PDA

View Full Version : 34g rimless waterfall tank

Debow
03-27-2016, 09:11 PM
Well I picked up a deep sea aquatics 34g starfire rimless tank measuring 24"x24"x12". It has two over flows and a waterfall return. Tank came with 30g all glass sump, skimmer, and 2 mag drive pumps. Going to paint the stand gloss white and swap over my 10g Nano tank in a few months. Getting g it run with some vinigar for now. This is going to be a interesting build and it all cost $175 !!! I couldn't believe I found it.

http://youtu.be/sSTEqJgUXIQ

rickztahone
03-28-2016, 12:35 AM
Cool looking tank Devon

Akili
03-28-2016, 07:06 AM
Looking forward to when it is all done.

Debow
03-28-2016, 07:35 AM
Ya my wife has been wanting to get my 10g nano out of our room, so she said a tank in the nursery would look nice so I have been on the scope for a nice tank, had my mine set on the JBJ Rl45 but priced at $600 id figure I'd look around for a few months. So wile scouring Cl I came across some nice rimless tanks, some all in one some not but they all didn't have the stands and I didn't want to make one. So I found this one and the guy didn't post a price so I texted him and he got back to be the next morning. Guess he bought it to do another build but figured out he just didn't have enough room to set it up next to his 120g so he had it around for a few months. Guess it came with a ecotech radion and fish and corals so he kept all that and just sold the tank.

jmf3460
03-28-2016, 10:07 AM
cool, what are you plans? planted?

Debow
03-28-2016, 12:26 PM
The dark side Jacklyn, I am going to expand my nano reef into this tank for our nursery.

Phillydubs
03-28-2016, 05:09 PM
Really cool Devon! Sounds like a good deal!

Cant wait to see it all done! Nice feature for a nursery! Who needs a white noise machine when you have that thing humming! Going to be one relaxed baby!

Discus-n00b
03-28-2016, 05:23 PM
Yes! This will be awesome for a shallow lagoon type build! Have you seen the famous Volcano tank before? Pretty cool design incorporating a type of waterfall return. He actually has crabs living on the rock above and below the water too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0OxBzg2el4

Google Lagoon Aquariums and you'll see multiple tanks with rock and mangrove sticking out of the top. Not sure if it's what you want to go for but a pretty cool idea for tanks like this.

Can't wait for the day I can upgrade my nano reef lol

Debow
03-28-2016, 10:23 PM
Yes I want to do terrestrial setup with mangroves. The crabs is a awesome idea, I'll watch the video but this tank has loads of potential. I have wanted a rimless tank like this for years.

rickztahone
03-29-2016, 01:35 PM
Tagging along. I am towards the mid point of my current nano reef build. The stand is what is going to take the longest to make since I OVER think everything when it comes to the stand.

Debow
03-29-2016, 04:45 PM
Yes! This will be awesome for a shallow lagoon type build! Have you seen the famous Volcano tank before? Pretty cool design incorporating a type of waterfall return. He actually has crabs living on the rock above and below the water too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0OxBzg2el4

Google Lagoon Aquariums and you'll see multiple tanks with rock and mangrove sticking out of the top. Not sure if it's what you want to go for but a pretty cool idea for tanks like this.

Can't wait for the day I can upgrade my nano reef lol

That is a amazing tank, The crabs were the best part. I'll have to get a bunch or emerald crabs and see if they like to get out of the water.

Debow
03-31-2016, 08:51 AM
I ordered the white starboard for the bottom, and I'm in process of refinishing the stand in white lacquer. Next I will order the reef saver dry rock from BRS.

rickztahone
03-31-2016, 04:33 PM
I ordered the white starboard for the bottom, and I'm in process of refinishing the stand in white lacquer. Next I will order the reef saver dry rock from BRS.

I was thinking of going with that same rock from BRS

Debow
04-01-2016, 10:23 AM
Ya Rick, I watched BRS's videos about the rock and really like the idea on clean, pest free rock. Makes a nice start. The only things in the tank are what I put in it. I plan on a nice long cycle and curing of the rock. I watched and it looks pretty easy to scape, blends well. The Starboard should be here Thursday so Ill have the stand finished and the tank set-up so I can start the plumbing.

rickztahone
04-01-2016, 09:09 PM
Have you used starboard before? Many have not favored it in recent years because of the build of algae and not being able to scrape it off. I am going BB with my build but painting the bottom with sand textured paint. Not quite the same but still better than straight BB. Please take pics of it with the journey camera :)

Debow
04-02-2016, 08:34 AM
I saw some threads on the Starboard on TheReefTank and Hart24601 mentioned he used in in his reef build. I personally have never worked with it, but I guess we will see. I will try and take some pictures of the tank this weekend I am trying to finish the stand but this rainy cold New England weather is putting a hamper on things. I have one more coat of paint I need to put down and then I can set it up.

Debow
04-05-2016, 08:14 AM
Almost finished the stand, I wet sanded the stand and buffed the front panel, just have to buff the sides and the stand should be done. I used krylon gloss white put down 3 coats and wet sanded with 1500 then buffed with fine cut compound and the panels look like glass super smooth.

