PDA

View Full Version : How do you transport your gear?

Discus-n00b
04-07-2016, 11:28 PM
Whether it be a small amount or a mobile studio, how is everyone transporting their gear when they go out? Do you have separate bags/cases for each occasion? I find that cases and bags are overlooked especially when you spend hundreds or thousands on your gear. I come from an industry that uses road cases for everything though. Don't always need something serious, but I'm a type of person that likes carrying multiple lenses with me just in case, and I don't want just carry the camera by the strap (Though you will see me sporting a side swivel Black Rapid strap at NADA like in Austin, really handy). When I go on something long like a NADA show I pack in Pelican cases which is great for bringing extra batteries, cables and all of the odds and ends you might need. During the show I carry around a backpack specifically for a camera. I'd love to know what other people are doing, I'm in the market for a new pack due to recent/expanding gear and hopefully more chances to get out and shoot. A new pelican might be on the table as well. One thing I've found that I need or want on my next pack that this one doesn't have much ability to do is a tripod attachment, carbon fiber or not it's a pain carrying it around when I could just clip it in. Looking at a sling type of bag that can carry camera, couple lenses and the tripod.

These are older pictures so the arrangement has changed and I've added to the collection, but I typically pack all my small action cams/gopro types in one case and DSLR stuff in the other. I need to get a photo of the backpack but its a Lowpro Flipside 300 I believe. Has the main pocket opening from the back so no one can snatch the gear without me knowing or the pack off my back. It's small when you have a good collection of gear but decent for a walk around type bag. I like to keep things pretty discrete as possible with bags, none have stickers from camera companies, no Camera logos or anything like that just nice and simple. Thief won't know if he is getting lunch trash, water bottles, and various small items or camera/laptop/lenses whatever. The pelicans I'm a bit more free with, I can lock them up and they don't leave my hotel room/car and are strictly for transport. And they are pretty weather proof so I could easily take them in the elements if I was stationary somewhere for landscapes.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/Cameragear1_zps3de54e95.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/clemmatt/Cameragear2_zpseb53186c.jpg

What's your method? Just curious what others are doing in this department!

SMB2
04-08-2016, 12:04 AM
I used to use Pelican cases for all my underwater gear when I flew to various places. But the cases were advertisements to baggage handlers and were most likely to go missing.
Then of course airlines started charging more for luggage so now I take only what I can carry on. A Think Tank Airline roller bag and Think Tank Backpack. Tripod goes in the one checked bag.

rickztahone
04-08-2016, 06:01 PM
I like Pelican but never got around to purchase one. Everything I need on a shoot typically makes it to my backpack that has space for 2 bodies, 3 lenses, 2 flashes and various accessories. When I am doing a full shoot where I know I am going to do flash photography, I have to carry stand carriers as well as additional accessories to get the flashes on the stands. This is where an assistant comes in very handy ;)