PDA

View Full Version : Is Levamisole Safe to Use With Plants, Corys, etc.

DISCUS STU
03-11-2016, 10:29 PM
I have reason to believe that my Wild's may have worms and or Capillaria. After having treated new Wilds in another qt. tank I see whitish thread like things expelled.

I would like to treat a 60 gal., bb tank with two potted Amazon Swords, some Brochis Catfish, Bristlenose and some Wilds. I understand the treatment regimen is one dose once a month for a few months.

Will the Levamisole kill any of my plants or other non Discus inhabitants of the tank. Years ago Fluke Tabs would do a pretty good job of killing all Cory type catfish.

brewmaster15
03-11-2016, 11:11 PM
Its fine for plants Stu and I have used it on corys with no issues.

Dosing need not be that often... 2-4 ppm solution...dose 3 times... dose 1st dose ..24 hr bath...big water change ...redose about 3 weeks latter.. again 24 hrs bath...wc
.. redose a few months latter if you are the worrying kind.

Hth,
Al

brewmaster15
03-11-2016, 11:13 PM
Please be careful when dosing...theres some out there that recommend higher doses..we have seen toxicity with some discus at high doses. 2 -4 ppm should deal with worms, Ime.

DISCUS STU
03-11-2016, 11:38 PM
Thanks Al. I'll be dosing .07 grams per 10 gals.

I assume I have to turn off the UV sterilizer.

HarryDk
05-17-2017, 10:59 AM
I want to try levamisole to treat one of my fish, but In Australia the easiest source of leva is cattle/sheep worming product. Would that work too?

nc0gnet0
05-19-2017, 06:39 PM
I want to try levamisole to treat one of my fish, but In Australia the easiest source of leva is cattle/sheep worming product. Would that work too?

It will work, but the problem is that a lot of those de-wormers are in a sugar base, and as a result you can get a big bacterial bloom which will really cloud the water.