PDA

View Full Version : New guy with questions

mels95yj
03-18-2016, 08:48 PM
Hey guys and gals. As you can see, I've been a member since 2007, and this is my first post. Basically, I've wanted to do discus tank since the late 90's, but I've always gone with community or saltwater tanks. It's finally time to get one. I'll be going with a 55g due to room layout, dual Ac70's, blue or gray painted background, sand colored painted bottom and driftwood/manzanita branches. I'll have a few other species from the "approved" tank mates list and 6-7 discus. The tank will be cycled fish less and then it her tank mates added before the discus. I'm sure I'll have many more questions, but here's my first one.

Do I really have to add all 6-7 discus at once, or can I go break up the orders? There's no stores with 100 miles that sell discus, so I'll have to go Internet. I was thinking two shipments of three to help offset the costs. Thanks in advance!

Mel

rickztahone
03-18-2016, 09:55 PM
If you have to order online, you have to realize that shipping will be $100+ per shipment. Do you really want to spend at least $300 dollars on shipping alone?!? That is a lot of money that you can simply spend on more discus.

Furthermore, when you get any fish, not just discus, but ANY, you have to quarantine incoming fish. Do you really want to do QT 2 separate times? You usually QT anywhere from 6-8 weeks. Seems more hassle than simply saving up for one lump sum buy and be done with it.

Akili
03-18-2016, 10:12 PM
Like Ricardo posted,Get them in one shot and be over with, what you save on shipping will offset the overall cost of your collection. There a better chance of a pair or two.

mels95yj
03-19-2016, 09:39 AM
That's what I was afraid of. LOL. My next question is what size QT tank for 6-7 discus? 29g? I'll be shooting for around 3" fish.

Martox
03-20-2016, 10:18 AM
I'll put this out there, cause it's based off experience. But if you're saying that your tank is new and cycled and currently has no fish in it, use it as a QT. Then after 6-8 week clearance add your tank mates.