PDA

View Full Version : New discus owner need help

Sumloc1983
03-23-2016, 09:34 PM
I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. Long story short I started a planted tank. Went to a local fish store to get some cardnal tettras and the owner sold me on discus. Couldn't resist with him saying there was a lot of myth in the hobby and my planted tank would be fine. Well everything is not so fine now. I was doing 70% once a week and fish were doing awesome. Had 4 discus 3 angels 10 cardinals and 4 very small bristle nose plecoes. The guy called me said he had 4 more i would like. I told him I didn't have a quaretine tank yet and wanted to wait he told me not to worry he would quarantine them for me. As long as I was interested and put a down payment for fish so I did. I know have some kind of diseas going and now that I have found this site found he was toatly wrong. I'm almost ruined on the hobby but I'm not willing to give up yet. Hopefully some one could help me. When I started to do more water changes is when the problem started. My water straight out of the tap is ph 7.8-8.0. 0.50 ppm ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate. Aged ph 8.2-8.4 1ppm ammonia 0for the rest. Ro/Di is ph is 6.4-6.6 0 on the rest. I mix 50/50 when doing a tank change. Started to do 60% Monday and 30-40% Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. None on Friday Saturday and sunday. Because of my work schedule. I treat all in going water with prime. My tank curently sits at ph low range reads higher than 7.6 and on the high ph test reads lower than 7.4. Ammonia is at 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate is at 5ppm after Friday Saturday and sunday nitrate reads between 10 and 20 ppm. I lost 2 discus when I started to more water changes other than once a week and fish act more stressed. I wish I would have found this site sooner. I also have some kind of fuzz on the fish. My question is how can I do water changes to make it less stressful on my fish and what is going on with this fuzz and how do i save what's left. Sorry in advance for the long post. Just holding I can stay at this hobby. I welcome any advice and help. I have some pictures of the fish of that will help any one.

Sumloc1983
03-23-2016, 09:59 PM
Sorry didn't mean to post this twice. Also tank is kept at 86 Fahrenheit

Akili
03-23-2016, 10:29 PM
Can you post some pictures of the Discus that has the fuzz.I suggest you do Daily large water changes before starting medication.See if you can get a Quarantine tank. Also spend an hour of your time and watch this video
https://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8

Sumloc1983
03-23-2016, 10:50 PM
thank you I will watch the video. And yes I have some pictures

Sumloc1983
03-23-2016, 10:57 PM
It doesn't seem to want to let me upload them. Might be doing it wrong. I'm on a mobile phone. My pictures are jpg so I don't know why it's not letting me.

Sumloc1983
03-23-2016, 11:09 PM

Sumloc1983
03-23-2016, 11:16 PM

Sumloc1983
03-24-2016, 11:15 AM
Great Video Akili. Answered some questions and am now investing in most of what I need.

Sumloc1983
03-24-2016, 11:15 AM
Any one else know what this might be.

Sumloc1983
04-11-2016, 06:37 PM
Discus are doing great. Didn't lose any also have two that have paired up and are guarding eggs.

Akili
04-11-2016, 07:23 PM
Good luck

Kyla
04-11-2016, 09:51 PM
what did u end up trying?

Sumloc1983
04-12-2016, 01:31 PM
Thank You. Large water change 90% and Fungus Cure by Api. And than after the treatment recomendations another 90% water change. Discus were stressed during use but after the last water change bounced right to normal the next day. Most of them come to the top and eat out of my hand. With the exception of the biggest brilliant blue. Unless it's blood worms she is a bottom feeder. Also sold the angels. Heard a lot of talk about them carrying a diseas that could affect my discus

Akili
04-12-2016, 01:53 PM
Thank You. Large water change 90% and Fungus Cure by Api. And than after the treatment recommendations another 90% water change. Discus were stressed during use but after the last water change bounced right to normal the next day. Most of them come to the top and eat out of my hand. With the exception of the biggest brilliant blue. Unless it's blood worms she is a bottom feeder. Also sold the angels. Heard a lot of talk about them carrying a disease that could affect my discusNow it is time to keep up with those water changes and multiple feedings they will do fine.Glad that things worked out for you.

Sumloc1983
04-12-2016, 04:03 PM
I'm doing 90% Monday and about 25% Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. Friday Saturday and Sunday I'm unable to do water changes. Due to my schedule 14 hours Friday 12 Saturday and 10 Sunday. But thank you Akili.

Akili
04-12-2016, 06:25 PM
I'm doing 90% Monday and about 25% Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. Friday Saturday and Sunday I'm unable to do water changes. Due to my schedule 14 hours Friday 12 Saturday and 10 Sunday. But thank you Akili.I would add a large water change on Thursday like the one you do Monday. In my opinion that would better as you do not do any for the next three days.