Debow
04-06-2016, 07:29 AM
So I finished the stand and what a chore to sand and buff that thing but I have to saw it came out nice. I soft plumbed the 1 1/4'' drains to start and added some pink knobs for my coming daughter.

Second Hand Pat
04-06-2016, 09:49 AM
That came out very nice Devon. Love the pink handles. :D One thing to consider is child proofing this tank and stand.
Pat

Akili
04-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Good Job Devon,turned out nice.:thumbsup:

Phillydubs
04-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Really looking great! Love the touches for the little girl!!!

I second Pat... My son isn't even 2 and he is into evvverything... So def. childproof that thing up or it will be on the floor~!

Debow
04-06-2016, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys! Besides making a lock for the door what else do you advise for child proofing? This is my first time.

Second Hand Pat
04-06-2016, 12:50 PM
A lid and no way for the child to get behind the stand to mess with the plumbing. I know it is a rimless but you will find all kinds a stuff in the tank. Another possible concern is having the child pull the tank on top of itself.
Pat

Phillydubs
04-06-2016, 01:08 PM
Pat pretty much covered it all... Kids can and will climb on anything pull on anything open anything touch anything stick fingers in...

You are obviously a bit away from all that as she isn't born but it happens quick. I actually had a guy come and "childproof" my home, he did specialized gates because I had some bigger than standard openings so he built stuff for me.

Also, a lot of the crap they sell in the stores for childproofing isn't the best, don't be fooled by a label that says it...

Discus-n00b
04-06-2016, 03:28 PM
Looks good!! Can't wait to see it up and running.

rickztahone
04-06-2016, 10:02 PM
Looking very good. TFS

Debow
04-08-2016, 07:27 AM
The starboard bottom came in and I have to saw it looks nice, vary clean. All I have to do was cut out the space for the waterfall return and it dropped right in. I ordered it from TAPPlastics.com and you can have them custom cut and peice down to the 1/8 of a inch so you can get what ever size you need.

rickztahone
04-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Looking really nice. Keep up the great work.

Discus-n00b
04-08-2016, 06:14 PM
Let me know how it is keeping that starboard clean lol. From everything but coraline that is, coraline is fine. What scares me is I'd have everything but coraline growing on it.

Debow
04-10-2016, 05:19 PM
So wile I wait to get my dry rock I played with some news paper and did a scape layout looking for feedback, ideas or even better some photo shop. I want the scape to come out of the water a few inches. I might put some mangroves behind it in the corners.

Discus-n00b
04-10-2016, 05:26 PM
I like it! Keep in mind you water won't be all the way up to the top edge, so you will already be getting at least an inch of rock out of the water below the glass. Just something to think about if you haven't already! I like the scape though.

Debow
04-10-2016, 05:51 PM
Ya I like the layout, and your right about the water line, I'll play with it when I get the real rock. The news paper worked pretty good to get a idea. I saw a guy on reef central do it he even mapped out his coral placemat with pictures stuck on the news paper. 24x24 is a tight space to scape with only 12" of hight. But it's coming out good so far.

rickztahone
04-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Looks good to me. Did you plan on keeping coral you said? If so, they would need a good head height right?

Discus-n00b
04-11-2016, 03:25 PM
Not really Ricardo, well as long as they are wet. Heck a lot of reefs go dry for hours at low tide in nature, SPS just sitting out in the sun pretty incredible. Not sure what type of coral Devon is planning but should be able to just prune the colonies how you want it grown basically. In SPS at least there are ways to train it, to an extent. They will also be formed by their environment, unlike trying to do the same with fish, with coral it's not really harmful. In a small tank I have to keep my coral trimmed or else it goes where I don't want it or grows to large. I'm just getting to this point finally with my SPS. Another trim coming soon I feel like.

I think what you want to be more careful of is shading the bottom with corals up top. Which is why planning it out can be beneficial. You wouldn't want to put a plating acropora or monti cap up top because you have generally a good idea what their growth pattern will look like. Of course IMO this all goes down in a ball of flames once you start the frag frenzy. You keep wanting or acquiring more and more frags and your planning goes out the window, becomes a where is a free space deal then.

Actually time for a WC in my nano reef, wonder what I'll accidentally frag today.

rickztahone
04-11-2016, 03:39 PM
Not really Ricardo, well as long as they are wet. Heck a lot of reefs go dry for hours at low tide in nature, SPS just sitting out in the sun pretty incredible. Not sure what type of coral Devon is planning but should be able to just prune the colonies how you want it grown basically. In SPS at least there are ways to train it, to an extent. They will also be formed by their environment, unlike trying to do the same with fish, with coral it's not really harmful. In a small tank I have to keep my coral trimmed or else it goes where I don't want it or grows to large. I'm just getting to this point finally with my SPS. Another trim coming soon I feel like.

I think what you want to be more careful of is shading the bottom with corals up top. Which is why planning it out can be beneficial. You wouldn't want to put a plating acropora or monti cap up top because you have generally a good idea what their growth pattern will look like. Of course IMO this all goes down in a ball of flames once you start the frag frenzy. You keep wanting or acquiring more and more frags and your planning goes out the window, becomes a where is a free space deal then.

Actually time for a WC in my nano reef, wonder what I'll accidentally frag today.

send it my way! lol. Not quite ready yet...

