PDA

View Full Version : what is good media for a cannister filter for discus

mattlawson25
03-27-2016, 02:57 PM
what is the best way to set up my canister filter for discus

Akili
03-27-2016, 04:31 PM
Ceramic noodles with polishing foam and pre-filter in the intake of your canister will help a lot.Also increase aeration in the tank.

Cosmo
03-27-2016, 05:50 PM
what is the best way to set up my canister filter for discus

The only media I'll use in my cannisters is Eheim Ehfisubstrat Pro. It's made out of sintered glass and is supposed to have a few acres of surface area in every liter.. if I remember correctly. That is what the white balls on the bottom of my aquarium are if you've ever seen a pic of my tank. Work GREAT but a little pricey ...

vader2nd
03-27-2016, 05:58 PM
Lava rock is awesome huge surface area and cheap. By a 20 lb bag at Home Depot for $7.00. Give it a good rinse and away you go. Get a polyfiber batting at your local craft store for water polishing. Good aeration in the tank. I just put a sponge filter in the tank to help with that and more filtration also

walt
03-27-2016, 06:19 PM
I use bio home sintered glass media. If you look up pond guru on you tube there is more info on it. It is said to lower nitrates I've had good results with it.

rickztahone
03-27-2016, 06:27 PM
I've been wanting to try the marine pure bricks lately. Supposedly the most porous media you can possibly by in a small footprint. Perfect for sumps. Obviously you are searching for something else as you cant fit those in the canister filter but thought I'd mention it for anyone setting up a sump and need to try new media. For all my canisters I have always had regular ceramic rings, sponges and filter floss

tonytheboss1
03-27-2016, 06:47 PM
:bandana: In both my cans & hobs along w/ the assorted sponges & filter pads, I use a product called Matrix by Seachem. Very efficient, very effective. "T"

mee
03-27-2016, 07:10 PM
I've been considering changing my canister material over to reticulated foam ( Poret Mattenfilter ), anyone else try this? I would imagine it would make for a fairly
care free canister with very good results doing 1 tray 10ppi, 1 20ppi, and 1 30ppi.

Cosmo
03-27-2016, 09:58 PM
I've been considering changing my canister material over to reticulated foam ( Poret Mattenfilter ), anyone else try this? I would imagine it would make for a fairly
care free canister with very good results doing 1 tray 10ppi, 1 20ppi, and 1 30ppi.

never tried that foam, but the foam separators that come with the old Eheim's always seemed to be a filth magnet - no idea if this foam would be the same, just mentioning

mee
03-28-2016, 09:49 AM
never tried that foam, but the foam separators that come with the old Eheim's always seemed to be a filth magnet - no idea if this foam would be the same, just mentioning

I assume you are talking about the really large cell/pore stuff, and yeah I know what you mean. I think the idea there is that it collects the junk and keeps the flow rate decent. The open cell foam commonly known as Poret, is a bit different, since the cells are open (imagine a honey comb with the walls blown out, but the skeleton remaining), it allows very good flow and huge amounts of surface area, and as recommended by the sellers, doesn't need to be changed for a very long time (years). In doing the multiple PPI, it would be my intention to catch the bigger stuff first and ideally if clean that first in line larger cell filter once a year or so the others truly should be fine for many years.... if this works the same in a canister as in the lift type systems. I actually picked up another canister today unplanned, and took most the bio beads out of my largest eheim which needs some seals to get the new filter going, so now I guess I will need some media for the eheim when I get it back up and running.. may as well give the open cell foam a try I guess.

pitdogg2
03-28-2016, 10:35 AM
I fill my Rena XP3's with the Rena 20ppi foam in the first basket and fill the 2nd basket with Seachem Matrix as well as the 3rd but leave just enough room in the 3rd to put a Rena 30ppi foam at the top.

Loosir
03-28-2016, 10:46 AM
Yes, I use my old Eheim 2215 this way when every I need to set up a QT/hospital tank. I have 4 layers of poret (two blue, one orange and one black) cut in to disk shapes to fit the canister. I leave them in my sump year round and when it's time to set up the eheim I just move them over.
Geoff

DISCUS STU
03-28-2016, 03:31 PM
Eheim canister #1, noodles, padding, filter floss. This is the prefilter to to Eheim canister #2, only Eheim Ehfisubstrat Pro.

Jack L
03-28-2016, 04:08 PM
Yes, I use my old Eheim 2215 this way when every I need to set up a QT/hospital tank. I have 4 layers of poret (two blue, one orange and one black) cut in to disk shapes to fit the canister. I leave them in my sump year round and when it's time to set up the eheim I just move them over.
Geoff

ummm...and when you take the qtank down, what do you do the the poret?

Loosir
03-28-2016, 04:11 PM
ummm...and when you take the qtank down, what do you do the the poret?
Washing machine with bleach (like cleaning the filter socks) and then back into the sump

Jack L
03-28-2016, 04:12 PM

i have poret in my sump, 3 stage.
i have not used poret in a canister, though i have used canisters and many things in them.
i would not hestitate to try poret in a canister based on how i have seen it perform in my sump.

Jack L
03-28-2016, 04:35 PM
Washing machine with bleach (like cleaning the filter socks) and then back into the sump

correct answer : )

i was hoping you weren't tossing them right back into the sump

pitdogg2
03-28-2016, 05:01 PM
correct answer : )

i was hoping you weren't tossing them right back into the sump

Once they air dry all chlorine will be gone, sitting them in the sunshine will also remove all chlorine

Loosir
03-29-2016, 07:56 AM
Here they are

DonMD
03-29-2016, 09:02 AM

I changed my two Eheim filters on a 150 gallon tank to poret only, from swisstropicals.com. Was doing a fishless cycle, and got through the ammonia stage. Got impatient and added fish, and am dealing with nitrites, but with 80% w/c daily am handling that w/o problems. Hopefully the nitrite spike will cycle out soon.

mee
03-29-2016, 10:28 AM
Here they are

That is pretty much exactly what I am thinking I will do with the sump on a new tank I have which didn't come with a drip tray. Currenty I am runnint a non poret (but very similar) circular sponge with a pump like you have set up.