PDA

View Full Version : Need some help...

Mojorisin138
03-15-2016, 12:22 AM
Hello,
I just recently joined as I'm looking at delving into keeping discus. I have some concerns that I will try and address thoroughly and used the questionnaire stickied to this section. Let me know if there is any other information I can give you guys to help me out!
1- I've been in the fish keeping hobby now for about 5 years. I've kept American cichlids, various plecos, hybrids like flower horn. I'm fairly knowledgeable.
2. I have read the stickies on this site and gathered other knowledge through various online resources.
3. I will be setting up a 40 breeder that I was hoping to begin my discus keeping adventure in!
4. The decor will likely include sand, wood (branches such as manzanita) and large river rock.
5. My water change schedule will be determined as this is why I'm posting here, too figure out things like this! Although, I would plan for weekly at least 30%-50% WC.
6. I plan on using cannister filter, standard heating unit and perhaps LED or fluorescent light bar.
7. I do not have tank currently set up but expect the PH to be about 7.7 and the hardness is about 21 grains per gallon or 360 mg/l from municipal water.
The rest is really just dependent on whether or not a healthy discus tank can be attainable given the above mentioned info. I'm not looking to breed or anything but would like a flourishing environment. I've always wanted to get into this particular species but always thought the hard water where I live would not allow it. What do you guys think. Your help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Akili
03-15-2016, 07:29 AM
Hi and welcome to SimplyDiscus.First a 40 breeder will too small a tank to raise Discus unless you geting a proven breeding pair. Discus are a schooling fish and should be kept in groups of six or more. Second weekly water change of least 30%-50% will not cut it.Discus need lots of fresh, clean warm water.By the way, do not know if you have watched this video by the owner of this site, if you have not then spend an hour of your time and watch it
https://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8
Most of us keep Discus in municipal water

chuckiesmalls
03-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Akili per usual, dropping that knowledge!

I've heard minimum is typically 50-55gallons.

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision!

CJ

Mojorisin138
03-15-2016, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

Jayy
03-15-2016, 04:00 PM
If you get adult discus then your setup with sand and rock and wood should be manageable, but I asked the same questions just a bit ago and I have learned that if you intend to get juvenile discus and grow them out, you will want to have a bare bottom tank with no substrate and make sure any rocks or branches you use can be moved and cleaned well so they don't harbor waste and detritus that would drive your nitrates up. Keeping nitrates low is very important to raising full size healthy discus when starting from fry.

I had the same plan to use sand and rocks and the advice from this great community changed my mind right quick. As of now I'm going with a bare bottom tank and a couple pieces of decorative wood that I can clean around and under without issue.

rickztahone
03-15-2016, 04:32 PM
If you get adult discus then your setup with sand and rock and wood should be manageable, but I asked the same questions just a bit ago and I have learned that if you intend to get juvenile discus and grow them out, you will want to have a bare bottom tank with no substrate and make sure any rocks or branches you use can be moved and cleaned well so they don't harbor waste and detritus that would drive your nitrates up. Keeping nitrates low is very important to raising full size healthy discus when starting from fry.

I had the same plan to use sand and rocks and the advice from this great community changed my mind right quick. As of now I'm going with a bare bottom tank and a couple pieces of decorative wood that I can clean around and under without issue.

You learned quick Jay! If only every new member was that easy to convince...

chuckiesmalls
03-19-2016, 12:40 AM
Interesting I currently have a gravel bottom that may be moving to the bare bottom to experiment soon