PDA

View Full Version : 55 Gallon barrels

nofearengineer
03-18-2016, 02:48 AM
What is the consensus on which food grade barrel is best?

The blue one with 2 small holes in the top?

Or the "pickle barrel" where the entire top unscrews?

I'm leaning towards the latter for better access, but then again, the other would be better protected against dust and other crap while the water is aging.

Jason.M
03-18-2016, 07:15 AM
I have a blue one with 2 top holes. No issues with it. I got it from a pool servicing company and it was only ever used for chlorine. The barrels have a fatigue life and can only be sent back for refilling a certain amount of times before the barrel needs to be desposed of. The store owner then sells them off for 20$. I think the biggest thing is to be careful of what it may of had in it before. I wouldn't feel comfortable with one that had car wash soap or oil in it, which seemed to be what most other barrels around here for sale had in them.

Akili
03-18-2016, 10:05 AM
Pickle barrel where the entire top unscrews would be much better when it comes to cleaning it when slime builds up.The blue ones with 2 small holes in the top are not very user friendly for that reason.

Phillydubs
03-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Are you anti garbage can? I have never used any type of barrel because of my need for wheels but I have loved my 55 gallon can I got off amazon...

nofearengineer
03-18-2016, 01:10 PM
I found a place locally that I trust as far as what was originally stored in their barrels. It's a meat place that buys peppers for making sandwich loaves and things of that nature. They are selling 120kg (30 gallon) red ones with the screw on cap for $10 each.

Since my plan for my 240 is to change 60 gallons at a time, I think I'm going to go buy a couple of them. Can't beat that price. But I do realize I'll need an extra heater. Either that or I'll need some way to connect the barrels.

The smaller ones will surely be easier to clean.

Phillydubs
03-18-2016, 03:18 PM
Sounds like a lot of work and added expense ...

Not to repeat myself and you can do as you choose but here is a link to what I got and I love it so...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001F0GBT8/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Akili
03-18-2016, 03:36 PM
Sounds like a lot of work and added expense ...

Not to repeat myself and you can do as you choose but here is a link to what I got and I love it so...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001F0GBT8/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1Phil The OP does not have the options of get it from Amazon in Australia if I am not mistaken.

DJW
03-18-2016, 03:36 PM
I got lucky and found some barrels, new for $38 each. They have a heavy duty 14" dia. screw top with a smaller opening in the center, about 2" in diameter with its own screw-in cap. This smaller opening is good for tubes and wires. They also have a faucet on the bottom that can be used for plumbing to a pump. I don't think these are widely available, they look imported... but there is an imprint of a wine glass, spoon and fork, the universal symbol for food grade.

Phillydubs
03-18-2016, 04:15 PM
I am pretty sure he is in the USA... Could be wrong but quite sure...

Akili
03-18-2016, 04:20 PM
I am pretty sure he is in the USA... Could be wrong but quite sure...Sorry Phil, my mistake. You are right OP is in SW Indiana. U.S.A.

rickztahone
03-20-2016, 08:37 PM
My 2 cents, I prefer the one with the open top. Why? Because I have the 2 screw top, lol. I had to cut mine open to be able to put my pump in there. The heater could fit in the hole, but not the pump.

So, got the circular saw out and went to work. After cutting out a ~6x12" hole, the pump now fits and is a whole lot easier to clean. Without this access hole, cleaning it would be a huge pain, and impossible really to keep really clean.

What if you drop something in there? I did once, and even with the access hole, it was difficult, lol.

nofearengineer
03-21-2016, 01:47 AM
I bought four of the 30-gallon ones.

I'm kind of reaching a point of sadness, because I am probably going to have to sell my 65 Impala convertible project car to make room in my garage for this stuff.

Oh well, if you think discus is an expensive hobby, try rebuilding a classic car.

rickztahone
03-21-2016, 08:47 PM
I bought four of the 30-gallon ones.

I'm kind of reaching a point of sadness, because I am probably going to have to sell my 65 Impala convertible project car to make room in my garage for this stuff.

Oh well, if you think discus is an expensive hobby, try rebuilding a classic car.

Don't sell it! I love 65's! We are currently actually on the home stretch restoring one right now actually.

I had a chance go get a project 65 when I was 18. The guy wanted 2,500. Went to the bank and got all the money out I had (closed the account actually), asked for loans that same day from family members and when I was going to his place money in hand and he was in his front yard shaking hands with another person. I was distraught! It was my Eleanor, but I always said I would get my hands on another 65. This one isn't mine, but we've put in a lot of man hours in to it.

nofearengineer
03-22-2016, 03:48 AM
Don't sell it! I love 65's! We are currently actually on the home stretch restoring one right now actually.

I had a chance go get a project 65 when I was 18. The guy wanted 2,500. Went to the bank and got all the money out I had (closed the account actually), asked for loans that same day from family members and when I was going to his place money in hand and he was in his front yard shaking hands with another person. I was distraught! It was my Eleanor, but I always said I would get my hands on another 65. This one isn't mine, but we've put in a lot of man hours in to it.

Funny, because I also paid $2500 for mine a couple years ago. It has no engine or trans, but I have a big block/turbo 400 sitting in the garage I want to built a nice 600hp/600tq 496 from. It has no top, though the frame is there. It has the usual rust issues in a couple spots, but I have new rear quarters sitting in my spare bedroom (I told you my garage is full LOL). I also have new carpets, new upholstery, and all new rubber seals in boxes too. I got all of this stuff with it. I just need to cram an air compressor into my garage somehow before I start any real bodywork.

rickztahone
03-22-2016, 12:22 PM
Funny, because I also paid $2500 for mine a couple years ago. It has no engine or trans, but I have a big block/turbo 400 sitting in the garage I want to built a nice 600hp/600tq 496 from. It has no top, though the frame is there. It has the usual rust issues in a couple spots, but I have new rear quarters sitting in my spare bedroom (I told you my garage is full LOL). I also have new carpets, new upholstery, and all new rubber seals in boxes too. I got all of this stuff with it. I just need to cram an air compressor into my garage somehow before I start any real bodywork.

Sounds like a fun project. Start a thread in our off topic section. Would love to follow that progress. I will post a picture of the 65 soon and I'll link you to it.

Larry Bugg
03-22-2016, 01:13 PM
What if you drop something in there? I did once, and even with the access hole, it was difficult, lol.

LOL, I took my fish and tanks down a while back for the move but hadn't taken the two 330 gallon totes down yet. Did that on Sunday. I was finally able to get the stuff that had fallen into them out.