Debow
04-11-2016, 03:49 PM
Looks good to me. Did you plan on keeping coral you said? If so, they would need a good head height right?

I plan on keeping lots of zoas, hammers, neon green nephthea tree corals, fancy mushrooms, ricordea mushrooms. and RBTA. But a lot could change between now and then I am also thinking of doing a clown fish harem tank.

Debow
04-11-2016, 03:53 PM
Ill pay the shipping for any frags kicking around! =) All that is going in the tank when it is cycled is my hammer, and zoas. Corals in the LFS are to expensive ill have to wait for another frag farmers market.

rickztahone
04-11-2016, 05:11 PM
I plan on keeping lots of zoas, hammers, neon green nephthea tree corals, fancy mushrooms, ricordea mushrooms. and RBTA. But a lot could change between now and then I am also thinking of doing a clown fish harem tank.

Very cool. I will be getting a Bali Yellow Hammer from a local who has some really nice frags.

Discus-n00b
04-11-2016, 07:10 PM
I've mostly got sticks, if either of you ever want to step into that world down the road let me know and I'll see what I have at the time. Never shipped before but could be a good experiment or trial run at least.

I think stuff like hammers, ricordea, green leathers, rbta would be perfect for this tank. Gives it more of a tidepool shallow type of feel especially with exposed rock and possibly mangroves. I think you are on the right track! Clownfish harem would be really cool to see.

Debow
04-16-2016, 01:51 PM
I placed my order for the rock, gate valve, plumbing parts, and grabbed a 200g mix of reef crystals. BRS had 10% off tax day sale.

Second Hand Pat
04-16-2016, 03:30 PM
Damn, you guys are tempting me....:(

rickztahone
04-16-2016, 03:47 PM
You know you want to Pat!!!

Second Hand Pat
04-16-2016, 03:51 PM
Yea, even have a tank I could use.

Debow
04-22-2016, 08:39 AM
Well the order came in yesterday and after hours of fitting and epoxying I was able to achieve a somewhat seamless structure out of 15 or so rocks.

rickztahone
04-22-2016, 12:55 PM
What kind of epoxy did you use?

Debow
04-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Insta Ocean Hold Fast. There are several brands out there.

Phillydubs
04-22-2016, 03:31 PM
Damn Devon, that looks sweet!!!

Almost identical to your newspaper mock up too! Love it

Debow
04-22-2016, 03:40 PM
Ya, it took about 6 try's to get a structure that wouldn't fall over. I wanted it to stand on its own so that when i epoxied it I would know it was a sure thing and I wouldn't have issues in the long run. I realy like it, when it is covered with corline algae and zoa's, mushrooms it will look sweet and some mangroves in the back.

Discus-n00b
04-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Looks great!

Debow
04-25-2016, 12:00 PM
Well I have the tank filled and the cycle is started. dosing with ammonia and monitoring. I did some researched and found threads talking about exposed rock in reef tanks and read the even though the rock is exposed it wicks the water and will actuality have coraline algae grow on the exposed sections out side of the tank.

Discus-n00b
04-25-2016, 03:02 PM
Awesome! I've heard the same for exposed rock, but if it comes to it, you could always take the smallest pump you can find...even a small dosing pump and just pump tank water via hidden airline tubing to drip over the top.

Debow
04-25-2016, 05:16 PM
Matt, that idea is in the back of my mine! I'm going to see what happens with it and if it doesn't look like life is spreading I'm going to add some hidden water lines.

Debow
04-29-2016, 08:32 AM
So small update, I ordered 2 spears gate valves for the drains so I could fine tune them like Ricardo has instructed me in other threads and what a difference is sound. Having one over flow submerged and only a trickle down the other makes this almost 100% quite. Was kind of a pain to redo the plumbing but I had to do it and glad I did. Have to say the valves were $50 each! Also my Ecotech Radion xr15w Pro came in last night, I need to get the hanging kit but I had to un-box it and turn it on. Crappy pictures but figured Id share. I have to say this is one of the brightest led's I have seen. Need to get the reef link to play with the spectrum and set the schedule.

rickztahone
04-29-2016, 09:54 AM
$50 each? Ouch. I am guessing they are bigger than 1"?

This is the one I used and love it:
http://www.amazon.com/King-Brothers-Inc-GVP-1000-S-Schedule/dp/B000H5ZTUY?ie=UTF8&colid=UO4Z3YNWDDIR&coliid=IQ6YEJUOLL7QX&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Only $14 bucks as well. Great quality valve for the price.

Debow
04-29-2016, 10:30 AM
Ya they are 1 1/4'' they are massive and over engineered, but great quality. The one thing I wish I changed was getting clear PVC prime, the purple looks tacky, but guess not one really looks at it.

rickztahone
04-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Ya they are 1 1/4'' they are massive and over engineered, but great quality. The one thing I wish I changed was getting clear PVC prime, the purple looks tacky, but guess not one really looks at it.

Yeah, I used clear on my plumbing because I've used the purple in the past

Discus-n00b
04-29-2016, 02:27 PM
Nice! Love my Xr15w Pro! One of the things I'm dreading about upgrading though is lighting, I'd either have to buy another xr15w or do something else completely $$$. Great light for the money, just expensive.

