PDA

View Full Version : Review of Current Water Parameters

jmk228
03-18-2016, 10:49 PM
Hello everyone,

This is my first post to this forum so please bare with me. I would like to get some opinions on my current water parameters for keeping discus.

PH- 7.6 from tap (24 hour later with DE-chlorination and air-stone 7.5)
GH- 5.0 from tap (24 hours later with air-stone 6.0)
KH- 6.0 from tap (24 hours later with air-stone 7.0)

I will be setting up a 120 gallon tank (48x24x24) and plan on keeping 6-7 adult discus. The filtration will be (2) Fluval 406's with DIY spray bars and 2 Hydor V sponges. The tank will be BB with some larger granite rocks and Mopani driftwood.

I don't want to have to mess with chemically altering my water so if these parameters won't work I will need to go in another direction with regards to occupants. I love discus and chemicals aren't the answer IMO. Things can fluctuate to much and get missed if one is on vacation or away for a few days.

Thank you all for reviewing and sharing your opinions with regards to this post. I appreciate it and if I have done something that is not appropriate in this post please let me know.

Jim

rickztahone
03-18-2016, 11:11 PM
Welcome to the forum Jim. There is nothing in your parameters that makes me think that you can't simply just use straight tap water. You will have to check it again come winter to make sure you do not have any micro bubbles or bigger pH swings, but for now, you should be fine.

afriend
03-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Jim,

Here's what I wish I knew when I first started keeping discus:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?120956-What-Are-Bioload-and-Biomass-and-Why-They-Are-Important

Hope this is helpful.

Paul