PDA

View Full Version : Trickle Filter - Keeping bio balls wet?

Jayy
03-18-2016, 01:09 PM
Hey folks,

I'm using a trickle filter setup in my sump. What I'm wondering is, how long could the bio balls go without water trickling over them before the bacteria within them dies off? Are we talking a matter of hours, or days? I plan to turn off my pump when feeding the tank but that's just a matter of a couple minutes. Would a few minutes during feeding, or an hour or so during water changes have a negative effect on the bacteria?

Akili
03-18-2016, 01:48 PM
I think the bacteria will live on the bio balls as long as the bacteria remains damp. If the media totally dries out then the bacteria dies. However, it can live for weeks/months if it's kept damp and has access to air.

pitdogg2
03-18-2016, 04:36 PM
^^^^^this

rickztahone
03-18-2016, 11:24 PM
I think the bacteria will live on the bio balls as long as the bacteria remains damp. If the media totally dries out then the bacteria dies. However, it can live for weeks/months if it's kept damp and has access to air.

Got it right. It will remain alive for a while so long as it is damp. When discus eat, typically you should turn off the filter(s) for 15-20 max. This should not impact your colonies in a negative way. In fact, it may make your colonies even stronger as the weak bacteria dies, and the strong survives during this exchange.

Jayy
03-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Awesome, thanks everyone.

So, even if for some reason I had to turn off the pump for a day or so, I could just fill the sump so the bio balls are submerged and add an air stone and keep them alive it seems like.

pitdogg2
03-21-2016, 05:45 PM
Awesome, thanks everyone.

So, even if for some reason I had to turn off the pump for a day or so, I could just fill the sump so the bio balls are submerged and add an air stone and keep them alive it seems like.

yes sir. or even just a small power head pointing up to the surface to keep some sort of circulation