Debow
04-29-2016, 05:43 PM
Ya, I love it and its not even up yet. I found it on ebay, the seller had a pair on a bracket and I messaged him to see if he would split up the set and he did for $290 shipped. It still has the factory warranty.

Debow
05-02-2016, 04:43 PM
So far the tank is cycling nicely, I have a rise in nitrite and a lowering in ammonia, I ordered a Kessil H150 for the refugium and a bunch of 4" filter socks. The hanging kit for the Echotect should be here also by end of the week. I plan on ordering the diy heater controller also, just trying to figure out what heater I should go with the finnix or won brothers?

rickztahone
05-02-2016, 05:15 PM
I use the Jager variety and haven't had 1 single problem.

Discus-n00b
05-02-2016, 06:09 PM
I'm using a 50w Cobalt Neotherm, older model pre-blow up/melting issues and stuff.

Debow
05-04-2016, 07:44 AM
Yesterday I hung the Kessil and am quite happy with it. I am told it will grow some serious algae and help keep it out of the display.

Discus-n00b
05-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Interesting, never knew Kessil made this. Going to grow Chaeto or something or just let it grow whatever?

Debow
05-04-2016, 12:36 PM
Grow Chaeto, there is a clump in there but you cant see it in the picture. I was watching a video on BRS and they highlighted on the kessils and the grow spectrum.

kira ken
05-04-2016, 03:56 PM
awesome setup, i just suscribe to it, keep it coming, great work

Bala de Plata
05-04-2016, 11:48 PM
Very cool setup. For heaters if your connecting to a controller the Finnex Titanium's are bulletproof. Think they have recently added a bit of redesign safety features also. I have had several and very happy with them.

On that kessil, I have used the red and magenta combined with the Amazon sun and grew monster plants (aquarium) ;)

I'm sure they will great for the fuge, just impossible to look at lol.

Look forward to following your progress.

brewmaster15
05-07-2016, 07:57 AM
Im really enjoying following this thread Devon and the discussions. Thanks for the sharing.

Devon, ever go here? http://headiecorals-ct.com/
Its a coral shop in North Haven. My kids used to take music lessons next door to it.

Al

Debow
05-08-2016, 11:04 PM
Thanks Al,
I have not been there but plan on taking a ride now!

Debow
05-08-2016, 11:09 PM
I was able to get the light mounted and programmed a light cycle. I love how EcoSmart Live works but cant wait to get the Reef Link. This light is worth the money for anyone wondering if they should get one. I would love to try their freshwater version.

Debow
05-08-2016, 11:18 PM
Here is a preview of how the light program works
http://youtu.be/7Qwh_Dp6l9s

Debow
05-14-2016, 09:28 AM
Update,
I was able to get a lot done this week, I got my won brothers titanium heater and controller hooked up and wired. The controller install is something I rather forget about and act light it never happened, It was not easy to wire and install in the stand what so ever seeing that the tank is filled and the sump is in the way but the over all results I am vary satisfied with. I also am having the chaeto double in size so far. Just waiting for the cycle to finish I still dosing with ammonia and still have high nitrites and nitrates.

rickztahone
05-14-2016, 07:19 PM
Nice clean install. I wish I was in the cycling stage :(

Discus-n00b
05-14-2016, 07:54 PM
Nice clean install. I wish I was in the cycling stage :(

Hurry up noob!! JK don't, never rush a reef.

Setup looks nice!! That red light is hard to look at even on photos.

Debow
05-15-2016, 01:38 PM
Thanks, the chato is growing like a weed. I did a short video of me cleaning some algae off the Starboard bottom I know a few of you were interested how it comes off.

http://youtu.be/QOxQsiFIXD8

rickztahone
05-15-2016, 01:47 PM
That's pretty cool Devon

Debow
05-31-2016, 08:01 AM
Well the tank is fully cycled and I am proud to say no fish were harmed in the process. I added my clowns, snails, and crab. They all seem to be doing good but are a little confused on what to do with all the space. I will update with pictures soon.

Debow
06-27-2016, 09:34 AM
Small update,

I have my two clowns in the tank, transferred some zoas over and tried the hammer but it didn't do well so i put it back in the old tank for now. The tank is stable and the water great but the hammer didn't like it for whatever reason. I also picked up a pink pincushion urchin to snack on whatever algae that lingers around. I am at a stand still for now for any further equipment or livestock untill my daughter comes in the next few weeks.

Bc chick
06-27-2016, 10:30 AM
What are frags?

rickztahone
06-27-2016, 12:35 PM
What are frags?

Frags are pieces of coral colonies

Phillydubs
06-29-2016, 12:13 PM
Devon,

Any updated pics w the inhabitants?

When is your wifes due date?

Bc chick
06-29-2016, 04:11 PM
A new baby how exciting. Congrats. Absolutely beautiful stand. Love the pink

Debow
06-29-2016, 05:10 PM
Devon,

Any updated pics w the inhabitants?

When is your wifes due date?

Ill try and get some pictures soon.

She is going to be due any day now untill the 14th looks like it could be early.

Debow
06-29-2016, 05:11 PM
A new baby how exciting. Congrats. Absolutely beautiful stand. Love the pink

Thank you! I love it too and so does my wife.

