PDA

View Full Version : Fishless Cycle Problem

jramer87
03-21-2016, 03:36 PM
Hey guys I need some advice on how to fix a problem I'm having while fishless cycling my new 55. The ammonia I was using apparently had a detergent of some kind in it which I obviously didn't realize until after about two weeks of dosing my aquarium with it. I'm trying to figure out the best way to remove it from the tank so i don't harm any fish. I haven't added any fish to the aquarium yet so that's good. Will water changes and double dosing prime do the trick or do I need to change all filter media, sand, rocks, etc... and start over? I'm willing to do whatever I need to do, but this is new territory for me. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jayy
03-21-2016, 03:44 PM
My suggestion is to strip the aquarium completely of all sand and rocks. Replace your filter sponges since they are inexpensive. Wash the tank and all equipment with diluted vinegar and rinse very well. Fill your tank again as a bare bottom tank and restart your cycle. Leave out your rocks and sand. Discus will do better with a bare bottom tank. Pick up some driftwood if you want to have something to break up the bare tank outline.

If you do need to put rocks and sand back in the tank, you'll need to wash and rinse them several times.

jramer87
03-21-2016, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the advice. That's more or less what I was thinking. Any suggestions on the vinegar solution ratio?

Akili
03-21-2016, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the advice. That's more or less what I was thinking. Any suggestions on the vinegar solution ratio?I would use straight vinegar no diluting.

jramer87
03-22-2016, 10:27 AM
Hey guys, wanted to get your opinion on something I heard on another forum. The guy said that if the tank water is still the surfactants will rise to the top and can be absorbed by placing some paper towels on the the surface and then doing a few water changes. The guy mentioned that he had the same problem and didn't notice any issues with his fish afterwards. He also said that the most of the surfactants they use in laundry & cleaning supplies are organic compounds that can be consumed by microbes as well. Did you guys have any thoughts on that?

Akili
03-22-2016, 10:44 AM
Ammonia with surfactants means it has detergent in it, which is not good. Plus surfactants will hindering the development of beneficial bacteria. I would drain and rinse with water and neutralize the tank with vinegar and start fresh. No regrets later that way.

jramer87
03-22-2016, 10:48 AM
Ya I think you're right akili. I'll just bite the bullet and knock it out this weekend. Thanks for the feedback guys! I appreciate your help.