PDA

View Full Version : I think my blue diamond is dying! Can someone please help!!!

Katbatty
04-11-2016, 08:43 PM
Hi! I am new to the site, but am paniced because I Have a terrible problem... I have 2 blue diamond females and 2 Chinese algae eaters in a 39 gal. tank. One discus is beautiful and healthy, the other appears to be at death's door. She is thin, not eating and very still, darkish in color and breathing very slow. I was recently ill and bed ridden for 2 weeks and my tank was not cleaned for about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. I believe that is when this may have started. Since then, I have been doing water changes every other day, along with Melafix additions. I am somewhat of a greenhorn with Discus, but this is the first Real emergency I have had on almost 2 years... SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!! THANKS!!! p.s. I can't Seem to locate the form that I should be adding to this....

LizStreithorst
04-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Forget the melafix. Change a ton of water, 90% daily if you can, and hope for the best. Chinese algae eaters are not good with Discus. Put them in another tank if you have one.

Katbatty
04-11-2016, 09:30 PM
Forget the melafix. Change a ton of water, 90% daily if you can, and hope for the best. Chinese algae eaters are not good with Discus. Put them in another tank if you have one.

Thank you...s oooooooooo oooooooooo very Much! Going to do water change NOW!

Katbatty
04-11-2016, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE=LizStreithorst;1209428]Forget the melafix. Change a ton of water, 90% daily if you can, and hope for the best. Chinese algae eaters are not good with Discus. Put them in another tank if you have one.[/QUOTE/Thank you...s oooooooooo oooooooooo very Much! Going to do water change NOW!

Katbatty
04-11-2016, 10:56 PM
Liz... water change complete... I forgot to menton that this whole thing seemed to start with cloudy looking eye, which became eyes... and then ewnt on to becone raggedy fins & tail. Just noticed that the healthy discus' eye seems a little cloudy now... she looks fantastic and eating like a horse. I went ahead and put Melafix in with this water change, as this is the only thing I have on hand and all LFS 's are now closed... The sick one seemed a bit ( a very little bit) better before the change, I tried not to disturb her too much and seems no worse for the wear at this point, but still not eating. I don'the mean to pester you, but I wanted you to have all the symptoms...Thank you again...

Akili
04-11-2016, 11:05 PM
Judy Do lots of large water changes for the next few day like Liz suggested.If you can twice a day that would be even better. Use dechlorinator like Prime if do not have aged water.Can you describe your tank like does it have plants and substrate?

Katbatty
04-11-2016, 11:15 PM
Akili...light planted sword plants and pebble gravel. I always use prime with water changes and keep all gravel cleaned intensely and since all this has started, have been moving plants to insure they are good and clean beneath... I upped the temp from 84 to 86 in hopes that this may also help... I also have a bubble wand providing light aeration. I will try to do water changes 2x'S a day, as well.... I welcome any other ideas you may have!!!! Thank you so very much!!

Akili
04-11-2016, 11:28 PM
Raising Discus in a plant tank with substrate does go very well. Substrate tend to hide lot of nasties Discus fair better in bare bottom tanks. Drop your tank temperature to 82. Bacteria blooms at higher temperature.Do have a spare tank that you can move your discus and isolate them and medicate if nessecery?.

LizStreithorst
04-11-2016, 11:38 PM
Don't add any meds until you have done several days of massive WC with stable water. Don't run to the LFS to ask what meds to use. They don't know. We know. Post pics of the fish please.

Akili
04-11-2016, 11:40 PM
Don't add any meds until you have done several days of massive WC with stable water. Don't run to the LFS to ask what meds to use. They don't know. We know. Post pics of the fish please.^^^^^ + 1

Katbatty
04-12-2016, 12:23 AM
I am posting from a Galaxy Tablet & can'take seem to figure out how to get a photo to you...I will keep tryjng!!!

Akili
04-12-2016, 07:48 AM
I am posting from a Galaxy Tablet & can'take seem to figure out how to get a photo to you...I will keep tryjng!!!

Use the forum "Insert Image" icon which is third from the right along the top of the reply box. Your images should be less then 2MBs.

Katbatty
04-12-2016, 09:47 AM
Trying to find the photo post tab, I think I may have unssubscribe to this post... Oh no!!! Now I
I got a fix this, too!!!? Hoping this reply will get me back I the loop!!

Akili
04-12-2016, 11:50 AM
Trying to find the photo post tab, I think I may have unssubscribe to this post... Oh no!!! Now I
I got a fix this, too!!!? Hoping this reply will get me back I the loop!!Hi Judy, look for this

Katbatty
04-12-2016, 06:20 PM
It is with great sadness and tears that I report to you that I lost my girl this afternoon. l hope you don'think me a weenie for the tears, but that is just how I am.... I wanted to thank you all for coming to my rescue, although it seems my s.o.s. was too late... A learning experience was had by me and I made some new friends, so at least I have that....
I think I will continue to do water changes u til I am satisfied that my tank is clean, clean, clean again and that my remaining girl stays a-ok. Again, thank you all anday hpefully, all will go well from hre6 on in.....

LizStreithorst
04-12-2016, 06:35 PM
I'm sorry. I know that it's not much consolation, but anyone who has had Discus for years had killed their share. We learn from our mistakes and move on. It's either that or give up.

rickztahone
04-12-2016, 06:36 PM
I'm sorry. I know that it's not much consolation, but anyone who has had Discus for years had killed their share. We learn from our mistakes and move on. It's either that or give up.

All lessons learned along the way.

You have come to the right place for discus info though and that is a great start. Sorry for your loss.

Akili
04-12-2016, 07:08 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Katbatty
04-12-2016, 10:55 PM
Thank you for your help and kind words....

Katbatty
04-12-2016, 10:56 PM
Thank you so very much.....