Debow
07-11-2016, 02:05 PM
Update,
I lost one of my long time clowns, I think the heat might have got him. I didnt have the ac on wile having the baby and the tank got up to 85 degrees and was sucking air at the same time. I think it is still settling out and going through changes that I can not measure. The few coral frags I put in are o.k but not going as good as they were.

Debow
08-06-2016, 06:26 PM
Quick video update. Still need live stock and corals. Found a guy that is selling a 50+ clowns so might go take a look. Really need to find a source for bubble tips.

http://youtu.be/RtyA5bwqc00

Debow
08-12-2016, 08:17 AM
The mangroves came in last night. They all have 2+ leafs. Going to be intresting to watch them grow. I think once they fill in in the months coming it will look nice.

Debow
08-14-2016, 09:03 PM
UPDATE:

I went and picked up my clutch of clowns today I bought 10 and got 2 free along with 3 free frags from a local reefer out in NY. He has been breading them for the past year the mother was a black and white 3'' and the father a normal clown. Going to be interesting how they grow out. last picture is a top down shot of the mangroves.

rickztahone
08-15-2016, 11:34 AM
very cool. I'm assuming you will start selling off some clowns down the line?

Debow
08-15-2016, 04:40 PM
Im planing on getting several BTA's once the protein skimmer is installed and water quality is great. I want to do a species only tank with some inverts and corals along with the clowns and BTA. The school of clowns realy is something to look at, I found myself looking at them for a hour. They are warming up slowly and taking frozen brine shrimp now.

rickztahone
08-15-2016, 05:34 PM
Very cool. I have read mixed reviews about clowns being raised in large groups as youngsters.

They can be very aggressive or they can remain peaceful as they grew up with one another

Was the BRS clownfish harem the inspiration?

Debow
08-16-2016, 09:25 AM
Yes it was, I forget how I came upon the fideo but I thought that was a cool idea and after watching the progression of their tank, and after a year they only lost one fish and had to relocate one other. It gave me the plan to start one. I like the clowns becouse the bob up and down and don't swim too erratically. Also The guy I bought them from said they will host some LPS frog spawns and hammers or bubble corals which are the primary corals I plan to have along with the BTA's.

Debow
08-16-2016, 10:47 AM
Feeding time, still getting use to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hntNPJGBbiU

brewmaster15
08-17-2016, 08:46 AM
Very Cool Devon! Tanks Turned out Beautifully and the Clowns look great. Thanks for the Share! makes me miss my salties.
al

Debow
08-17-2016, 09:07 AM
Al,
Thanks! I have taken what I learned with my discus and became a better reefkeeper. Its nice to have both and see the differences and enjoy both. I think this saltwater tank is going to be something special in time as it ages and grows in. Juggling building and maintaining both tanks is a challenge but its rewarding.

Discus-n00b
08-17-2016, 02:29 PM
This is looking great. Can't wait to see it grown in.

Debow
08-18-2016, 09:19 PM
Thanks,

I finely got the skimmer today. Landed on a bubble magus curve 5 and it started production of skin mate right away. Hope I notice a difference in the water quality.

rickztahone
08-19-2016, 11:33 AM
Thanks,

I finely got the skimmer today. Landed on a bubble magus curve 5 and it started production of skin mate right away. Hope I notice a difference in the water quality.

you absolutely should. Remind me, are you dosing 2 part?

Debow
08-20-2016, 08:55 AM
No I'm not dosing yet, I don't have the corals to justify the dose. I'm just doing regular water changes to replenish the tank. I do plan on doing a 2 part dose from bulk reef supply later on when the tank is more established.

Deus
08-23-2016, 09:20 PM
I was looking at the larger rimless tanks. Would Discus jump out?

Debow
08-24-2016, 08:36 AM
I would suggest a screen top, I made a custom top out of egg crate ( light diffuser) and put it on the tank anytime I am not viewing it. I never saw the point on not having a top and losing a $100+ fish.

Debow
09-06-2016, 10:38 AM
Update:

I purchased my RODI system and like everything with this tank build I got a pretty good deal. The system is a Spectrapure Maxcap 90GPD with auto flush, and two TDS meters. System sells for $395 I picked this one up for $260 delivered. My starting TDS is 61 out is 0. I sold it to my wife saying we can use it for drinking water too. Just need to buy the 3 way ball valve.

rickztahone
09-06-2016, 06:19 PM
Update:

I purchased my RODI system and like everything with this tank build I got a pretty good deal. The system is a Spectrapure Maxcap 90GPD with auto flush, and two TDS meters. System sells for $395 I picked this one up for $260 delivered. My starting TDS is 61 out is 0. I sold it to my wife saying we can use it for drinking water too. Just need to buy the 3 way ball valve.

I bought exactly that same unit from a RC member locally. It had no carbon or DI resin but he sold it to me for $80

Just like everything else, I am yet to set it up, lol.

Discus-n00b
09-07-2016, 12:43 AM
I like the dual TDS meter, do you find them accurate? Wish mine had that, I have a single but It hasn't worked in ages. Maybe it just needs a new battery? Gotta rip it off the wall hopefully tomorrow to move it's location so I might check then.

