PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Matt, I got a new body too!

SMB2
05-01-2016, 04:12 PM
Just playing with a D500. It has been raining for three days so I haven't gone outside yet. But after setting up my menu I just had to play with the camera for a while.
Hand held shots with a 60mm macro lens. Taken from my 45 gal SW cube. Not much of a test, but at least I know it works!!!

Second Hand Pat
05-01-2016, 04:18 PM
Those are beautiful Stan :D How do you get the DOF on the macro lens. I bumped aperture down to F11 on the those flowers. Perhaps I need to go lower?
Pat

rickztahone
05-01-2016, 05:13 PM
Cool looking frogspawn Stan. Beautiful shots as always.

SMB2
05-01-2016, 06:34 PM
How do you get the DOF on the macro lens. I bumped aperture down to F11 on the those flowers. Perhaps I need to go lower?
Pat

All lenses have a "sweet spot". So more is not always better. I wasn't all that concerned with DOF in these because I was just playing around.
And with flowers I don't always think the greatest DOF works; sometimes selective focus with shallow DOF is more pleasing.

Discus-n00b
05-01-2016, 07:53 PM
These are really nice, really like the last one. Well you can't tease me with those nice photos and not post a FTS bad or not of that SW tank!! ;)

Where are you Canon 5d MK IV? :( I'm hoping we will see it announced in August. Still a wait, but more time to budget. I'm still rocking an 8 year old body, that's a bit crazy in a technology world and how fast this camera sector moves. I'm hesitant about upgrading to a 4 year old body in the MK III even now. So here I wait to see what Canon wants to do. Maybe I should just spring for one of Canon's 50MP 5DSr monsters and pickup a cheaper MK III (better every day body) or keep rocking this MK II if and when they announce the MK IV lol. Got me thinking now.....perhaps it's time I rent one and see. Y'all are bad influences, I can't afford a new body AND a new reef tank at the same time!!

Second Hand Pat
05-01-2016, 08:25 PM
All lenses have a "sweet spot". So more is not always better. I wasn't all that concerned with DOF in these because I was just playing around.
And with flowers I don't always think the greatest DOF works; sometimes selective focus with shallow DOF is more pleasing.

LOL, no easy answer eh Stan...ok. More practice and play :D

SMB2
05-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Well you can't tease me with those nice photos and not post a FTS bad or not of that SW tank!!

Funny I don't have any non iPhone shots. Will have to work on that. It is just an AIO JBJ 45gal cube. I have had several large reefs but we live in a small house now... I have to say this tank, up since Oct. has been a lot of fun. Very easy to care for, easy weekly WCs and an auto top off.
I have a Fire Dartfish pair that live in the same bolt hole, a Citron Goby that will get in you shirt pocket if it means food and a Possum Wrasse (no photo). And a Cowry who steam shovels all over the place.
Slowly adding mixed corals but I have an orange Monti that has gone from a quarter sized frag to the size of a coffee saucer.

As far as your camera conundrum, I would wait if that is the Canon rumor. I don't follow their line all that much but I would not buy old technology if it can be avoided. The new Nikon D500 is really a nice camera for the money. I don't have any Dx lenses but I see this camera on my 500mm. I guess it is an expensive TeleConverter!