PDA

View Full Version : New tank VS old setup tank

eros904
04-07-2016, 12:12 AM
Hi guys and ladies

I'm ross and new to the discus hobby but not new fish hobby. I used to breed Japanese/Thai ranchus then work and family got crazy busy. So today I am needing some guidance on setup. I was thinking of buying this 130 gallon tank with a complete setup ( co2, 2 fluval filters, heaters, white stand, driftwoods, plants) and all of this for $420. Tentative verbal agreement in place. Or starting with a new setup and spending $800-900 for a 75 gallon tank.

What do yall think? I'm leaning towards the used tank and just had concerns with contamination (after all I'll be spending another $700 for discus fishes probably from kenny since he's 40 mins away). Any suggestions? I've hopefully attached the pictures below of the used tank.

Phillydubs
04-07-2016, 12:32 AM
Hello Ross and welcome. Sounds like you have a journey ahead of you! Fun stuff.

I would def go with the bigger tank if you have the room looks nice to me and sounds like a good deal. Are you planning to keep all of the plants and everything else ? Are there fish in there now? These are questions that would need to be answered before you can be guided.

If you are new to discus o would suggest starting fresh w the used tabk but getting rid of everything inside steralizing the tank and equipment and starting fresh. Discus and plants can be very tough and a delicate balance and as a newbie I would get used to caring for the fish first. Your making a great call heading right to Kenny. 40 min?? Lucky man... You def need that bigger tank cause you are going to be at Kennys like every day!!

Phillydubs
04-07-2016, 12:35 AM
Now... If you have experience with plants and can manage them or go wih easy plants and it seems like you have a nice budget set aside for fish... May want to add a few hundo more and stock that tank from the jump. If you get nice sub adult discus 5" plus you could manage them with plants. I'm not sure if your past experience.

eros904
04-07-2016, 12:50 AM
Plan is some sand and driftwood only or a few hardy plants like anubias or tiger lotus lily. I don't want to overdo myself, u know. Baseball season started with the kiddos, plus work and pregnant wife. Lol. But I'm stoked to get this started but I realize I need to be patient. I was actually thinking of buying a 3d background like herb and Don.

Kenny is just across the bay. Psyched to see his new stock but will place an order for next month.

* I appreciate your reply

Akili
04-07-2016, 06:40 AM
Hi Ross Welcome to SimplyDiscus,To all newcomers to this site and this hobby, I recommend to go through the stickies in the Beginners Section and watch this video
https://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8 It is just over an hour long but worth hours of information

P.S. A must read thread form the beginner section http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

Willie
04-07-2016, 09:22 AM
To keep discus, all you need is a heater and a couple of sponge filters. A large tank is nice and a 130 would be great IF you're going to heavily stock it. I think you do better to keep the cost of equipment down and put your money in Kenny's fish. Get large fish for large tanks. Small discus in large tanks will not thrive.

Good luck, Willie

jmf3460
04-07-2016, 09:39 AM
I would go with the used tank, that tank looks very legit, odds are the person who owns it now knows what the heck they are doing and probably has some pretty rare and expensive plants in there you could sell if you're not going to keep all the plants. Ill just state right now that if you are looking to get rid of some anubias (I think I see some pretty mature anubias in there) id love to have first crack at pricing it. Mature anubias already established and attached to wood is very valuable.

eros904
04-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Thank you guys. I appreciate yall thoughts and opinion.

Akili: yes, I have read the newby section and seen the video. Ill do my best not to ask newbie questions. LOL! ill keep reading the site and youtube for videos.

Akili
04-07-2016, 04:17 PM
Thank you guys. I appreciate yall thoughts and opinion.

Akili: yes, I have read the newby section and seen the video. Ill do my best not to ask newbie questions. LOL! ill keep reading the site and youtube for videos.Hey we all are newbies,some have been at it just a little longer.I had my first discus just over 25 years ago and I still have questions about them at times.

ericNH
04-08-2016, 10:47 PM
I agree with the general consensus here - go with the used tank. I got mine used on Craigs list and saved hundreds that way.

eros904
04-24-2016, 09:01 PM

eros904
04-24-2016, 09:03 PM

eros904
04-24-2016, 09:05 PM
https://youtu.be/b-0Ms2XavUU

https://youtu.be/b-0Ms2XavUU

So finally got around to getting the tank and prepping it. I used the ff:

130 gallon tank from CL ( 72in x 18in x 24in )
2x 36" Finnex 24/7+ planted LED light
1 sunsun canister filter ( getting another filter shortly/ UV is off )
Pool Filter Sand #20 Grade Silica Sand - 50 lbs. by Fairmount Minerals ( Amazon for $25/ pretty awesome white sand)
Seiryu rocks
ADA Aquasoil ( 1.5 bags used where the plants are)
Various plants from Albany aquarium ( Albany, CA- the other option besides AFA in SF)
300 watt Hydor inline heater

Goal is to run this for a month w/o any fish and by using the ADA aquasoil I am expecting some ammonia spike. Hopefully in a month, plan is to pickup 6-7 five inch discus' from Kenny in his next shipment.

