake turqs

good googly moogly. Those crosses, especially the first pictures you posted of the crosses, are really really beautiful. I will buy these if you manage to cross a batch again. This pic, bottom left and bottom middle (close to sponge) are two of the most beautiful fish on the bunch IMO.

Phillydubs
03-11-2016, 02:24 PM
What she said!! hahahaha!!

Always amazing to see the outcome of a cross, that one is almost a solid red/orange... what a sight!

nc0gnet0
03-11-2016, 02:25 PM
Very nice Al! I know you lost all the fish, but did you ever get a chance for some F2's? Or did you get wiped out before you had the chance? Did you ever track down any of the nine bars you sold off after the disaster?

Be curious to see how close the cross this go around will look like the outcome of the original cross, and how much deviation from the original we will see.

-Rick

ps. It's a start, but I don't think this cross will fully earn your "mutt" merit badge just yet :)

brewmaster15
03-11-2016, 02:29 PM
ps. It's a start, but I don't think this cross will fully earn your "mutt" merit badge just yet :) Lol... Guy gets a few mutts under his belt and hes the "muttmaster" handing out badges.:bandana:

nc0gnet0
03-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Looking at the great shapes of the offspring, then looking at the parents, leads you to believe a good portion (not all) of decently shape/sized discus is as much a product of environment as it is genetics.

brewmaster15
03-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Looking at the great shapes of the offspring, then looking at the parents, leads you to believe a good portion (not all) of decently shape/sized discus is as much a product of environment as it is genetics. True.. but I have to say, I bought this female as an adult and she may have been stunted.. She is also the same female that I wrote an article on regarding her tapeworms... that her here...

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/internal/tapeworms.shtml

CraigJ
03-11-2016, 03:01 PM
Beautiful fish Al. I'd like to place an order for 10 fry just in time of NADA Chicago. :blushing:

O.K., a person can dream big can't they.....

Craigj

brewmaster15
03-11-2016, 03:13 PM
Beautiful fish Al. I'd like to place an order for 10 fry just in time of NADA Chicago. :blushing:

O.K., a person can dream big can't they.....

Craigj
I hope I can fill that order Lol!

brady
03-11-2016, 04:12 PM
Hi Al
I'll be down when you want to sell the fry. My first fish from you where green turqs. A while ago and
to my mind one of the best fish I have ever had. Anyway, let me know when you have fry.
Best of luck.
Jay

PS. good to see you sneaking back into the game. LOL

brewmaster15
03-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Hi Al
I'll be down when you want to sell the fry. My first fish from you where green turqs. A while ago and
to my mind one of the best fish I have ever had. Anyway, let me know when you have fry.
Best of luck.
Jay

PS. good to see you sneaking back into the game. LOL
Lol..Thanks Jay!

Altum Nut
03-11-2016, 08:50 PM
Quite impressive offspring Al...Would be interesting to see what todays Blue SS with your RSG will shoot out in comparison to your old school offspring. I guess once they start dancing we will soon find out.

...Ralph

rickztahone
03-11-2016, 09:30 PM
9 bar snake, that is very interesting indeed. Don't hear that very often. Great pattern on many of these Al, and I am glad you were able to dig these photos up. Many times, we have something really good in front of us and we are so busy with 10 other things that we forget to recognize each for what it is. Here's hoping that it will not happen to you again bud.

jcheville
11-21-2016, 07:58 PM
I have long suspected this and would love to do some experiments in this area in the future. Its seems like genes are genes, and those are whats revealed in the offspring, regardless (to a point) of how well that the parents were raised.