Debow
09-07-2016, 07:49 AM
Rick,

Thats a good deal, I love the system and I found a leaking fitting and called the company and they are priority mailing me a new fitting and a free 3 way ball valve fo no charge just had to give them my address. Very good customer service.

Debow
09-07-2016, 07:53 AM
I like the dual TDS meter, do you find them accurate? Wish mine had that, I have a single but It hasn't worked in ages. Maybe it just needs a new battery? Gotta rip it off the wall hopefully tomorrow to move it's location so I might check then.

For the most part, I don't have any other method of checking TDS so I trust this. And yes pop the back off and replace the battery. I assume that the TDS will increase as the DI starts to deplete or other filters need to be replaced. The dual is nice so you can see what your tap is and make sure that your product water is zero. I did a sample of RO only without running the DI and the TDS were coming out at 2 which confirms the membranes 98% rejection rate.

Debow
09-14-2016, 08:49 PM
Little video of feeding time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eV8iTgDyno

Debow
09-21-2016, 08:16 AM
One more piece of the needed equipment arived, Watched tons of reviews and after all the discussions and feedback I went with the Tunze. I like that it has 2 sensors one optical and one mechanical as a backup to shut the system down. It also shuts off after 10 minutes of pump time. Easy to hook up and is of good quality. I think I will see an improvement in stability, and not have to top off daily.

rickztahone
09-22-2016, 11:46 AM
It is an industry leader. My controller has inputs for float valves, but before I got the controller, i was really looking in to this one. I have a jbj one, but don't think I can trust it too much.

Debow
10-21-2016, 10:56 AM
Little update, my shrimp and hermit crab have settled in. Crab found himself a nice little cave to hang out in and my cleaner shrimp scavenges around the tank doing shrimp things I guess lol.

Debow
01-22-2017, 07:53 PM
5 month update, Fish are great they have grown so much in 5 months. The dry rock is doing great, coloring up and gaining life. The tank is good equipment is doing its job. I haven't lost one of the 12 and there are no nipped fins or aggression at this point. I plan on adding some RBTA's soon maybe in a month or so. I have lost a few shrimp though. As for as the starboard goes it is good it cleans pretty easy but some times its hard to get off in tight spots. Over all no issues or complaints.

Debow
01-22-2017, 07:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1a_0iq67UE

rickztahone
01-23-2017, 12:36 PM
Looking really good Devon!

Debow
01-23-2017, 04:35 PM
Thanks, I keep checking your homestead for updates on your sw build, you need to get that thing salty!

Phillydubs
01-23-2017, 04:42 PM
Really cool devon! Love seeing a big group like that!

Hows your child like it?

rickztahone
01-23-2017, 04:42 PM
Thanks, I keep checking your homestead for updates on your sw build, you need to get that thing salty!

Yeah, tell me about it. Unfortunately, I don't see that thing going anywhere for a while. Any extra cash has been ear-marked for my wife and I's vow renewal for next year. Seeing as we have to pay for roughly 20 people to fly out to Mexico to join us and have a full on ceremony, money may be tight for the next year or so, lol.

I'm not sure if I can justify to my wife that we needed to have a little side money for the SW tank, lol.

Debow
01-23-2017, 05:52 PM
Ya I hear you on that, Tank builds always are last on the priority list when you have a family. I'm glad I got the bulk of the builds out of the way before we had the baby.

Debow
01-23-2017, 05:53 PM
Really cool devon! Love seeing a big group like that!

Hows your child like it?

Loves it ! I hold her and she sticks her hand in and lets the fish peck at her fingers. She will sit in her car seat and start at them till she falls asleep.

Debow
03-08-2017, 09:03 AM
Sad day for the harem, I came home last night and found one of the clowns laying on the bottom breathing heavy. I moved him to a hospital tank and monitored but to no success he died throughout the night. Tank parameters were good and no other fish seem to be affected. Not sure why he perished but just to be safe I will be doing a large water change tonight. This is the first loss for the tank and not knowing why is frustrating, Seeing that I got the fish at only a few weeks old and had great success. I know some people say they are just fish but when you lose one it hurts. Well on a postive note I will be going to the frag farmer's market this weekend with my wife and daughter which will be fun.

rickztahone
03-08-2017, 01:20 PM
Sad day for the harem, I came home last night and found one of the clowns laying on the bottom breathing heavy. I moved him to a hospital tank and monitored but to no success he died throughout the night. Tank parameters were good and no other fish seem to be affected. Not sure why he perished but just to be safe I will be doing a large water change tonight. This is the first loss for the tank and not knowing why is frustrating, Seeing that I got the fish at only a few weeks old and had great success. I know some people say they are just fish but when you lose one it hurts. Well on a postive note I will be going to the frag farmer's market this weekend with my wife and daughter which will be fun.

They are probably starting to get aggressive towards one another? He probably got bullied.

Debow
03-08-2017, 01:52 PM
That is a possibility, he showed no signs of damage on fins and same goes for the others. I feed them heavy and they all still school together for the most part. I know there are mixed reviews on harem tank success. There is more aggression in the discus tank than the harem tanks lol. I am going to observe and see what happens in the next few days.

