PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine question

Luke S.
03-22-2016, 12:44 PM
In my 90 gallon discus tank the fish aren't that sick but one small fish is getting skinny but it eats like a hog and yesterday I noticed my adult orange tangerine itching it's butt with its fins. In the past I treated with Dr. Discus Two different ones being anti worms I treated for 5 days and the next week with anti infusorian for the recommended dosage. These were things I had laying around and seemed to help. Before that I have treated with clout dozens of times. I'm not shure what I should try treating now to get them healthy. Any ideas? I have charcoal in the filter but remove it during treatments. I got rid of the plants I had and threw the anubias in my greenhouse for the summer. They grow like weeds outside. And i'm in a northern state, (PA). But what do you guys think I should treat with. I can order anything online so it's not an issue.

Luke S.
03-23-2016, 06:37 PM
Anyone?

LizStreithorst
03-23-2016, 07:28 PM
The rule of thumb is that if a fish doesn't eat it has worms if it doesn't eat or picks up food and spits it out spits it out it has hex. Your fish could have worms or it could be a runt. I've used both levamisol and fenbendazol for worms with success. If you treat, I would suggest treating all the fish in the tank not just the one that isn't gaining weight.

Luke S.
03-24-2016, 01:43 AM
Ok. Thx and if anyone else has an opinion I would be more than happy to hear it. What would be the best medication for worms that will go a long way for the price and my tank being 90 gallons.

Luke S.
03-24-2016, 01:44 AM
What are all the possibilities of why they could of enherited worms. That way I will also know how to prevent worms. What should I buy to take care of worms/hex ect.

Akili
03-24-2016, 06:43 AM
Ok. Thx and if anyone else has an opinion I would be more than happy to hear it. What would be the best medication for worms that will go a long way for the price and my tank being 90 gallons.Drop the water level in your 90 gallon to 60 gallons that way you will use less medication. Levamisole or Fenbendazole will work fine.

Luke S.
03-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Ok

Luke S.
03-24-2016, 12:31 PM
Where should I get a med at that will last me a while and which one is more convenient of the two. How long would I have to treat for with the water level down.

Luke S.
03-25-2016, 09:37 PM
Anyone?

Luke S.
03-25-2016, 09:38 PM
I just hope I don't lose any fish before I have a chance to treat.

rickztahone
03-25-2016, 09:42 PM
How often are you doing water changes and how much are you changing each time?

Luke S.
03-26-2016, 09:05 PM
65-70 percent daily. Running an aquaclear110 and three sponge filters (large). Never nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, ph 6.4(very steady). Tds37. I wiegh my added buffer to the ro water with a gram scale to stay consistent. 55 gal water storage tank. Aeration/ heated/ aged. Filters are cleaned constantly but I rotate them so keep bacteria level high current led lighting 36 watt 48 in strip........ Again there isn't much downsides to the tank. I think i'm gonna order kusuri wormer plus because I still can use it in the future if it doesn't work. Also FYI I only use money maid in the hobby and put it back into this add me and my dad are using the money for knowledge before we go big. Kinda personal but I don't want you guys to feel i'm making the wrong choice and as of now i'm breeding discus successfully but still a beginner with only 14 months of experience with discus. I haven't given up yet and hope to never with this specimen. Thx guys and pls suggest what I should try as of meds.

Luke S.
03-26-2016, 10:37 PM
Well screw that kusuri stuff because that one fish that was skinny was the smallest fish and needed to be culled so I put it down and he also wasn't worth anything. Though he's gone i'm sure all of the fish have worms so I will just treat with medicated flake. I might still buy flubendazole and treat once, and then feed the flake because ever the fish I put down was eating like a hog along with all of my other fish. It's too much of a hassle to get a product from the uk. Because it will take over a week to get to me in the us so I will just use medicated flake and order it from the USA.

Luke S.
03-26-2016, 10:39 PM
Pls give feed back on your thoughts of this idea I won't order till tomarrow because it's not a business day.

Akili
03-27-2016, 08:57 AM
IF your fish are eating well, show no signs of stress, no clamped fins and are not hiding there is no need of medication. Keep up the water changes.If you want to treat your fish as a precaution then get some Prazipro and Metro. A treatment with metro should be for Ten days. You can order online or get it from your local fish store.

Luke S.
03-27-2016, 05:09 PM
I am doing for precaution. I would upload a vid to YouTube of the tank but it's a lot of hassle .

Cosmo
03-27-2016, 05:40 PM
If it's eating like a hog but is getting skinny - worms most likely. They take all the nutrients the fish eats for them. Ditch the charcoal out of your filter for good, a waste of money when you're doing water changes like you are. What you want is bio filtration and mechanical filtration - no need for the chemical crap and it can actually be counter productive. Don't forget when you treat with antibiotics it damages your bio filter so keep up with the water changes. Didn't see anything about temp, which is weird .. if you haven't already bump your temp up cause it doesn't sound like a bacterial issue.

Luke S.
03-27-2016, 06:20 PM
I guess they are and i'm going to order medications that I know are effective against certain things. What else besides hole in the head, tape,and round worms, flukes and bacterial should I be aware of because i'm only 14 and with school being a main priority along with other things, ect. , it's hard to be prepared if my discus stop growing or feeding,ect. I need a (Medicine cabinet) to be able to take out any diseases before it's too late. My dad and I are running an aquaculture farm along with greenhouses for growing aquarium plants and other pond related plants. I stole an automatic
Koi/ aquaculture feeder out of the green house grow out tanks till I make a belt feeder for my discus. This seems to help being that I have juvies with my mature discus so they can get food. This feeder has a compartment to add food, up to 20 gallons. It has a built in computer which allows you to take the weight of your fish load and feed them however amount of thier wieght per day. It feeds up to 288 feedings per day. Which In turn feeds them every five minutes 24/7. Of course you wouldn't do this to fish but koi and other fish are active at different times of the day. I set it to feed my discus 3% of thier body wieght each day to avoid over feeding at first. I hope to up the feedings. What's your thoughts on 3% each day I know when we grew clowloaches in our greenhouses in the summer we were feeding 10% of thier wieght in earth worms. Should we up the feedings?

Luke S.
04-04-2016, 11:19 AM
I treated with prazipro, and then with kusuri wormer and the rest of my discus seem to be healthier than ever I only lost the one like I mentioned a while back. The rest are putting on wieght again. Every med I used didn't work and only killed some of the worms, but when I used kusuri it totally wiped out the worms from the fishes system. Thx for the support and ideas!