PDA

View Full Version : New to getting Discus.

Marine Fish
03-19-2016, 12:43 AM
Question is. I'm setting up my tank at my office. As to feeding them can Discus go 2 days over the weekend without any food? Not sure I like the idea of a auto feeder.

Marty

warblad79
03-19-2016, 01:03 AM
Why? What's wrong with autofeeder?

CrazyAngels
03-19-2016, 01:13 AM
True, some auto feeders have compartments and you can do the portions in each as you wish..

Marine Fish
03-19-2016, 01:23 AM
I feel they put food in the tank that may get un eaten. Never use one. Just wonder if the fish will be okay without any food over the weekend.

Phillydubs
03-19-2016, 08:35 AM
Depends on the size of your tank and the size of the fish...

I have a tank in my office and my fish often go all weekend without food... They get a 100 WC on Friday and don't get fed again until Monday... There are times I am even in the office and will not feed if I know I don't have time for a water change. It is like a mini vacation. Good clean water and they are fine...

So to initially answer your question yes... However, if you are getting juvies or smaller fish and growing them out then I would not risk slipping feedings for a few days every single week you are sure to stunt them or not obtain optimal growth...

So if you want to go this route get large sub adults or adults and you will be fine.

Dudley Eirich
03-19-2016, 09:36 AM
Depends on the size of your tank and the size of the fish...

I have a tank in my office and my fish often go all weekend without food... They get a 100 WC on Friday and don't get fed again until Monday... There are times I am even in the office and will not feed if I know I don't have time for a water change. It is like a mini vacation. Good clean water and they are fine...

So to initially answer your question yes... However, if you are getting juvies or smaller fish and growing them out then I would not risk slipping feedings for a few days every single week you are sure to stunt them or not obtain optimal growth...

So if you want to go this route get large sub adults or adults and you will be fine.

I agree. No-feeding weekends are fine for adults , but not for a growing-out situation. I have found that when I don't feed discus for a day or more, they take a while to start eating well. For that reason, I would consider an automatic feeder to feed at least some dry food once a day. The water quality shouldn't suffer too much. Pellet food is nice to use in an automatic feeder if the fish are not susceptible to bloat.

Marine Fish
03-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Thanks for everyone's support. The smart thing to do here is get the Auto Feeder. Done! order it today.

rickztahone
03-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Which one did you go with?

discuspaul
03-20-2016, 09:29 PM
Quite honestly, there is no problem with going 2 days without feeding any species of fish.
Don't worry about it. In most cases it just helps to improve their appetite anyway, no matter what foods you intend to feed them next. Try it out - you won't be faced with any kind of disaster.

Marine Fish
03-22-2016, 12:21 AM
Ricardo-

Went with (Hydor EKOMIXO Fish Feeder, Battery-Operated). Will see if I like it. Haven't tried it yet. I like Hydor products.

Marine Fish
03-22-2016, 12:23 AM
Thanks for that. I saw your input of this fish experience with Discus awesome write up.

Marine Fish
03-22-2016, 12:31 AM
I also would like to ask about starting with a planted tank. I already started with planted substrate cycling the tank as we speak. pros' a con's. Worried about how to clean the substrate. Seems to be an issue.

discuspaul
03-22-2016, 11:56 AM
I also would like to ask about starting with a planted tank. I already started with planted substrate cycling the tank as we speak. pros' a con's. Worried about how to clean the substrate. Seems to be an issue.

Yes, it can be an issue Marty, and it usually is - for novices to discus just starting out with them, and most particularly if the discus are small very young fish, or juveniles, that have not yet developed a mature immune system and still have a good deal of growing to do.
Another consideration is the kind of substrate being used, with gravel being especially difficult to keep clean enough to avoid poor water quality & conditions, which often results in stunted, or poorly shaped fish.

The only fairly risk-free way for a newcomer to discus to get by with a planted tank to begin with is to get nothing smaller than 5" fish, adult or near adult, and to not neglect doing large regular water changes.

If your affordability level restricts you to acquiring only juvenile fish, then the recommendation needs to be that you raise them in a bare-bottom environment until they're near adult size - otherwise, you're regrettably inviting disappointing results.

P.S.
I know this is a difficult pill to swallow, Marty- as it could very likely place you right back into a 'start over again' mode - but better that, than risking raising poorly-developed fish with a high likelihood of health issues at best, to the loss of big $$$ through young fish not surviving for very long, at worst.

LizStreithorst
03-22-2016, 02:43 PM
It's fine with adult fish but not with juvies. The Eheim feeders are the best IMHO.

Marine Fish
03-26-2016, 01:36 AM
Thanks, Paul. Tomorrow I'm going to start with Tetra's to allow cycling to complete. So I have 55 gal. How many Discus fish should I have if 4 to 5 inches. Suggestions on where to purchase fish. Are local area is hard to find what I'm looking for. 5 inch fish are pretty pricey. Can I buy a few at at a time.

discuspaul
03-26-2016, 11:43 AM
I suggest you dispense with cycling the tank with Tetras or any other species, and do a fishless cycle with store bought ammonia.
A 55 gal is small enough as it is, to accommodate only 5 discus, without adding any dither fish (not to mention the essential quarantine that should be undertaken).

There are several problems associated with getting discus just 1 or 2 at a time - suffice to say for now that in order for you to take on the least amount of risk, and enjoy the best chances for success, is to get juveniles (5 all at once when your tank is cycled) go bare-bottom till they grow out to near 5", and consider planting/aqua-scaping only at that point.

A top notch, high quality discus source in Ca. is Kenny's Discus in Daly City, Ca. (S.F.) who is a sponsor here on the forum.

Kenny's is only an hour's drive from you.

Marine Fish
06-16-2016, 01:26 AM
Well, I'm back Came a long ways in 4 months. The tank is doing great. I have 9 Discus. avg size 4". Plants are great. Added a CO2 system. With paintball tank. Everybody's happy. Put in 20 danios for action. Sailfin Pelco couple Siamese algae fish. Again all good. Using RODI no tap. ph holds at 6.8. Changing water 20 gal. twice a week.

Marty