PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! My new juvies won't eat

lindad5038
03-11-2016, 03:22 PM
So I get 6 discus last Sunday ( 4in ) I haven't seen them eat anything since I brought them home. They were healthy upon purchase ( now I don't know) It's crazy, they run from anything I drop in tank ( beefheart cubes, bloodworms, cobalt discus pellets and omega one color flakes. I am using rodi and waste water and doing water changes daily. My parameters are: pH 7.8, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all negative. I am so concerned about them. I did start over with this tank before adding fish. My filter was not cycled but the breeder I bought fish from gave me a cycled foam filter. Can anyone help with any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Linda

delta5
03-11-2016, 03:56 PM
So I get 6 discus last Sunday ( 4in ) I haven't seen them eat anything since I brought them home. They were healthy upon purchase ( now I don't know) It's crazy, they run from anything I drop in tank ( beefheart cubes, bloodworms, cobalt discus pellets and omega one color flakes. I am using rodi and waste water and doing water changes daily. My parameters are: pH 7.8, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all negative. I am so concerned about them. I did start over with this tank before adding fish. My filter was not cycled but the breeder I bought fish from gave me a cycled foam filter. Can anyone help with any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Linda

Are you feeding the same food they were eating?
Have you tried lowering the light level?
Did they have hiding places before and not now?

brady
03-11-2016, 04:03 PM
I would say give them time. They need to get use to your tank,lights,routine, ect.
I have had fish that immediately started feeding ,showing no signs of being skittish , now, I have a group, while they eat, the minute I walk into the room
They hide.
They will come around.
Jay

lindad5038
03-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Are you feeding the same food they were eating?
Have you tried lowering the light level?
Did they have hiding places before and not now?

The breeder made his own beefheart mix ( I should have asked for a little ) I usually don't turn lights on due to this issue, just light from the room. They had a foam filter in breeders tank and that's all. They now have that and a big fake rock to hide behind.

lindad5038
03-11-2016, 04:13 PM
I would say give them time. They need to get use to your tank,lights,routine, ect.
I have had fish that immediately started feeding ,showing no signs of being skittish , now, I have a group, while they eat, the minute I walk into the room
They hide.
They will come around.
Jay

I certainly hope so. I don't want them to die. I don't even care if they get stunted because of this.

Akili
03-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Raise the temperature to 84 degrees. Higher temperature will raise the metabolic rate and encourage their appetite.

lindad5038
03-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Raise the temperature to 84 degrees. Higher temperature will raise the metabolic rate and encourage their appetite.

I did raise the temp from 82 to 84 a couple of days ago

Akili
03-11-2016, 04:43 PM
I did raise the temp from 82 to 84 a couple of days agoYou can safely go to 86 and see if that changes. Live foods is an another option.

delta5
03-11-2016, 04:43 PM
I did raise the temp from 82 to 84 a couple of days ago

Have you tried adding garlic to their food? Maybe wrap the tank with white paper towels to give them privacy.

John_Nicholson
03-11-2016, 04:58 PM
Linda have you started treating the replacement water with Prime or safe yet? I would also go ahead and turn the light on. It will help keep shadows from falling across the tank.

-john

lindad5038
03-11-2016, 05:05 PM
Linda have you started treating the replacement water with Prime or safe yet? I would also go ahead and turn the light on. It will help keep shadows from falling across the tank.

-john

Yes, I have, John. Ok, will try that.