PDA

View Full Version : Prophylactic treatment for new juvies

djdirte
04-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Hello all! So I finally received my first batch of 2.5-3" Juvies from Hans yesterday, and their attitudes, curiosity, and willingness to eat is slowly starting to show. I have the majority of recommended medications on hand. My tank has been cycled via fishless cycle for nearly two months before introducing my fish yesterday, and I may start prophylactic treatments on them on Monday.

So I was wondering, is doing a prophylactic treatment of my new guys suggested? Ive read over many of the different quarantine procedures, but should i apply any of this to them? Of course, im trying to make sure I do everything properly. ill be doing 50-75% water changes daily.

Guidance is definitely appreciated. :)

LizStreithorst
04-29-2016, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't treat for anything unless I saw symptoms. Hansie's fish are generally clean.

djdirte
04-29-2016, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't treat for anything unless I saw symptoms. Hansie's fish are generally clean.

This is very encouraging :)

Phillydubs
04-29-2016, 04:17 PM
They don't call her mama bear for nothin!!!

I have to agree though. I can't speak for anyone's QT Process as far as the sponsors go but I am pretty sure they all make sure the fish are good and healthy before they go out. I've never done a thing to any of the fish I've gotten from sponsors here. Just keep them in good clean water and well fed and enjoy them!

Don't over think it. I know it's new and exciting to get new fish and you are like glued to the tank... Sometimes step back and just enjoy.

Trust me I went through this a month ago with my new wilds. And multiple friends and members said CHILLLLLLL

The best advice I got was make sure you are like a good ten feet from the tank otherwise you just harp on every movement and over think it. I had my face like pressed to the glass j would watch one fish for ten min and look him all over how is it breathing acting eating ... I was stressing my self out and not enjoying them and relaxing

So if I can try an odd that great advice to you... Enjoy them and let them relax you not the other way around !! You did it right and for great stock and I've been following your build and your plan and you seem to have really done it right. Rely on that and know you started out way ahead of the game. Change that water feed and watch them blossom

warblad79
04-29-2016, 05:16 PM
I do quick PP bath for my juvies at least once a month. it helps eliminating bacteria, fungal, gill fluke and some parasites.

DISCUS STU
05-11-2016, 04:04 PM
If they're fish that I'm not sure about, from a lfs/lps or something similar, I generally treat with PraziPro for 10 days concurrently with Metronidazole for 6 days. Levamisole isn't a bad idea after a rest of a five or so days from the first two. When you're not sure, an ounce of prevention is definitely worthwhile. I'm not above seeing something that looks promising at a decent lfs and bringing it back home to clean it up. Yes, I take in strays, lol. My current female breeder is a beautiful fish that I bought at about 1.5-2" from a lfs and I did this with her.

Thant having been said, Hans has a very good reputation and prophylactic treatment may be something I probably wouldn't do in that case, just keep them in qt.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Cevoe
05-13-2016, 12:57 PM
In my opinion, Stendker discus from Hans are as close to bullet-proof as you can get.
Considering that and the amount of water you will be changing you should be fine without any treatments.