Debow
03-10-2017, 09:31 PM
Development: I ordered a Red Sea marine care test kit and did some testing and the results were dramatic.... Ammonia was zero that's was a good thing, my nitrates were 50 ppm!!!! Through the freaking roof! I was in shock... And disapointed in my self. My API test kit showed 10ppm not that bad, but boy was it wrong. I herd the rumors about the accuracy of them being poor but never really experienced it till now. How long has this been going on ? I have began the water change and plan to change at least 95% but can't do it too quickly. This was a eye opener. It's just a shame I had to lose a clown.

Debow
03-12-2017, 08:28 PM
Well after the water change levels are acceptable and all seems well. Went to FFM and took a look around, didn't bother buying anything seeing as I drill need to get a handle on the nitrates.

rickztahone
03-13-2017, 03:31 PM
Well after the water change levels are acceptable and all seems well. Went to FFM and took a look around, didn't bother buying anything seeing as I drill need to get a handle on the nitrates.

that was very high nitrates, but at least you only lost one instead of all. Live and learn my friend.

Debow
04-07-2017, 09:25 AM
Well after a few weeks my nitrates are lowering and I am seeing less algae on the bottom of the tank. I plan on adding a bio pellet reactor in order to help out. Now that I can test and actually know what the levels are I can adjust accordingly.

Ryan925
04-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Well after a few weeks my nitrates are lowering and I am seeing less algae on the bottom of the tank. I plan on adding a bio pellet reactor in order to help out. Now that I can test and actually know what the levels are I can adjust accordingly.

I've read so much and watched many videos about bio pellet reactors. When used properly people have great results. I was trying to figure out a way to use one on a discus tank. Sad to find out it's not possible as the key is to using it in conjunction with your skimmer

Debow
04-08-2017, 09:42 AM
Ya I though of that too, I think when I put one on the sw tank I will see great results. Probably just going to make a manifold to run up to 3 reactors bio pellet, gfo, and carbon if needed.

Debow
06-04-2017, 07:47 PM
Just a 11 month picture update. Fish are doing great still vary little aggression. Water quality has stabilized and nitrates at a minimum. The coralline is growing nicely and finely starting to spot on the bottom. The dry Rock has come along nicely and was worth the wait.

Ryan925
06-04-2017, 09:26 PM
So simple but such a cool setup.

Phillydubs
06-05-2017, 02:30 PM
So simple but such a cool setup.

+1... I thought the same thing! Really cool tank man!

Any plans to get some aanemone in there or anything they can go in?

I was at the mystic aquarium and they have a clownfish herem tank they called it. Tank was like yours but lush with nems and full of clowns, was a pure lovely sight to see!

Debow
06-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Thanks! I have been power feeding the fish and getting them to grow the most I can before I add any nems or corals. There will be plenty of nems to come. Bubble tips and flower nems.

Jenene
06-05-2017, 08:27 PM
Wow Devon that looks amazing! After reading back a bit I am glad I started with the Red Sea kits. They seem to be very accurate. I have really been able to hone in on my Ca, Mg and KH levels testing and dosing until I get the hang of how they interact.

Love the group of clowns. Just gorgeous. Not sure if you saw my last post but I just picked up an amazing Flower Nem. This one is way cooler than the first one which is still doing great. The new one came from The Coral Dudes which does mostly online sales but is local and just ordered 100 of these in. Since I was there in person I got to choose mine. Online orders get what they pick for you.

Can't wait to see the new additions!

Debow
06-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Thanks, I figure a few more months and I will start to add more inhabitants. Once I got the Red Seal test kit I found myself really being able to accurately test my water.

Jenene
06-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Thanks, I figure a few more months and I will start to add more inhabitants. Once I got the Red Seal test kit I found myself really being able to accurately test my water.

It's funny the first time I used the Red Sea kits it took me an hour, now I have it down to a science. I keep a log of readings and dosing. Makes sense of what is going on in there and what I need to adjust.

Debow
08-21-2017, 03:06 PM
Well another update, I just plaved my order for 7 bubble tip anemones 3 rose and 4 green they are coming for a Saturday delivery so I have lots of time to acclimate them. Hope all goes well. Also picked up 10 trochus snails and 2 turbo stails as my clean up crew is not very good.

rickztahone
08-21-2017, 03:10 PM
Well another update, I just plaved my order for 7 bubble tip anemones 3 rose and 4 green they are coming for a Saturday delivery so I have lots of time to acclimate them. Hope all goes well. Also picked up 10 trochus snails and 2 turbo stails as my clean up crew is not very good.

nice. where did you get them from? I was just at the local LFS and this one in particular has some gorgeous corals. Super cheap prices too. I saw a huge RBTA for $29.99. I was like, "I would SO buy that...if my tank was set up" lol

Debow
08-22-2017, 11:07 AM
nice. where did you get them from? I was just at the local LFS and this one in particular has some gorgeous corals. Super cheap prices too. I saw a huge RBTA for $29.99. I was like, "I would SO buy that...if my tank was set up" lol

I ordered them from Vivid Aquariums out your way. I spoke to Dave the owner and he is going to pick out a nice selection for me. They had the fairest prices and I have heard good things about that store.

rickztahone
08-22-2017, 02:07 PM
I ordered them from Vivid Aquariums out your way. I spoke to Dave the owner and he is going to pick out a nice selection for me. They had the fairest prices and I have heard good things about that store.

lol, I actually know Dave. I have photographed his aquarium which I believe I have posted here on the forum. He is such a cool guy. It was unfortunate that he had almost a complete wipe out a month or 2 ago due to power outages in our area.