Sumloc1983
04-12-2016, 07:27 PM
I have considered that and think I may go out to night and buy another 55 gallon trash can to age and heat my water.

zchauvin
04-12-2016, 10:50 PM
Sumloc, I saw your fish in the other thread and I would be very careful with the feeding and water change regimen. Not to be harsh or anything but the fish don't look overly healthy and seem to be stunted to an extent. With them being in the setup you have them in, you should be doing far more water changes. Honesty if I were you I would not have the discus in there to begin with because all you will end up doing to posting in the disease forum. If you feed the correct foods for the fish to be grown out correctly, you will not be able to keep that tank clean enough to keep them healthy.

I do not remember exactly what the fuzz is or how it is treated but I got my start with two LFS discus and a planted 29g. Both fish lasted no longer than 4 days and costs me quite a bit of frustration and money on different medications. The fuzz is more than likely bacterial and I believe Furan 2 is what you use. Double check and get another opinion on that first.

warblad79
04-12-2016, 11:04 PM
They seem to be neglected but I can tell they have potential if they were maintained properly. Also you have to be consistent with you water change if you think you won't be able to water change the following day, make sure do a large water change the day before. Discus is not for someone who can't dedicate time and commitment otherwise you'll pay the price for loosing all your stocks.

Sumloc1983
04-12-2016, 11:44 PM
Some of the ones in the tank were stunted when bought. Shouldn't have bought them. But they were the first ones I bought. I am uping the water changes. They all are eating like pigs. One of my food is a mixture of beef heart shrimp tallipia peas spinch spirulina and astaxanthin. Not saying you guys are not right because you are. But the bottom stays pretty clean. I have 2 koralia 1500 gallon pet hour wave makers that I turn on once in the morning once in the after noon and once before bed. They are near the top of the tank. The discus get a little upset when used but they are only on for 30 seconds and it blows every thing to one side of the tank and I vacume just enough to get the food a poop out than top it off usally about 2 gallons. I'm moving the smaller ones to a 40 gallon long bb tank to finish growing them out that will be set up some time next week. The brillant blue and blue turq are going it to a 20 high as soon as it's done cycling. They have hooked up and have eggs that there guarding. So next time they lay I want them in the 20 high bb. Can you tell me which ones concerned you guys? So I know if there the onse I bought stunted or if there one of the ones I plan on moving to grow out.

warblad79
04-13-2016, 01:35 AM
If were in this kind of situation, I would tear down the whole tank and go BB, I would disinfect it including all the fish using PP and 2 weeks deworming. I'm very strict when it comes to cleanliness and I know right away if my water is dirty because fish start getting fungal or bacterial infection just like what's happening to your fish.

Kyla
04-14-2016, 10:34 AM
If were in this kind of situation, I would tear down the whole tank and go BB, I would disinfect it including all the fish using PP and 2 weeks deworming. I'm very strict when it comes to cleanliness and I know right away if my water is dirty because fish start getting fungal or bacterial infection just like what's happening to your fish.

+1 i would recommend BB too. i know it sounds drastic but after i took out my substrate i was floored by the amount of crud i siphoned off the bottom of the tank... all of that was in my substrate??? crazy. it really helps with cleanliness to have BB - there is nowhere for the crud to go so u can see it and remove it.

its def worth a try if u have any more issues.

i didnt see the video so i cant comment on it, i just see the gravel in ur pic and it concerns me. plus i think BB would look great with those big stumps all the plants potted up nice.

Sumloc1983
04-14-2016, 10:31 PM
Thanks for every ones help. Yes I'm considering BB. More like trying to get the nerve to tare it all down. Lol the issue was a fungus and it was brought in by my biggest discus. That I bought its over 6 inches and she is a very picky eater. When I bought her I didn't pay close enough attention to her she was beautiful and big. Well I didn't have a QT tank. BIG MISTAKE!! I know. Got her home and saw her eye was clouded. With in 3 days everything had a fungus on them including her. I treated the tank with fungus cure and a wormer while I was at it. Did a 90% WC before the treatment and 90% after. And so far knock on wood no issues. Infect she and my blue turq. Spawned but I lost the eggs at my own doing because they were laid very high and could not move what they laid on. Currently have a 20 gallon high BB setup waiting for it to finish cycling. And also a 40 gal BB for the smaller fish. After they are done cycling sad to say but the 90 may be a BB. Thanks again everyone for your help and even critiques. I'm new and apprciate all the advise and help. And I do listen and take all advise seriously or I wouldn't ask questions. Sometimes just hard to let go what I had envisioned the tank to be. But the fish are worth it.