PDA

View Full Version : Prazi after Metro?

tunerhead24
03-28-2016, 09:11 PM
One of my discus stopped eating and its poop was white and slimy. All symptoms pointed to Hex (Hexamitiasis). I purchased API's General cure and dosed as instructed. I also raised the temp to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. After the 5th day the sick discus began eating again and did not hide in the corner. I noticed the active ingredients for API's general cure are 250mg of Metronidazole and 75mg of Paziquantel . I'm wondering if i should deworm with Prazi after a week or so? Or should I just not do anything. Thanks.

LizStreithorst
03-28-2016, 09:51 PM
You were under dosing the metro. You should dose at the rate of 400 mg daily for 12 days. From what you have said, I don't think you needed prazi at all.

Akili
03-28-2016, 10:42 PM
Medication can be hard on the fish. If the fish is back to normal do not medicate it any more but keep an eye on it.

tunerhead24
03-29-2016, 07:29 AM
You were under dosing the metro. You should dose at the rate of 400 mg daily for 12 days. From what you have said, I don't think you needed prazi at all.

I forgot to mention I medicated for 10 days, the medication came in small packets, each packet is enough for 10 gallons of water. The discus are in a 40 gallon breeder, so I used 4 packets and did a 50% water change every other day.

John_Nicholson
03-29-2016, 08:24 AM
FYI every discus on the planet has hex in its digestive tract. Normally the fishes immune system can keep it in check without issues. You see it when the fish is stressed from another source or illness. Think of it as the common cold. We are exposed to it all the time but normally it is not a problem. Lots of time the hex that people see in their fish is a secondary illness. One of the reason that some people do not have success with treatments is they never identify and treat the primary issue.

-john

tunerhead24
03-29-2016, 07:55 PM
FYI every discus on the planet has hex in its digestive tract. Normally the fishes immune system can keep it in check without issues. You see it when the fish is stressed from another source or illness. Think of it as the common cold. We are exposed to it all the time but normally it is not a problem. Lots of time the hex that people see in their fish is a secondary illness. One of the reason that some people do not have success with treatments is they never identify and treat the primary issue.

-john

John is this something that can come back? The fish that was sick is at the bottom of the pecking order.