PDA

View Full Version : White poo

Kirkl240
04-02-2016, 12:02 AM
I've had a discus with white poo for about 2 months. He's in a qt and have been treating with prazipro and metroplex and 80% water change every other day. I have been feeding him freeze dried black worms with metroplex and garlic guard but I haven't seen him eat. He doesn't look skinny but still white poo. A week ago I started treating him every day and daily water changes but no change. Is there a stronger medicine I should try. Water parameters are ph 7.6 tds 486 ammonia 0. Nitrite 0. Nitrate 5-10 ppm. I know tap water isn't very good but I'm in the process of getting reverse osmosis. Any advice would be appreciated. 96413

farebox
04-02-2016, 01:30 AM
I just went thru what you are going through with the same type of fish. One day got up the nerve and placed fish in an plastic bag to the freezer. I culled this guy after two months of treatment and no improvement.

Akili
04-02-2016, 08:20 AM
Treating for two months with medication is very hard on the fish.What is the Tank temperature? Have you tried Epsom salt in order to clear it's gut.

Kirkl240
04-02-2016, 01:39 PM
Temp is 84 degrees and I have tried Epsom salt. After salt he pooped a lot but a few days later still white poo. Should I have the tank at a different temperature.

LizStreithorst
04-02-2016, 04:31 PM
Nice fish. It looks skinny to me. I don't know the amount of metro in Metroplex. Most brand name meds for hex don't work because the dosage of metro they recommend is too low. I see no need for PraziPro. I know that you have treated this fish for a long time but it still looks and sounds like the fish has hex. If I were you I would call Jehmco tell either John or his wife everything you have told us here, and ask what they recommend you do. John seems to know everything. He's great to talk to.

I think that you need to get pure Metro and treat at the rate of 400 mg per 10 gallons for 12 to 14 days. Your huge water changes are good. Keep them up. It won't hurt to bump your temp to 90 degrees during treatment. Hex has a hard time surviving at high temps. Just make sure that your water has lots of aeration because high temps deplete O2.

Metro is a very mild med. I've never had it hurt a fish. I only suggest that you treat for so long and raise the temp because I fear that by under dosing for so long the parasites have become resistant to the drug.

Kirkl240
04-02-2016, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the replies I appreciate it and will call jehmco on Monday.