PDA

View Full Version : What a roller coaster,wild cameta browns

Allapart
03-24-2016, 12:17 AM
Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 86_____

- ph __6.5___

- ammonia reading ___5ppm_

- nitrite reading ___0_

- nitrate reading _0___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

municipal water yes
__
Last post was Wild brown Cameta discus,
I am the newby, 90 gallon, heavily planted ,at least used to be. Discus had disease probabley caught in my tank who know's. medicated with Furan 2 and kanaplex, four doses of furan 2 and threee of kanaplex cleared everything up beautifully.
now for the fall out, wiped out 90% of plants and I am sure most of the bacteria in my filter media. Antibiotics yes can be specific but to some extent are broad spectrum anyone who thinks not WRONG.
Removed everything dead or dying, water changes 30 to 50. double dose prime and adding bacteria to try and reestablish filter (eheime 1200xl 2080)
Got home today all parameters as above, fish almost black, mind you lights out and was well past their bed time when I got home, checked wanter and turned light on, ammonia was up 10ppm. Water change 50%, double dose prime with filter off refilled tank ,turned filter on, added 250 ml of beneficial bacteria.
within 15 minutes fish back to spectacular colors feeding like piranah
What the heck, this is been a week and a half of up and down

Akili
03-24-2016, 06:53 AM
Keep up with 50% daily water changes till the biofilter is established.

Kyla
03-24-2016, 07:02 AM
i would do way more than 50% wc if ur ammonia is spiking that high. id do closer to 100% and prob even multiple times a day. u dont want to let fish sit in toxins...

i'd pull the discus into buckets while i removed the substrate from the tank, then remove 100% of the water. the i'd add back clean dechlorinated water of the same temp with a bare bottom tank and cleaned filter media (rinsed in tank water). after the microbubbles dispersed (if using tap water) id add the discus back and continue with 100% daily wc (or more if u can still detect ammonia). how many discus do u have? any other fish?

Allapart
03-24-2016, 07:33 AM
5 cardinals, two young kribensis,

Kyla
03-24-2016, 01:03 PM
watch those kribs. if they pair off they can get aggressive while protecting fry

Phillydubs
03-24-2016, 01:04 PM
Pics?

CrazyAngels
03-24-2016, 04:33 PM
I agree you need more than 50% to keep good control of the ammonia spikes or it will continue to happen.

Allapart
03-26-2016, 09:48 AM
These poor fish don't have a chance with me, didn't think to turn back the CO2, since tank was heavily planted then killed off by meds,then trying to reestablish bio filter,the up and down spikes and everything looked great went out for fish and chips on friday and came back to 6 discus belly up, took water samples,then set them aside and started WC,did I mention belly up gasping and black as tar. Did 25% WC then refilled tank, fish started trying to right them selves, then did 50 -60% WC and they righted and went to back corners of tank sandwiched togther like coldcuts on a sandwich. Checked parameters, ammonia 0, nitrite .25 mabe or less,nitrates around 20, PH 6.5-7. So what was the problem,well happened to look at diffuser and way too high, put air stone in next to fish,immediate response started swimming and changed color immediately. Nothing like suffocating the poor fish. I am affraid to feed the darn things. LOL