What do you guys think? thanks

Akili
04-24-2016, 09:31 PM
Looking Good so far.

eros904
04-24-2016, 10:28 PM
Thanks Akili. Trying to be patient and not buy fish. Lol. It's only day 1 and kids are asking when the fishes are coming. It's going to be a long month

When stocking the tank with discus, do you guys think I should give different types or is it more visually appealing to get the same type. I'm loving the red/white super checkerboard

Phillydubs
04-24-2016, 10:35 PM
Why the small amount of fish? If you are gonna keep up w your changes and all why not go for say ten?

eros904
04-24-2016, 10:45 PM
Hey Philly. Good luck on the QB you guys will be getting next we3k.

I'm planning on getting 7 discus' for now. Though, I'll probably end up getting more as is usually the case with me. Haha. I should just get 10 pieces rather than reintroducing new fishes.

Just playing it safe as wife is pregnant and due in 4 wks.

Phillydubs
04-25-2016, 08:05 AM
Congrats on the new one!!!

Think the Giants are going to grab a young qb to settle in behind Eli ?

The only issue you have by adding at diff times is having to qt new fish or risk adding to your group.
That's why u say get all at once.

What strains are you leaning towards ?

eros904
04-25-2016, 01:06 PM
Congrats on the new one!!!

Think the Giants are going to grab a young qb to settle in behind Eli ?

The only issue you have by adding at diff times is having to qt new fish or risk adding to your group.
That's why u say get all at once.

What strains are you leaning towards ?

Since it's a new tank. Do you think I still need to QT the fishes? It'll be just them, u know. Ill probably add some Malaysian trumpet snails and other cleaners like Amano shrimp.

I like kennys super checkerboard red/white discus'. If you were in my shoes. What would u get?

NYG have a new coaching staff. I bet they're going all out for a SB run like the Oliver Vernon signing this past free agency. I dont think theyll draft a QB high in this draft, maybe in year 3 or 4

Phillydubs
04-25-2016, 02:10 PM
As long as it is all new and there are no previous contaminants or inhabitants, then yes you can add all to the tank at once...

Visually is a very personal thing, what I may like, you may not and vice versa, that is something you have to decide for yourself! Going with Kenny is a great choice and start for sure!

I never had or used snails or shrimp, so I am not sure about how you can go about it. I always worry they could be carrying something and to me my discus are worth much more than a few snails or shrimp so I stay away...

My last tank, my wilds, I got 5 discus and 3 pleccos all from John sookn and I added them all at once...

eros904
05-17-2016, 03:48 PM

I did the fishless cycling and it's been done for a while now. I'm also planning on adding Seachem Stability for the 1st 7 days after adding the discus' from Kenny which I'm getting this friday.

Since its a non co2 tank, I guess It'll take a couple of months before the plants fill in the back.

rickztahone
05-17-2016, 03:53 PM
Looking very nice. The only piece of advice I can give is that the wood piece off to the right looks a little out of place. Do you happen to have a piece that is a little more "branchy" and doesn't look as static?

Filip
05-17-2016, 04:19 PM
Welcome to the forum and to discus keeping Ross .
i just saw this thread/journal of yours and im allready likeing it :-).
Great tank , stand , lamps , filters , and on top of that its a steal , thats for sure.
i like your starting setup and will sure follow your discus journey.
And , good luck Ross.

eros904
05-17-2016, 07:09 PM
Thanks Rick and Filip. I'll see what driftwood I have left in the garage. It's just a Malaysian driftwood color.

eros904
05-19-2016, 09:27 PM
https://youtu.be/9LRNxpogXXw

Best I can do, rick. In time the branches should darken up. I'm ready to pickup my discus' from Kenny tomorrow. Yeehaw

Im waiting for the wavemaker with hopes itll assist with circulation

Filip
05-20-2016, 03:50 AM
Great set up on the video Eros.
Be aware not to go overboard with the circulation .
Discus need still spots in the tank to rest and chill out and you already have 2 fluvals .
What is their GPH rate?

eros904
05-20-2016, 04:09 AM
Hello Filip. I actually didn't use the fluval that came with the tank as it was too loud for the living/ media room. I'm using 2 sunsun canister filter ( 380 gph w/ UV and 264 gph ) but flow doesn't seem as they say. Perhaps it's the extra media I've added there or because it's a generic sunsun filter. If you have a chance and looked at the video. The flow to me doesnt seem strong at all and I see shrimp feces sitting below the intake. What do u think?

