PDA

View Full Version : Methylene (sp?) Blue

jkratzwald
04-13-2016, 10:19 PM
Is this the official name for regular ich medicine found at any LFS or is it something completely different?

Akili
04-13-2016, 10:26 PM
Is this the official name for regular ich medicine found at any LFS or is it something completely different?It can used as Ich medications, I use it to prevent Egg Fungus .Complete information here............http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/Fish_Health_Treatments/fl/Methylene-Blue.htm

jkratzwald
04-22-2016, 04:48 PM
It can used as Ich medications, I use it to prevent Egg Fungus .Complete information here............http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/Fish_Health_Treatments/fl/Methylene-Blue.htm

I intend to use it to prevent egg fungus as well. Female should be laying within the next week or so. When do you put it in? Before she spawns, as she's spawning?

LizStreithorst
04-22-2016, 05:00 PM
The way I have done it is to pull the cone of fertilized eggs and dribble it over them.

Akili
04-22-2016, 05:04 PM
I intend to use it to prevent egg fungus as well. Female should be laying within the next week or so. When do you put it in? Before she spawns, as she's spawning?I add to the tank when they finish spawning if I am there,if not as soon as I see the eggs.

Fishquake
04-22-2016, 08:18 PM
Do you notice a significant difference in fungus using the Meth Blue Liz?

LizStreithorst
04-22-2016, 08:20 PM
It helped back when I had a problem. Heck, it can't hurt to try it ans see.

jkratzwald
04-22-2016, 09:26 PM
I don't use a cone. My tanks are drilled and have stand pipes. They always spawn on the stand pipe. If she follows schedule, she should spawn again by mid week. I have the meth blue ready to go. Wish me luck. LOL

Keith Perkins
04-22-2016, 09:39 PM
There was an article published in the last year or two that stated that if MB was present in sufficient quantity at time of free swimming it caused belly sliders. I know for a fact it's not a problem if you do the large daily WCs you should be doing anyway between its use and free swimming, but just putting it out there for anyone who might not be very diligent about their WCs.

jkratzwald
04-23-2016, 09:58 AM
There was an article published in the last year or two that stated that if MB was present in sufficient quantity at time of free swimming it caused belly sliders. I know for a fact it's not a problem if you do the large daily WCs you should be doing anyway between its use and free swimming, but just putting it out there for anyone who might not be very diligent about their WCs.

Interesting. The brand that I bought (Kordon) says to keep treatment active until 3 days past free swimming on egg layers. So you say this will/could cause trouble if the free swimmers are exposed for that long?

Akili
04-23-2016, 11:53 AM
Interesting. The brand that I bought (Kordon) says to keep treatment active until 3 days past free swimming on egg layers. So you say this will/could cause trouble if the free swimmers are exposed for that long?I use the same product.If you put in on the day the eggs are laid and do your water changes daily by the time of free swimming there is not much of Methylene Blue left.From egg to free swimming it is nearly 6 days.

jkratzwald
04-23-2016, 04:02 PM
I use the same product.If you put in on the day the eggs are laid and do your water changes daily by the time of free swimming there is not much of Methylene Blue left.From egg to free swimming it is nearly 6 days.

How much of a water change do you do per day?

Akili
04-23-2016, 04:53 PM
How much of a water change do you do per day?With my last batch of eggs I changed 30% to 40 % for the first five days after the eggs are laid, after that 50 % daily and when I started feeding baby brine shrimp then it was 100% every day.

jkratzwald
04-27-2016, 10:03 AM
Right on cue, they spawned last night. I put the meth blue in right after they were done. Here's hoping it all goes to plan!!