PDA

View Full Version : what combination of filterations work best in a sump

ganesan
04-11-2016, 04:25 PM
[LEFT][LEFT]I have seen so many ways of filtrations in an aquarium sump for Discus fish...can any one say which works best in a combination of mechanical filtration, bio balls, trickle filters and a refugium to the last unit which may have a heater and the pump to push the water back to the main aquarium...

For example when the water first flows through a mechanical unit obviously which would be pads with fine pads followed by coarser pads...some use filter socks instead of pads...what are the pros and cons of these two...is filter socks better than pads or pads better than filter socks.What micron is ideal for a bare bottom discus aquarium housing adults discus fish
The next unit through which the water passes in a sump is usually a tray of bio balls sitting upon an egg tray for example which I read is the best as when water flows through this trickle filter system beneficial bacterias grow well with oxygen...some simply pass the water through bio balls without the trickle filter set up in one chamber..which is betterme

Then the water flows to a refugium or some pass water through a kaldeness or K1 unit and then finally water flows through the last chamber which has a heater and a pump from which water is sent back to the main aquarium...
My query now is what percentage of these combinations work best..

Shall we say the mechanical filteration be given about 20% of space in the sump and then the trickle filter be given 40% of space and and kaldness be given about 20% of space and the last be given 10% where the pump and heater only rests..
So add a moving sand bed filer in some chamber...
Will moving sand filter be any good for a bare bottom discus aquarium..?
How much water circulation the aquarium capacity should ideally flow per hour through the sump...some say 3 times per hour...some say 5 to 6 and some even say 9 to 10 times per hour....is more better than less...it all depends on the bio load of the aquarium I believe but still experts should be having some idea in the field...I see that in some discus aquarium set ups especially in the discus farms that when the water returns in to the aquarium a shower head is placed much like the shower head used in our bath rooms...is this good.../..I feel this will increase the rate of oxygenation in the aquarium greatly which a shower sprinkle system...say i intend to keep a bare bottom discus aquarium of say 6 to 8 feet long by 2 feet wide and 3 feet tall which would be about 120 gallons to 150 gallons capacity...then the sump should be in what ratio capacity ideally to the main tank...for eg if the main tank has a capacity of 100 gallons is it ideal to have a sump of 30 gallons or bigger that is 10 to 3 ratio or it is better to have a bigger sump...what ratio works best in main aquarium capacity to sump capacity is my query here...
Is refugium really worth in a discus aquarium as well as a moving sand or gravel filter.
Any answers will be helpful for me as i an going to set up one large discus bare bottom aquarium with a sump..I have done studies but expert opinion from discus fish keepers will be good...
Any inputs will help me
Thanks

rickztahone
04-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Dr. Ganesan, let me give you some of my insight as far as sumps are concerned. When planning my sump, my goal was to run 2 7" filtration socks. However, when actually building the sump, I couldn't find a way to drill the huge holes for the socks and I ended up skipping it. This was probably one of the best things that could have happened because I have read so many people running socks that are so unhappy with them because they have to constantly throw them in the washer/drier. I use sponges from Swisstropicals and couldn't be any happier with how they perform. They are super durable and I have not had one problem running this.

As far as a fuge, it simply isn't required for our discus. If you were running a heavily planted tank, then maybe, but otherwise, I do not see a benefit to it.

As far as how much media to use? This is a tough question. Typically, you would fill up a specific section of a filter with x amount of media, or however much fits in that section, but with a sump it is different. I personally had a lot of ceramic rings laying around and put them in mesh bags and put them in the sump. I knew it was more than I needed for my particular application.

Check out my signature, I have a build thread there with my 40g sump.

ganesan
04-12-2016, 03:03 PM
Thanks you so much...I have got a good idea from you watching the sump on the youtube...simple sump and nice planning

rickztahone
04-12-2016, 04:57 PM
Thanks you so much...I have got a good idea from you watching the sump on the youtube...simple sump and nice planning

Thanks. Simple wins out!

farebox
04-12-2016, 06:09 PM
An sump is the best way to go, just like rickzahome stated, simple wins out. Go to the Swisstropicals.com site under FAQ, sumps. Or go to purelyporet.com

http://fish2water.co.nz/resources/mechanical%20filtration.png. They explain a lot how to set an sump up.