Filip
05-20-2016, 05:48 AM
I don't get how can Fluval CFs run noisier than Sun-Sun Cf.Thats odd.

Sun- Suns as cheap Chinese CFs ussualy have much lower GPH rate than they are claimed to have, so I guess you are right and you could add an extra power head filter or a wave pump in your 130 gallon tank.

Just be sure to arrange the strong flow along the back side, so that discus can rest in calmer flow in front area.

You can crash a bit of pellet food and pour the dust in the tank to observe the flow and adjust it accordingly.

eros904
05-20-2016, 08:45 AM
Filip,

The fluvals are old and used. They're the 404 version. I have ordered 2 impellers and seems like it made a difference but just had issues priming it. It felt like I was priming the filter with a q-tip. It took for-eeeeeever. Lol.

Phillydubs
05-20-2016, 11:56 AM
I really love the tank and the look and feel! I can't wait to see it full of discus!!

Is today the day? You are headed to kenny? Did you pre-order or are going to pick based on what he has left and available?

eros904
05-20-2016, 04:02 PM
Just left kennys place. Phil. I preordered a very big order. Lol. 2 boxes full

It was a good visit with kenny. Down to earth person

eros904
05-20-2016, 06:06 PM

I'll post them up tomorrow

rickztahone
05-20-2016, 08:49 PM

I'll post them up tomorrow

Man, how I would love to come home to 2 boxes like that.

eros904
05-21-2016, 01:55 AM
Hey rick. Yeah for sure it'd be nice. Haha

The group seems to have settled in nicely. Mosaic leopard took 3 hrs before coloring up. Brighten up the lights temporarily to get a video.
- Wavemaker is too much and will be taken out next WC (already off)
- Should have done a frost background to hide the cords or added a background light.
- Seems like I should have gotten more fishes. Lol.
- My goal is not to have the biggest discus but to have good size, healthy discus'. Water quality will dictate when I do WC's (probably 3x a week).

pls turn the volume down. seasonal allergies.;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7qI4Skc3UM

the discus' lineup:
1. Fiamma Rossa x2
2. Golden checkerboard x2
3. Mosaic turquoise x2
4. Red eagle x3
5. Neon sapphire x2
6. Super Checkerboard Pigeon (thicker-line) x2
7. Super Eruption (select-grade) x2

rickztahone
05-21-2016, 03:06 AM
What a nice collection. Love those sapphire blues

Darcon
05-21-2016, 05:45 AM
Hi Ross
Nice collection :)

How is name of this variety?

it's amazing!

Filip
05-21-2016, 07:44 AM
Great collection Ross.Those colours are just stunning.
They seemed about 4 inch discus to me from the video and that's a good size allready to start with.
15 is also a good number for a 130 gallon.

I would advise you to start with more than 3 WCs for the first month or two , and then adjust and cut down accordingly.Not the other way around like I did :-).

Second Hand Pat
05-21-2016, 08:33 AM
Hi Ross, very nice setup and fish. I would strongly encourage you to do 50% or better the first week. Adding this much bio-load will overwhelm the bacteria bed you have established. Check your ammonia and nitrite level to see for yourself.
Pat

Dhavalsp
05-21-2016, 11:43 AM
beautiful fish, nice setup!

eros904
05-21-2016, 05:31 PM
@Darcon : they are called Red Eagle from the Martin Ng strain

@Dhavalsp : thanks! loving them so far

@Filip & Pat: I appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Very true Pat. I am also dosing the tank daily w/ Seachem Stabilize for the next 7 days to assist w/ Nitrobacter/Nitrosomonas production and will check water parameters daily and as needed. I promise to do my best in doing WC's :thumbsup: though in California we are in a drought and the city is watchingour h20 consumption

Phillydubs
05-21-2016, 06:32 PM
Hell of a group Ross!! Nice choices. They have a lot of growing to do, you got the right amount if you ask me. Gives them plenty of room to spread their fins!

Lucky you to meet Kenny!! Must have been a cool experience!

Tank came along so nicely and has been a fun thread to follow. Hope you keep up with it.

I agree with the others, do as many WC as you can to allow hen to settle and stay nice and healthy.

eros904
05-27-2016, 08:57 PM
Cool. Hopefully it's a sign the discus' are liking their new digs.

@Rick: bro, do you mind moving this thread to Tank journals. Thanks:thumbsup:

eros904
05-29-2016, 11:18 PM
98280 pair#2. All fishes doing well except one w/c I'll have to post under emergency and needing advice.