Debow
08-22-2017, 03:05 PM
Wow thats crazy, I found him on youtube and liked his personality and after talking to him I trusted him. I will be doing more business with him his prices are fair and selection is good.

rickztahone
08-22-2017, 03:51 PM
He was willing to give me some of his Yellow Bali Hammer but i had no tank to put it in :(

Debow
08-22-2017, 04:24 PM
Get that tank wet! lol

rickztahone
08-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Get that tank wet! lol

i really need to, lol. By now you might know that I can be a procrastinator if I am not 100% satisfied with my build. that is exactly what is going on. That, and the fact that I am overthinking this build.

Debow
08-26-2017, 10:04 PM
The anemones came in this morning and all arrived alive. I dripped them for a hour and a half and put them in the tank with all the power heads off and return pump on low. Here is a picture a few hours after they were put in. Not the best but they had a long trip and I turned the light down to 50% to let them adjust. I took a short video of the clowns already hosting the green nem on the left. More pictures to come in the following days.

rickztahone
08-27-2017, 12:27 PM
Very cool

Debow
09-21-2017, 07:27 PM
Little picture update, thinks are going well. I bought a Hanna phosphate checker and get .02 reedings and my CA is 370 Mag 1040 and Dkh 6.4 Nitrate 0.00 Amonia 0.00 on a Redsea pro kit. So all is going well. Nems eat one meal of raw shrimp per week. The clowns aggression has dropped by 50% since adding the Nems.

Jenene
09-21-2017, 09:44 PM
That looks amazing Devon! Love the Bubble tips. Those in combination with the Rock Nems will be really beautiful.

I also ordered from Vivid Aquariums in the past. One thing he sent me was a Brain Coral that was supposed to be a small frag. The piece he sent me was huge at least four or five inches long and three inches wide. It is doing amazingly well.

Your numbers look great. It took me a long time to get there. I finally got a dosing pump and my tank is finally in the zone. This is a fun thread to follow. Something very different from my reef.

Your pictures look great as well. Can't wait to see the Rock Nems!

Ricardo, I know you have an incredible selection of corals out there that are really affordable. You need to get that tank going for us East Coasters...:)

Discus-n00b
09-22-2017, 01:02 PM
This is an awesome tank! Can't wait to see those Nems grow in more.

rickztahone
09-22-2017, 04:07 PM
That looks amazing Devon! Love the Bubble tips. Those in combination with the Rock Nems will be really beautiful.

I also ordered from Vivid Aquariums in the past. One thing he sent me was a Brain Coral that was supposed to be a small frag. The piece he sent me was huge at least four or five inches long and three inches wide. It is doing amazingly well.

Your numbers look great. It took me a long time to get there. I finally got a dosing pump and my tank is finally in the zone. This is a fun thread to follow. Something very different from my reef.

Your pictures look great as well. Can't wait to see the Rock Nems!

Ricardo, I know you have an incredible selection of corals out there that are really affordable. You need to get that tank going for us East Coasters...:)

lol, yeah, I'm working on it. My tank has acquired so much dust though, it's not even funny :)

I know I keep droning on about all of the stuff going on that side tracks the tank builds but we are saving up for 2 back to back vacations coming up at the end of October to Vegas for a week and Thanksgiving week to Lake Tahoe. So...a lot of saving going on and nothing going towards the SW tank :(

Discus-n00b
09-22-2017, 04:18 PM
I feel the same way Ricardo lol. I think i've priced out an upgrade for mine about 3 times now. Have another quote into Reef Savvy but they are still recovering from hurricane so it could be a while. Just got bit by the bug again recently, going to at the very least tear mine down and do a deep clean to try and get the algae and nutrients from neglect under control. Tear out a lot of the old dying/dead corals and get some new sticks. Would be nice to upgrade in the process but it would be at least a few months wait time before I could find and acquire the tank I want. Also going to tackle cable management and hopefully build a nice controller mount/display because when I look at my mess of cables behind the tank and around the Apex it instantly stresses me out.

So if anyone knows a place where I can get a 24-30" (possibly 36) long tank setup peninsula style that is no more than 20" wide that is rimless and also that can be shipped to me or close enough to be picked up please let me know lol.

Debow
01-03-2018, 02:38 PM
Well not much of an update but I added a Vortech mp10wqd I got for free lol My buddy shut down his SW tank and gave me a 29g biocube with all the accessories and one of them was the vortech! Also got a extra Tunze ato still in the box. Needless to say I got a super deal. I think I am going to have to get him and his wife a gift card for somewhere to say thanks. Another thing that happened with the tank I ended up killing 3 nems, I believe I A: Turned up the Radion to high to soon, B: I screwed with the salinity to much or C: lack of experience with nems. SO I have the others and they are just not the same anymore not sure what the issues is but I figured just leave the tank alone and see if stability will help. The fish on the other hand are doing remarkable and the tanks looks great the white bottom is almost 100% covered in purple coraline fuge and the kessil make a tone of chato. But still vary sad about the nems :( the tank has never looked so good. Now it looks empty without all the color.